Wheels engineered with redundancy

Rich Sam

Wouldn't it be cool if wheel companies made redundant wheel controllers with watchdog circuitry that could detect a failing controller and automagically switch on the fly to the secondary controller?

Same with battery circuit, wouldn't it be cool to have a super cap that could be emergency reserve if power drops, super cap could provide enough juice to gracefully stop.

That would be cool!

Wheel motor and tires SOL.  but hey I wonder how many cutouts we could avoid.

I was thinking about this we could have two controllers running in parallel  or maybe even three. AI could measure accuracy of the primary controller based off democratic checks off the other boards.  In the event that the primary board is giving bogus numbers a new primary board can be promoted and the wheel could throw and error code return to home.

Probably people would just say let the "reserve" be active at all times so they have more battery and not just a "pointless" reserve they can't always use.

Second controller is cool but wouldn't really help in 99% of cutouts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ádám Szitás said:

Probably people would just say let the "reserve" be active at all times so they have more battery and not just a "pointless" reserve they can't always use.

Second controller is cool but wouldn't really help in 99% of cutouts.

Is that because the primary cause is mostly power demand to keep up isn't there?

• Like 1

Hmmm perhaps a bank of super capacitors that charge up when riding, and when immense spike for demand hits they can fire and provide backup.  Slowing charging backup for the next time they are needed.

5 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

Hmmm perhaps a bank of super capacitors that charge up when riding, and when immense spike for demand hits they can fire and provide backup.  Slowing charging backup for the next time they are needed.

Unfortunately power is the main limiting factor with EUCs. Hence the Sherman mania.

It comes down to a price:weight:power ratio. More power means more price and weight. And eventually it becomes to heavy or to costly to be practical to bring to market. We need a breakthrough in battery technology, either making them lighter or cheaper. 

Im sure we will see bigger wheels than the Sherman, but that means more expensive, and there will be an upper limit to the industries price/weight limits.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Unfortunately power is the main limiting factor with EUCs. Hence the Sherman mania.

It comes down to a price:weight:power ratio. More power means more price and weight. And eventually it becomes to heavy or to costly to be practical to bring to market. We need a breakthrough in battery technology, either making them lighter or cheaper. 

Im sure we will see bigger wheels than the Sherman, but that means more expensive, and there will be an upper limit to the industries price/weight limits.

yeah I just read that super caps are heavy per kw compared to lithium-ion cells.  Would not be very practical in an EUC :D

38 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Yup, the limiting factor is the batteries. We are already riding 80lb+ wheels that I cant hardly pick up. Adding extra redundancy means I either gotta lose some range or gain some weight. Then theres also the costs involved. FOr now, I think the euc market has reached a plateu and we wont be seeing any remarkable gains until battery tech changes. As soon as a lighter more efficient battery becomes affordably available, we will then see DRASTIC changes to the euc. Of course, price is king and who knows if theyll ever add safety as a REAL factor, or if theyll just take advantage of new battery tech, to increase all the other specs. If liability was a thing for these euc companies, we'd definitely be seeing something better built.

9 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

How about two springloaded rods with miniature wheels that are held retracted electronically. If the wheel cuts out they extend.

Haha sounds crazy I know. Just brainstorming.

sounds medievil. You been watching some old movies aincha?:popcorn:

I think the real development long term will be in terms of new battery technologies, there is lots of research and development going on there lots of exciting things like more safety, higher capacity, much faster charging and so on, those things will be game changers when they are mature enough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

sounds medievil. You been watching some old movies aincha?:popcorn:

Actually yes. Motorworld with Jeremy Clarkson. Some swiss made odd looking motorcycle with a shell around it from the 90s had wheels that extend when you come to a stop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Actually yes. Motorworld with Jeremy Clarkson. Some swiss made odd looking motorcycle with a shell around it from the 90s had wheels that extend when you come to a stop.

The Peraves EcoMobile, or MonoTracer (the updated version). They even made a fully electric version, the E-Tracer, but they have have stopped production. That EcoMobile was super aerodynamic, it could do like 280km/h with an old 90hp BMW motorcycle engine.

14 hours ago, alcatraz said:

How about two springloaded rods with miniature wheels that are held retracted electronically. If the wheel cuts out they extend.

Haha sounds crazy I know. Just brainstorming.

I'm thinking we could just ride around like this!:whistling:

u-http-akns-images-eonline-com-eol-image

• Like 1