Unable To Turn Off V11

EUC_user

As the title states, I’m unable to turn off the V11.

The issue started earlier today when the app couldn’t connect via bluetooth. This is the first time this has happened for me. I rode the V11 last night just fine with the updated iOS app. So, I hard rebooted the V11 which then allowed me to connect to the V11. The problem now is that the V11 will no long self balance and can no longer be turned off.

All other functions work (lights, horn, transportation mode (at least according to the prompt when entering back into the app, even though the power stays on), fan, calibration (which only works when on the kickstand and surprisingly now when the vehicle is upright; it will not work when it’s on its side/horizontal), and diagnostics). It also has been charged to 100% per the app and green light according to the charger.

When I push and hold down the power button, it plays the three countdown sounds, three times. The app also warns that holding the power button can cause the machine to turn off if riding. However it never turns off. A single push of the power button allows the light to turn on and off.

I even reset the settings in the app and that did nothing.

EDIT: I was able to turn off the V11 before resetting it when I encountered the Bluetooth/app connection issue. It also self balanced too.

Edited by EUC_user

I think one of the control boards are damaged (short?). Why? I’m unsure. I have my speed limited to 29 MPH and I don’t ride hard.

I removed the cover and unplugged the batteries and the V11 obviously turned off. Plugging them back together turns the V11 back on immediately and the same condition as before happens.

The switch seems to work fine since I’m still able to turn the light on and off using the power switch.

Edited by EUC_user

Both control boards have been replaced and the same issues persists: unable to turn off (it turns on immediately/sparks when plugging in the yellow connector) and the wheel doesn’t balance.

The physical power button turns on and off the light. It will not turn off the EUC. The soft power button in the app does nothing.

The diagnostic menu shows no issues when the test is run.

The V11 doesn’t turn off or balance when the lift kill switch is being pressed. I would unplug the switch and check if it changes things.

1) Pry out the rubber grommet where the cable from the handle enters the headlight assembly, and unplug the connector right under the grommet.

If that doesn’t change anything:

2) Open the control board cover and unplug the small connector on the top board and try again.

Be careful: The wheel may start to try to balance when unplugging either connector!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The V11 doesn’t turn off or balance when the lift kill switch is being pressed

That's a subtle tidbit, I hope that's it!

(for the curious, I just tried that on my 16XS, controller v1.2, firmware 2.0.2, and it turns off with a long press even when lifted so it behaves differently)

Edited by Tawpie

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

The V11 doesn’t turn off or balance when the lift kill switch is being pressed. I would unplug the switch and check if it changes things.

1) Pry out the rubber grommet where the cable from the handle enters the headlight assembly, and unplug the connector right under the grommet.

If that doesn’t change anything:

2) Open the control board cover and unplug the small connector on the top board and try again.

Be careful: The wheel may start to try to balance when unplugging either connector!

To clarify, the EUC immediately turns on (you can hear arching/sparking) when connecting either of the yellow connectors with the control board cover removed.

NOTICE!

First check on your dealer to see if you can do these things to your wheel. You might lose warranty just by opening the wheel!

I am unfamiliar with V11, but this does sound like problem caused by the lift switch.

Theories to check upon:

1.) Could the broken lift switch have turned the wheel to transport mode after the app update?

2.) Something causing bridge in control board? (Like small copper wire or piece of metal piece from drilling. Batteries need to unplug to check this up)

3.) Checking wire of the lift switch, is there damage?

Possible fixes:

4.) You could try pressing the lift switch if is working or not. If the switch is pressured in can you pull it out abit? Tell us how it feels. Is it working?

5.A) Removing connecting wire of lift switch from control board. (After unplug, power on to see if device works without the lift switch.)

5.B)Checking the wire for damage. (Device need to be (OFF) powered down and wire unplugged. Then check the wire if it is broken. Take pictures.)

6.) If the control board is the problem, it is more tricky. Batteries need to be disconnected and the board drained of power before it can be inspected.

You could lose warranty and cause damage to board if you are unfamiliar with electronics. Contact you wheel dealer.

Answering to all the things I numbred up should help with diagnostic. Provide us with pictures.

Hope you get this sorted out and power it off.

Edit:

7.) Power switch could be the problem too. I was uncertaint but you said that the device powered immediately as you plug it in to control board? Sounds like it could be shortcut, broken wire maybe?

Edited by Tasku

I’d like to clarify again that I have replaced both control boards and the same issues occur.

Plugging in the yellow connectors to test the wheel means that the handle with the lift switch are not connected since it was removed in order to access the control boards.

EDIT: I’ve been working with the dealer; they are the ones who sent the control boards on two separate occasions.

Edited by EUC_user

4 minutes ago, EUC_user said:

I’d like to clarify again that I have replaced both control boards and the same issues occur.

And that is definitely the strangest aspect. But unless the new board is also faulty or broken in the exact same way, there isn’t much left that can cause the issue.

4 minutes ago, EUC_user said:

Plugging in the yellow connectors to test the wheel means that the handle with the lift switch are not connected since it was removed in order to access the control boards.

Was the lift switch cable coming from the headlight assembly connected to the board when you plugged in the yellows?

Makes me wonder what would happen with the old firmware.

Most companies do not like people tampering with the device and the "maintenance mode" was introduced. There is usually a thing you gotta do before the normal functions resume. Could this be the case with V11 too?

Edited by Tasku

5 hours ago, Tasku said:

Makes me wonder what would happen with the old firmware.

Most companies do not like people tampering with the device and the "maintenance mode" was introduced. There is usually a thing you gotta do before the normal functions resume. Could this be the case with V11 too?

I don’t know of a maintenance mode in the V11. I have torn the wheel apart multiple times with the latest fw 1.2.1 without facing special requirements to make it balance again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tasku said:

Reading this all up I would bet my money that the power switch is at center of this somehow.

The power switch works as intended expect for turning off the EUC.

Pushing the physical power button turns the light on and off without issue. Pushing and holding the power button eventually gives an audible noise of 3 beeps like in a countdown sequence. But nothing happens to the wheel.

When holding the power button down for a long time like that, the app reports that holding the power button down for a long time while riding will turn off the wheel and therefore the user should get off.

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

And that is definitely the strangest aspect. But unless the new board is also faulty or broken in the exact same way, there isn’t much left that can cause the issue.

Was the lift switch cable coming from the headlight assembly connected to the board when you plugged in the yellows?

Yes. The switch was connected to the boards. I also unplugged it yesterday per your suggestion and there was no change in the condition.

EDIT: I disconnected both the kill switch connector (small white connector with two wires going to the top board) and the power button switch connector (small red connector with two wires going to the bottom board). Same issue. The EUC turns on immediately when connecting the yellow connectors. And of course, the light doesn’t turn on when pushing the physical power button. But the light can be turned on via the light button in the app.

It just seems like the wheel is always on. When I unplug the yellow connectors, the EUC tries to turn on again but then dies after it clears out the capacitors. This type of behavior normally happens when one unplugs the yellow connectors and then pushes and holds the physical power switch to clear out the capacitors manually before attempting to service/work on the EUC.

Edited by EUC_user

7 hours ago, Tasku said:

What about the motor test where you need to level the wheel? You said you did it too? Does the sensor data check out? After that test you should get the wheel to balance.

The diagnose menu in the app?

I went into that menu while on the kickstand and with the EUC on its side. The test always passes without an issue.

Mysterious case you have for sure. Here is few of my theories again that I can think of. Sadly I do not have the diagrams nor V11 to help you.

1.) I was thinking of the version of board and software next. What was the previous version of software/hardware and what is the current software/hardware?

Fix: Could you try to re-obtain the new software upgrade, this time store it to different storage? Mayhaps the upgrade file was corrupted on usb stick or on hard drive?

Fix2: Try reverting to older version.

2.) I was having another theory of overcurrent.

What would cause it, well I do not know. The previously mentioned switches is what I would check. Measurements would help. Someone with diagram could point out more measurements that could help out if this is the case.

Fix: Measure voltages from board input/output, your dealer could help you with this.

This wheel was on the ship that arrived a little after Christmas. It is not from the fire boat.

Either way, it is getting shipped back to the dealer.

This always-on state is quite concerning. And the only thing I did was follow what was mentioned on this forum about hard resetting the EUC since I was unable to connect to the app via Bluetooth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EUC_user said:

it is getting shipped back to the dealer.

That is a good scenario for you. Unplug and ship it back to experts. These things can happen with electronic devices. After all the genie wants out of the bottle and any crack it can find it will take to get out. :roflmao: I think you did more than most would in anycase. Would be fun to know what was the part causing the fault, so post it here if they let you know? Thanks for sharing!

If the fault is not obvious the fault finding process of a "possessed" electronic device can become quite the hassle.

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The problem was that one of the battery packs thought it was still in charge mode even with the charger unplugged.

This is why the wheel wouldn’t balance and there would be arching when plugging in the yellow connectors on the board. This is also why the wheel wouldn’t turn off when using the button within the app.

The three chimes sounds when holding the power button down was the “please don’t move” sound as heard in the app.

The wheel has been working for about 2 weeks now though I now have a bent rim, a trolley handle that won’t stay locked in the open/up position, and a kickstand that still won’t sit in the gap in the rear rubber mud guard.

• Like 2