Full send on the sherman

MaxG

3 minutes ago, MaxG said:

Yes right not it's cold and snowy but come March the mudd is out of control! Mudd guard added. Thanks!

No worries. You're gna LOVE the euc. Its unlike anything else I've experienced. Very freeing feeling and its simplicity makes it even better. The mudguard for the sherman is one of those RARE addons that actualy works and seems like they tried it out before putting on sale.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaxG said:

I'm actually kind or surprised it isn't included considering the price tag! What wheels do you own?

Don't be surprised, and welcome to the world of overpriced experimental mobility devices

<------------------

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, stephen said:

They say its a quicker learning curve if you can ride a normal unicycle because your body's used to balance, keep us updated

Will do. I think I’ll record the whole process as a complete noob and post it.  I saw one video about a guy who bought a Sherman as his first and said it was a mistake but I feel there is so many variables hat but would be good to have a second opinion out there.. either that or I’ll completely fail and make a video agreeing with him 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, null said:

Indeed, It's a sort of "tradition" of Gotway (who is now Begode) for some weirdo stingy reason. Veteran key people are ex-Gotway, so they must have thought it was a good idea to continue :wacko:

(Else: congratulations and welcome. You should learn easily and EUCs are great fun)

Seems like a silly tradition.  It’s def not worth the $85 CAD ($66USD) that is being charged! If I wasn’t so excited to just get on it and get going I’d probably just 3d print one.  Anywho that’s for the msg and looking forward to rolllllllling 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NickNonsense said:

I came from a regular unicycle. You'll find you just hop straight on it and go and if not you will be nailing it in couple of minutes. 

Great choice. 

I’m going to film the process. I’m anticipating a fairly quick session before I can ride it. Now riding it safely and with style will probably take a lot longer.  I’m planning on buying gloves and a helmet for sure. What pads are you wearing ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NickNonsense said:

I came from a regular unicycle. You'll find you just hop straight on it and go and if not you will be nailing it in couple of minutes. 

Great choice. 

I could ride a regular unicycle. It still took me a couple weeks to get the basics. Im just a slow learner.

@MaxG As for pads... ALL my bones were covered in skin and some of it had denim and cotton over that. It was warmer then, so I didnt include any jackets. :) If you think $65 is a hard pill to swallow for a working part, just wait until you see what kind of quality you get for $3k. The sherman is one of the better, but its quite a shock to learn that 'good' is a relative term and the euc world grades on a wretched curve.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Pads? While you're learning, absolutely get something to protect your ankles and shins... can be dumped later on but there are some pretty gross pictures of "pedal bites" that happen when you fall off the wrong way and the pedal smashes your ankle and shin. Something HARD. Consider boots too. A Sherman nearly clipped somebody's Achilles, that would set back your program for a long time.

And wrist guards with hard plastic sliding surfaces on the palm... you'll fall forward most frequently and your arms/hands want to catch you. These are almost as important as the FF helmet. Gloves are good inside the wrist guards to reduce the chance of road rashing your fingers.

After that, you can spend wads or very little but after buying individual knee and elbow pads, I decided it was better to get moto gear with the pads built in. Just makes getting ready easier, which in turn means I'm always geared up. I banged my shoulder pretty good, and my butt (trying to go backwards, none of that nonsense for a while) in very low speed learner crashes so I'm a fan of stepping into the moto pants and mesh jacket. But I'm old and brittle too, you probably heal faster.

Last note: when you do fall off, you might get run over by a 70 lb wheel encased in a rollcage with skid pucks sticking out that's been bouncing along after you. Has a touch more impact effect than does a manual uni.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I'm also a regular unicycle veteran. I got an mten3 just after Christmas and then received a gotway RS two weeks later. Both of them I just hopped on the first try. The mten3 was a bit tricky but the RS just felt solid like a train. I clip in to my regular unicycle so every upd results in a face plant. My regular unicycle is a geared 36 inch. I always pad up on that. I've been using flexmeter wrist guards for 8 years now. I'm on my 4th set. I tend to crash enough to wear them out. My knee protection used to be POC bones downhill armor but seems they don't make them anymore. I've gone through 3 sets of those. I now have Leatt knee and shin guards. I still have POC bones elbow and forearm guards. I'm on my 2nd set. Those have taken some very hard hits. On the electric unicycles I usually wear a helmet, knee and wrist guards. Sometimes on the mten3 I just ride it without anything.

• Like 2

If you gear up with the mentality you're going to unexpectedly go down at 50MPH, pile up into a curb, then get hit by a land torpedo, you'll save a lot on hospital bills. :huh:

We tend to plan optimistically, and eventually the unforseen happens...  I'm not a safety snob (rather far from it). Spending time here with members who shared their unfortunate incidents (many at slow speeds) clued me in to what I don't know. Quality gear is way cheaper than bodily repairs. 

13 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

If you gear up with the mentality you're going to unexpectedly go down at 50MPH, pile up into a curb, then get hit by a land torpedo, you'll save a lot on hospital bills. :huh:

We tend to plan optimistically, and eventually the unforseen happens...  I'm not a safety snob (rather far from it). Spending time here with members who shared their unfortunate incidents (many at slow speeds) clued me in to what I don't know. Quality gear is way cheaper than bodily repairs. 

Solid advice!

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, MaxG said:

Hey guys, I just pulled the trigger on a new Sherman and wanted to say hi. Its my first euc but I can ride a unicycle and at 35 and 160lbs I'd like to consider myself fit. Looking forward to attacking the learning curve and learning how to ride these beasts . Looking forward to engaging more with everyone here  on this awesome forum. Wish me luck!

Im 31 and in the same boat about to pull the trigger on my first euc but I’ve decided on the rs19hs for my first because of the lighter weight and don’t need the distance of the Sherman. Anyways good luck should be a sweet probably the best built on the market