My two cents on riding a new V8F from a new older rider?

Rodo

I got my first ever EUC (Inmotion V8F) last week and on the weekend I went to an empty parking lot to try it. The first thing I did was to limit the max speed to 10 miles/hours (mi/hr) in the app. The inmotion app wanted permission for everything ... I said no to all of them but it wouldn't connect if it didn't have location permission so I had to enable that. For protection I was using just wrist pads. Helmet, knee and elbow pad will arrive this week.

The first day... the manual for the V8F says this to start:

"Gradually begin to slowly slide forward by single-foot support, until the unicycle can keep sliding for a long time when one foot steps on the pedal. After keeping the center of gravity balanced when sliding with one-foot, you can step both feet on the pedals. Relax lower legs on both sides to ensure the balanced driving"

After trying this for an hour and getting nowhere I decided to try to get on it instead. BTW by this time the inside of my dominant leg was beginning to bother me from rubbing the pad of the EUC. After another 30 minutes I managed to start getting on it (both feet) for a full 5 to 10 seconds (secs) ... LOL. The single time that I went for 20 secs I noticed that the 10 mi/hr limit I set earlier was much too fast for my comfort so I lowered it to 5 mi/hr. After about two hours total I was too tired so I went home. BTW I didn't fell on the pavement at all but I most certainly fell off of the EUC several times ...about 4 or 5 of them the EUC span out and scratch the pedals ... the body has a cover so no damage there.

The second day ... I was surprised how sore I was. Like I was working out but I didn't think I did. Fifty years of age has its toll ... LOL. So ... back to the same parking lot and I started again ... with a sore dominant leg the first try felt like I was starting over but quickly I felt I made progress. In about 30 mins I was able to start riding for a minute or two without losing balance and getting off of the EUC. By now I would hear the speed warning pretty often but didn't feel any tilt back. I guess I was still too wobbly ...LOL.  After about an hour I was able to go on without falling off of the EUC anymore. That's when I started to feel the tilt back. I stopped after about two hours because I was too tired. I figure better stop while I'm confident and happy that I'm making progress. I'll resume next weekend...need to heal and rest. I’ll start with the same speed limit of 5 mi/hr but I’ll increase it gradually …. This is Fun!!!.

• Like 2

Glad you enjoy it! One more future addict;)

The speed limit may be counterproductive. Speed stabilizes you, 5mph less so. It's easier to learn to ride moderately fast first, so don't be afraid of 10-15mph. Just ride as fast as you're comfortable with, no artificial limit needed.

On 12/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Glad you enjoy it! One more future addict;)

The speed limit may be counterproductive. Speed stabilizes you, 5mph less so. It's easier to learn to ride moderately fast first, so don't be afraid of 10-15mph. Just ride as fast as you're comfortable with, no artificial limit needed.

Yeah I'm a chicken :lol: (5 mi/hr).  I should get faster soon though. But I also seem to go left without much effort. Making a right is ... difficult. I think I'm putting more weight on the left leg (this is the dominant leg). I had to really concentrate to turn right. The weekend is almost here ... let the fun start :).

On 12/10/2020 at 1:05 PM, Rodo said:

But I also seem to go left without much effort. Making a right is ... difficult.

Same here too. But when I was learning, going right was easier. Things will even out with more practice. It won't take long.

Glad to enjoy it. My tip : don't work too hard, you must sleep on it.

Brain works during the night, he must rust for getting those new skills. 

Entertainment tired'll not increase your skill, and increase the risk of hurting / falls.

Good job ! I took 3 weeks for ridings, my girl 1 month & half, some like you got after 4 days riding.

• Like 1

To all of the, I don't like turning right or left people. I was the same way. Learning to carve fixes that. 

2 hours ago, MrP-MrF said:

My tip : don't work too hard, you must sleep on it.

Absolutely!!  I learned more in my sleep. ........... .. and when I fell off, the floor in my bedroom was softer. :thumbup:

• Like 1

My 30 year old son got on the Mten3 and rode down the pot holed driveway, on to the street and down the road. So I was thinking he would have a little more trouble with the S-18. Nope...

I am 68 not bragging just the facts. It took me probably 6 hours of trying not to fall off before I was safe enough to start feeling comfortable. I spent at least 5 hours on the grass which isn’t a manicured lawn by any means. Crashing on the grass saved my wheel but because I didn’t get much over 5-6 miles an hour it took much longer. I wish I had the advice that meepmeepmayer gave you early on. Speed is your friend. Once I got on the street I was amazed at the control I had with more speed. The back yard on the other hand helped me with trail riding which is much slower but with quicker reactions. 

• Like 1