My Ninebot One C died

divengoal

This is so sad :( my Ninebot one C died.  A bit of history.  I bought the unit from a person in our local ebay-like online store (olx).  I knew that it does not have any warranty so I checked it thoroughly.  It was brand new with all the plastic seals -- in short an authentic brand new Ninebot once C.  I tested it for any defects as we have agreed.  Rode it for 30 minutes and was very very impressed coming from a generic 14-inch-unicycle-user.  Checked everything -- BT connection, the tire, the lights, the knock codes -- worked as expected.  That was Nov 30.  Dec 12 came and my son and I have just finished our ~10 km ride, parked it, and after about 30 minutes, my son tried powering it on but it didn't. *heart beats*

I noticed it's very hard to "roll" the unit considering that it does not have any power.  When I'm trying to plug it in the charger, the connector sparks.   I also tried opening the right hand side battery a re-sit the cables but it didn't help.  Am I correct to assume that the motherboard is dead?  What else can I do?  Right now I'm reading articles in this forum and I think this is not a BMS-cut-off issue OR do you think it otherwise?  I can't see anything burt on the motherboard.

7 hours ago, divengoal said:

This is so sad :( my Ninebot one C died.  A bit of history.  I bought the unit from a person in our local ebay-like online store (olx).  I knew that it does not have any warranty so I checked it thoroughly.  It was brand new with all the plastic seals -- in short an authentic brand new Ninebot once C.  I tested it for any defects as we have agreed.  Rode it for 30 minutes and was very very impressed coming from a generic 14-inch-unicycle-user.  Checked everything -- BT connection, the tire, the lights, the knock codes -- worked as expected.  That was Nov 30.  Dec 12 came and my son and I have just finished our ~10 km ride, parked it, and after about 30 minutes, my son tried powering it on but it didn't. *heart beats*

I noticed it's very hard to "roll" the unit considering that it does not have any power.  When I'm trying to plug it in the charger, the connector sparks.   I also tried opening the right hand side battery a re-sit the cables but it didn't help.  Am I correct to assume that the motherboard is dead?  What else can I do?  Right now I'm reading articles in this forum and I think this is not a BMS-cut-off issue OR do you think it otherwise?  I can't see anything burt on the motherboard.

Typical reason why the motor is hard to turn even without power seems to be a short circuit between the motor phases (usually blown mosfets in the half-bridges driving the motor), so the motor is kind of braking all the time. Could be something else too, I don't think charge-connector sparking is an usual symptom with burnt mosfets.

Edit: in case the above didn't make any sense: likely there are broken components in the mainboard. 

19 hours ago, SlowMo said:

You can try to claim for warranty if you have the warranty card. Check out this similar thread.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1644-ninebot-c-died/

Oh, nice. thanks! Not sure why I did not see this before. *feeling hopeful*

12 hours ago, esaj said:

Typical reason why the motor is hard to turn even without power seems to be a short circuit between the motor phases (usually blown mosfets in the half-bridges driving the motor), so the motor is kind of braking all the time. Could be something else too, I don't think charge-connector sparking is an usual symptom with burnt mosfets.

Edit: in case the above didn't make any sense: likely there are broken components in the mainboard. 

Hmm, this actually makes sense.  I have another defective generic unicycle with the same symptoms, maybe I could repair it while waiting for Ninebot's response on the warranty card.  I'll update this thread on either progress.

Thank you so much both of you for your reply! *beaming with hope*

18 hours ago, playdad said:

Wow, this really sucks. I am so sorry to hear you had to go through this. It's barely used!

Yeah.  That's why I feel so devastated.  The first generic unicycle I had live for more than 2 months and was very thankful for it.  It took a lot of beating, and when it died I immediately accepted it.  But an expensive Ninebot?  Jeez.  I might have bought another one if it's already a year or so.  But two weeks?  Sucks a lot.

Update: a representative from Ninebot contacted me after sending them an email.  I think my company email address helped in getting a faster response or maybe because of the Skype link in my signature *hmm.  They used Skype and after a couple of message exchanges (serial number and stuff) I was told that he will be talking with their Engineers.  Hope for the best!  Hoping I'll get a reply tomorrow or next week if they're not working on weekends.  *deep breath. :)

On 12/18/2015 at 2:36 PM, divengoal said:

Update: a representative from Ninebot contacted me after sending them an email.  I think my company email address helped in getting a faster response or maybe because of the Skype link in my signature *hmm.  They used Skype and after a couple of message exchanges (serial number and stuff) I was told that he will be talking with their Engineers.  Hope for the best!  Hoping I'll get a reply tomorrow or next week if they're not working on weekends.  *deep breath. :)

Which firmware version was your Ninebot One at when it died?

Update: A sad one :(

The ninebot representative told me that they cannot replace the board since it was bought by an individual and later exported to another country where it is not suppose to be in.  I hope it has nothing to do with the conflict in South China Sea (just kidding).  So I'm back with contacting the dealer.   Wish me luck!  Merry Christmas!

• 1 month later...

Update: I received the replacement control board yesterday, got the password to unlock it and it is now up and running.

I agreed to pay the discounted price plus delivery of the board because they (dealer) won't process my request anymore.  Ninebot no longer honors the warranty (sold outside China).  Well, finger pointing is not really my forte so... Anyhow, it's history, just glad to ride on it again after more than 2 months of downtime.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, divengoal said:

Yay! And I thought Ninebot has a very good build quality.

The thing is Ninebot sells like hotcakes and the repair ratio is like 10/1000 units. Other brands don't sell that many. A lot of people have good working copies and a few unfortunate ones get the defective units. Ninebot honors the warranty and send replacement parts after some time (needs a lot of patience). Would I buy another Ninebot? I surely would (maybe the new Ninebot A1). :)

On 3/7/2016 at 0:35 AM, SlowMo said:

repair ratio is like 10/1000 units. Other brands don't sell that many.

hmm, so I was just among the unlucky 10.  Now you made me think of reconsidering another Ninebot.  Planning to buy another one.

16 minutes ago, divengoal said:

hmm, so I was just among the unlucky 10.  Now you made me think of reconsidering another Ninebot.  Planning to buy another one.

Yes, the 14" looks like a very good unit and the 16" are now much cheaper.

Archived