Today was my first day on an EUC

Patrick Corbett

Today was really fun, if I thought I’d learn this in a week than I wouldn’t have spent $899 on one, I expect to have some growing pains and learning curve since I’ve never rode one, and I look at the process as being just as fun, that being said I feel like I’m too afraid of damaging the wheel itself, since I’m struggling with standing on it and balancing (while holding on to the fence) I find that I could have tried to balance off of the wall and pushed myself today but I kept being afraid of damaging the wheel, I think it’s because I just got it, and I saved up for it and the last thing I wanna do is damage it the FIRST week, so is it okay if the thing falls over while I learn to balance or should I get the balance down first? Are these things equipped to keep falling over on pavement? Stupid question? Maybe it is and the funny thing is I’m more worried about the condition of the wheel than the first fall I’ll take. Any thoughts? Maybe get the balance down first I just don’t wanna KEEP dropping it as I learn I feel like that would not be good for the wear and tear. Thank you guys not sure if anybody can relate to the paranoia of not wanting to damage something I mean this thing is as important as a new cat would be to somebody else lol.

• Like 2

Wrap it in cardboard, or a yoga mat or that baby bumper stuff—anything really... and forget about it! These things are surprisingly durable, much more so than you’d expect. Or go all out and get a bodyguard from roll.nz (the route I went and I am very pleased with how well it’s protected my wheel).

Important note: I’m in the “abandon the wheel, save yourself” camp so I was/am pretty hard on my toy. It’s been flawless.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

Pad yourself up too. The essentials are knee pads, wrist guards and helmet. While learning, wear something to protect your ankles a bit, as those pedals bite hard when the wheel falls. 

Oh, and hydrate :)

get a cover for it, ride naked, knock the new off it with some nice dents.... or just pick two, youll enjoy it more. Im the same way with a new wheel, scared to hurt it. Then the inevitable happens and all balance is restored.

• Like 2

Love it! Just wanted to make sure. Update: a lot less wall-time for my day 2 today, I’m mounting a lot easier and the “Half Moon” exercise is getting me comfortable with balance. I’ll probably try it with the motor tomorrow, today was about the balance and mounting to feel a little natural, I’m pumped today I definitely noticed some more small progress and it’s addicting, in a good way I don’t even know how to stand on it for too long yet but I had so much fun just simply practicing it this morning after my overnight shift, imagine how much fun it’ll be when I am more pro. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Corbett said:

Got up to 20 seconds of glide today #progress 🔥💪💪💪 this is only my 3rd day feels good 

That means you should just go faster:efefe00999:

There is zero reason why you should be able to go for 20 seconds but not longer. If you can balance on the wheel while you ride it, you can balance on the wheel while you ride it. It doesn't get less stable with time.

You're simply too slow, and riding slower is harder. So speed up and enjoy the success. Do a nice dynamic start, keep the speed, and if you feel wobbly while riding, speed up instead of slow down. Later, you can see how slow you can get before it gets too wobbly, but just start with higher speeds than you did till now.

Speed stabilizes you and is your friend.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

I started learning in December with a refurbished Ninebot One E+ as my learning wheel. I had a helmet and wrist guards, but one thing I wish I got early on was shin guards. Had one accident after one long day of practicing where I wasn’t paying attention and the wheel spun and the pedal got me good. I haven’t had an accident since, but I feel much better knowing I have my shins covered.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 8:58 PM, Tawpie said:

Important note: I’m in the “abandon the wheel, save yourself” camp so I was/am pretty hard on my toy. It’s been flawless.

Love this... I did this too... the wheel can get scratched all it needs to, my legs/foot/etc are more important and way more expensive to fix.

• Like 1