Inmotion changes from LG to Samsung 50G cells for V11 production, citing lack of supply

RagingGrandpa

I suppose the news from December is more noteworthy now, in lieu of the many recent issues with LG M50T packs...

On 12/8/2020 at 12:36 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Here's a brand new EcoDrift article detailing the latest batch improvements. Lots of pictures.

It's quite a few details:

• valve caps
  • motor and bearing changes
  • new cells: Samsung 50G
  • some subtle board improvements that I wish I could interpret what they mean

Inmotion V11. Изменения в декабрьской партии

Inmotion V11. Changes in the December batch (Bing Translator)

On 12/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

Well, yes, if I had to choose between M50 vs 50G, I'd choose 50G because of its faster discharge capability...
especially in small p-ness packs like the 4P V11's and MSuper's...

But bear in mind other components in V11 will limit the current to a little below 10A/cell, so you can't actually create a sustained 15A discharge in these EUC's.

The difference in stored energy is less than 1%.

It means, we expect no perceptable difference in performance between V11 with LG vs Samsung.

Samsung%20INR21700-50G%205000mAh%20(Gree

LG%2021700%20M50T%205000mAh%20(Gray)-Tem

Edited by RagingGrandpa
Responses from InmotionGlobal
  • Like 2

I think this happened back at batch 3b maybe. So it would be around October. There was no real reason given, but IM had huge problem with cell supply so I believe they bit the bullet to ramp up production output. If you look at official post from IM I think it was in there at some point, only by a line. 

That EcoDrift article is over a month old, and the rumor at the time was simply that it was due to shortages of the M50T. (Temporary swaps due to component shortages are fairly common.) Do we have any actual evidence/confirmation that InMotion is permanently switching to the 50G/planning to stick with them even after the shortage? Otherwise that's an extremely misleading/downright false title.

Further corroborating the component shortage theory, several of the latest-updated Begode pages (from memory, at least the EX.N & T3) now list *both* the M50T and 50G simultaneously--as if manufacturers are treating them as equivalent substitutes depending on availability at time of manufacture.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

@Inmotion Global - will there be any more V11 production with LG M50T?

IM are not here as much as I had hoped. They have a difficult time reaching the site. So they have focused much more on telegram channel instead. I am not sure what they are doing but they have been very busy lately and long between answers from their staff on telegram.

They are working on V11 still from what my impression is from the very few replies I gotten the past few weeks. But there is also the upcoming V12. Details about this is very limited. But I can see they announce this once we are passed Chinese New Year (12th February followed by spring festival, totally lasting 16 days).

• Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Inmotion changes from LG to Samsung 50G cells for V11 production, citing lack of supply
  • 9 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 4:37 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

We like the Samsung cells! Please keep them ;)

Hi @RagingGrandpa It seems like V11 has two battery options according to EUC comparison table: LG M50T and Samsung 50G. Why should I look for a model which has Samsung cells and not LG cells? Why are Samsung cells better than LG cells?

The two cells are fairly similar but the LG ones was slightly cheaper at launch of V11 these days I don't know as supply and demand shift things about constantly. 

I recall also that the LG cells could handle more charge cycles but it didn't have as high peak performance yet only marginally. 

In general the LG and Samsung cells are fairly equal in most aspects. 

I am sorry if I got details wrong but it is like 10+months ago this was discussed on telegram with Liam whom isn't with Inmotion anymore. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wolverine said:

LG M50T and Samsung 50G.
Why should I look for a model which has Samsung cells and not LG cells?
Why are Samsung cells better than LG cells?

50G's continuous current rating is higher.
And M50T has a poor record for EUC use.

But sorry, you cannot know if a V11 has one cell or the other, without opening and damaging the inner plastic case of the pack :(

Monokoleso-Inmotion-V11-izmeneniya-dekabr-2020-30.jpg?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=nui

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sevity said:

they would be switching back to [LG M50T] instead of the samsung cells?

We won't know until it happens.

I think it's more likely they'll choose a newer cell model than M50T. I think China-factory production of M50T is changing to the new M50LT spec... hard to be sure of anything without local confirmation though.