Gotway MCM5 vs colombian big*** hill

If you look at my other post you know that I had some tire and wring issues with my MCM5 dubbed (the hill climber). Today I put that name to the test. I was really excited because I have not been able to use it for 3 months (self-injury, wiring issues, Colombian customs bureaucracy).

It lives up to its name, this thing powered up hills with my weight 175lb + backpack). I got up about half way when I noticed the temperature was about 65 C. I just powered it off for a while then continued later. It was rather funny seeing the strange looks and people asking "Is that a suitcase" in Spanish. One lady shouted "Oh My God" in Spanish. I have seen a least one ECU in the more affluent parts of the city so I am definitely not the first.

But as I went back down, I ran into the REAL issues. Going down very steep hills. I think this unit uses the motor as the break and while it can eventually stop going down mid-way, it stops with the speed of a metro train. When you add in the imperfect road, twist and turns on the hills and traffic it becomes too much to deal with at once. When you see a fatal pothole, you must see it far in advance to slowdown more and turn. The smallest leans in the wrong direction will cause you to fly down the hill and create even more time to slow down.

Not all hills are like that so I am confident after taking that hill I will have many places and trails to explore and will conquer them.

Here is a shot from the top of a big*** I overcame. I started from the bottom.

gJIbzMb.jpg

PS does anyone know the safe temperature zone for the MCM5? I dont want a cutoff.

going downhill is hard for the machine. Despite the name as bigger and more powerfull wheel would handle your terrain better. The MCM5 is for light weight ppl. The name is a gimmick really. Inmotion V11 would be great for climbing on bad roads also veteran Sherman. They both have issues that you need to deal with but you prob need more power.

keep the mcm5 for fun but its climbing abilities depends on your weight, bigger fatter wheel for your needs is an advantage for sure. Gotway monster might be too big. Youmight want extra padding on the wheel coverplates are very fragile. They screwholes holding em are bad design. New ones are expensive. 

more here  

Edited by Finn Bjerke
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

going downhill is hard for the machine. Despite the name as bigger and more powerfull wheel would handle your terrain better. The MCM5 is for light weight ppl. The name is a gimmick really. Inmotion V11 would be great for climbing on bad roads also veteran Sherman. They both have issues that you need to deal with but you prob need more power.

keep the mcm5 for fun but its climbing abilities depends on your weight, bigger fatter wheel for your needs is an advantage for sure. Gotway monster might be too big. Youmight want extra padding on the wheel coverplates are very fragile. They screwholes holding em are bad design. New ones are expensive. 

more here  

I've watched afew videos from that user and he test a lot of wheels at something called overheat hill. The MCM5 made it and the Sherman didn't. Though I do agree with you, its likely a power issue. I can still handle medium hills well.

17 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

more here  

The Sherman is hardly a good hill climber given its lack of low end torque but gobs of high end speed. Do you even own the wheel? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xthrax said:

I've watched a few videos from that user and he test a lot of wheels at something called overheat hill. The MCM5 made it and the Sherman didn't. Though I do agree with you, its likely a power issue. I can still handle medium hills well.

eh-hem, that user would be the Dark Lord, @Marty Backe, the grand wizard of the forum. You should catch up on his other 15,592 posts and awesome videos.

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 1.21.16 AM.png

Were you descending much faster than you were climbing?

You are charging the pack when braking. If you go fast you might exceed some max currents.

If you see you're coming to a steep section make sure you reduce speed before it starts.

Is this the 1500W MCM5 84V model? How big is your battery pack?

Edited by alcatraz

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Were you descending much faster than you were climbing?

You are charging the pack when braking. If you go fast you might exceed some max currents.

If you see you're coming to a steep section make sure you reduce speed before it starts.

Is this the 1500W MCM5 84V model? How big is your battery pack?

Yes, 1500W MCM5 84V. I have the 800w battery. At times slow, at times fast. It was way too easy to start losing control and descend too quickly.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:25 AM, Xthrax said:

Yes, 1500W MCM5 84V. I have the 800w battery. At times slow, at times fast. It was way too easy to start losing control and descend too quickly.

The MCM5 accelerates alarmingly rapidly.  I can see how riding downhill could get sketchy.  I was not quite happy with the way my MCM5 handled when I had one.  It wasn't just strong, it was too sensitive.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:47 PM, xorbe said:

The MCM5 accelerates alarmingly rapidly.  I can see how riding downhill could get sketchy.  I was not quite happy with the way my MCM5 handled when I had one.  It wasn't just strong, it was too sensitive.

It be honest I do feel like getting the new Tesla v3 or Gotway RS 19 when it comes out. The MCM5 is good for starting and going on flat coherent surfaces but not the imperfect roads here.