V11 riding technique, advice appreciated

Denny Paul

Hi guys,

I find the V11 is so different to ride compared to a non suspension wheel, it’s like I need a different riding technique. Who has ideas? I’m coming from a nikola+, and I was feeling pretty confident on that.

Observations:

1) Despite the height of the wheel, you legs touch the saddle quite low, mid shins for me. Usually I fix this by adding some pads just above my ankle, but yeah I can’t cause of the suspension. 

2) The high center of gravity makes me feel unsteady at speeds above 25 mph. I can counteract this by crouching low, but that’s kinda tiring. 

3) I’ve noticed that in order to brake hard or accelerate hard, I’ve really got to get low, ass nearly touching the saddle. That’s the only way I can dig my heels in enough and stay balanced.

I’ve never gotten used to power pads, never felt the need. But now, I feel like they might be a necessity, and have some Clark pads on the way. But I dunno.

I added some thin neoprene on the saddle for grip. That’s helped for sure, but still not feeling connected. 

The one thing that I learned after almost getting bounced off several times is to prep drops or any suspension activity with heels dug in. I find riding on the balls of your feet or toes on the V11 really affects your ability to stay on the pedals when the suspension is active.

• Like 1

Pads are imo pretty mandatory for the v11.  Its so slick on its sides and thin, for me anyways it contacted my wheel odd without pads. And for brakeing you really need something to grip with your calves to get the power out of the motor.  As for faster speeds, the v11 likes to carve, going perfectly straight seems less stable than other wheels imo. The clark pads will help you to get the wheel under control

• Like 3

On 3/5/2021 at 10:34 PM, Denny Paul said:

1) Despite the height of the wheel, you legs touch the saddle quite low, mid shins for me. Usually I fix this by adding some pads just above my ankle, but yeah I can’t cause of the suspension.

Of course you can!

313-CD97-C-6224-41-AF-B6-A2-84-CA3-B5-F68-CC.jpg

2) The high center of gravity makes me feel unsteady at speeds above 25 mph. I can counteract this by crouching low, but that’s kinda tiring.

Make sure your suspension sag is at least 3-3.5cm.

I would also try a little lower tire pressure. I noticed that the stock tire gets quite lively for my 110kg riding weight when filled to above 2.2 bars.

3) I’ve noticed that in order to brake hard or accelerate hard, I’ve really got to get low, ass nearly touching the saddle. That’s the only way I can dig my heels in enough and stay balanced.

Without pads the V11 is a wheel best suited for calmer side of riding styles.

still not feeling connected. 

I definitely noticed that the transition period was much longer for the V11 than it was with my previous upgrades. The ride really is that much different.

To make the transition easier, I would try higher suspension pressures to make it stiffer. Be sure to check the sag though, since you can’t just increase the bottom chamber pressure and be done with it. The top chambers must be matched to get a suitable sag.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

On 3/5/2021 at 7:34 PM, GoGeorgeGo said:

Pads are imo pretty mandatory for the v11.  Its so slick on its sides and thin, for me anyways it contacted my wheel odd without pads. And for brakeing you really need something to grip with your calves to get the power out of the motor.  As for faster speeds, the v11 likes to carve, going perfectly straight seems less stable than other wheels imo. The clark pads will help you to get the wheel under control

Here Here I second George's words.  When I got the v11 version of the Clark pads it was like a magical poof happened... it's a different wheel.  I have learned to use these things like I was blind and these pads are brail.  I use them for leverage on acceleration and braking, I also can tell right away if my mount was good or not because it acts like template of where my feet are.  My mounts currently suck, but are getting better :P

Some reviews of the v11 clark pads don't like the missing heel hookup peg, but I heard other reviews that made the observation that when riding seated, it could be advantageous to be able to lift your heel up.

• Like 1