S-18 threw me off? And other questions from a new rider

Rene

Hi, i'n new to the whole EUC and bought a Kingsong S-18, i find it an awesome machine and learning fairly quick how to ride. 

However,  last week while practicing accelerating and stopping, the S-18 decided to "Throw-me-off" forward like a bucking horse, except from some sore ribs and tarmac-rash and dented ego i'm good. that reminds me to also ALWAYS wear my knee and elbow pads. (at the time is was only wearing chest/spine protective top and full face Helmet.

Question? why does this happen (warp-speed fast)? batt life was 30%-ish 

also, i experience a lot of wobble even when following guidance from you forum users.

Lastly i changed the damper for a Rockshox Monarch RC3 which has improved performance immensely. 

very interested in tips and tricks on EUC's as im looking to become a super cool old fool on my KS-S18.:ph34r:

• Like 2

• meepmeepmayer changed the title to S-18 threw me off? And other questions from a new rider
52 minutes ago, Rene said:

However,  last week while practicing accelerating and stopping, the S-18 decided to "Throw-me-off" forward like a bucking horse, except from some sore ribs and tarmac-rash and dented ego i'm good. that reminds me to also ALWAYS wear my knee and elbow pads. (at the time is was only wearing chest/spine protective top and full face Helmet.

Question? why does this happen (warp-speed fast)? batt life was 30%-ish 

This happened while accelerating?

Depending on the acceleration (burden - motor current) you reached at which speed - but sounds just like a normal overlean: 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/

At ~30% battery charge voltage should be about (4.2V-3.15V)*.3+3.15V~3.5V. So the torque over speed limit is at just 3.5/4.2~80% compared to full batteries.

Different burden induced effects could (maybe?) reduce this limit even more?!

Some overheat condition should have lead to continous beeping before shuting off, afaik.

I assume your S18 shows no signs of mafunction after this incident? 

52 minutes ago, Rene said:

very interested in tips and tricks on EUC's as im looking to become a super cool old fool on my KS-S18.:ph34r:

Never burden your S18 with high speeds and high accelerations/inclines/whatever burden at the same time!

If one wants higher limits one needs a wheel with more battery cells in parallel (and higher voltages)

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hi, and what a great first wheel!

I put your post in its own topic. The S18 suspension technical overhaul topic wasn't really the right place. Hope you don't mind:) This way you should get more visibility and answers.

thank you, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

This happened while accelerating?

Depending on the acceleration (burden - motor current) you reached at which speed - but sounds just like a normal overlean: 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/

At ~30% battery charge voltage should be about (4.2V-3.15V)*.3+3.15V~3.5V. So the torque over speed limit is at just 3.5/4.2~80% compared to full batteries.

Different burden induced effects could (maybe?) reduce this limit even more?!

Some overheat condition should have lead to continous beeping before shuting off, afaik.

I assume your S18 shows no signs of mafunction after this incident? 

Never burden your S18 with high speeds and high accelerations/inclines/whatever burden at the same time!

If one wants higher limits one needs a wheel with more battery cells in parallel (and higher voltages)

PS: Welcome to the forum!

no signs of malfunction no, i assume from your reply that the S-18 does not well in multi tasking? or does this go for all EUC's? 

the beeping is not very loud and when riding head-on in wind even more difficult to hear, i tend to get alerted by the beep the moment my paddles tilt backwards.

as for speed cravings, i am looking at the RION RE90 for that, the EUC i tend to use for off-roading and skate parks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rene said:

no signs of malfunction no, i assume from your reply that the S-18 does not well in multi tasking? or does this go for all EUC's? 

This goes for all EUCs - just the more potent the wheel the more it'll take before it throws one off.

2 hours ago, Rene said:

the beeping is not very loud and when riding head-on in wind even more difficult to hear, i tend to get alerted by the beep the moment my paddles tilt backwards.

One can overlean wheels before they tilt back ;( (as shown in the first example i linked above...)

KS have an internal value reported by the firmware showing the still available safety margin before overlean - EUC World for example can give alarms based on this value. But never underestimate delays in the communication chain! Wheel -> phone -> speaker -> ear -> brain -> feet -> wheel

5 hours ago, Rene said:

also, i experience a lot of wobble even when following guidance from you forum users.

Other have addressed your other questions.  Wobble is a weird one because there are sometimes reasons for it like a misaligned or defective tire... but sometimes its just the rider, like it is with me.  On my Nikola, I used to get wobbles at 18mph 100% of the time.  Then as I rode more, got more comfortable on the wheel, and built more muscles, the speed at which I started to wobble increased.  Then, as I started getting tired at the end of my ride, the wobbles would return at lower speeds.  It was all me and my physical fitness (or lack thereof).

Since you're a new rider, I suspect it's just lack of experience.  But the S-18, especially ones from the first batch, have been known to have physical issues like misaligned axles and stuff.  You might want to look into threads on here about both possibilities, plenty of discussion has been had on both.

• Like 1

Rather than multi-tasking, think of it as a budget for paying rent. The analogy works pretty well but isn't exact :efee78d764:.

• More income streams (third/fourth job = third and fourth parallel battery pack) increase the available money.
  • Lower charge level = you've spent some so there's less money for the landlord.
  • Your rent is mostly determined by location and the number of bedrooms
    • Your speed is where you live; rent for a flat outside of Eastbourne is walking pace, one in central London is 40 mph.
    • Your acceleration (including that required to keep you upright) is the number of bedrooms in your flat, but you must have a bedroom for each person present in the flat… guests come and go at the drop of a hat.
  • Your motor is your landlord and he's a gangster with zero grace period for those that can't pay.
  • Rent is computed and due every microsecond or so.

If you don't have every last penny when rent comes due, you're immediately shown the street.

Edited by Tawpie
wordsmith

2 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Other have addressed your other questions.  Wobble is a weird one because there are sometimes reasons for it like a misaligned or defective tire... but sometimes its just the rider, like it is with me.  On my Nikola, I used to get wobbles at 18mph 100% of the time.  Then as I rode more, got more comfortable on the wheel, and built more muscles, the speed at which I started to wobble increased.  Then, as I started getting tired at the end of my ride, the wobbles would return at lower speeds.  It was all me and my physical fitness (or lack thereof).

Since you're a new rider, I suspect it's just lack of experience.  But the S-18, especially ones from the first batch, have been known to have physical issues like misaligned axles and stuff.  You might want to look into threads on here about both possibilities, plenty of discussion has been had on both.

i feel that i am quite relaxed on the wheel, today i changed my stance slightly and Voila! less wobble and more stable ride. the change of stance  made my carving more enjoyable.  thanks for all the guidance, super appreciated.