V8F biggest possible tire without heavy modifications

SamSuffit

Hi all,

For the V8F the current tire is 2.125". The pedal have been slightly raised to accommodate the new tire (a bit bigger than for the V8)

However, I was wondering:

• is it possible to fit in a bigger tire? a 2.3 or even 2.5 tire?
  • What is the maximum possible without modification, and the maximum possible with light modification?

I'm researching on the forum for the same question ( concerning off-road for me )

This one looks great ! 2.5 ...

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32813716312.html

or this one.. it could be great !! But I don't know if a 3.0 could take place

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/19247-the-knobbiest-knobby-16-inch/

• 2 years later...

There's a thread in this forum of a V8 tire mod. I think it was a shell mod (grind, raise, seal) to fit a CST C1488 16x2.5in tire. This tire is a thinner tire so the external dimensions are smaller than average 2.5in tires. It thus becomes easier to fit. 

I suggest to get a different wheel like a Tesla or MCM5, those can take a 2.5in tire without mod. Or get a 16X/V12 and enjoy a 3in without modding.

• Upvote 1

The rim determines the final dimensions of the tire, not the tire alone. A different motor thus produces a different tire size. 

Just thought I'd mention this before you compare results between similar wheels.

I'm not sure the V8Fis the same shell as the V8.

22 hours ago, Fulvio6 said:

can i put a 2.5 tire without any modification? 

No. The diameter of the V8 wheel well is too tight for 2.5” tires, since they are taller. I’m the one who made the 2.5” mod on a V8 that @alcatraz mentioned above. I made a thread about the mod:

• Thanks 1

The V8F has a few mm wider shell than the V8. It doesn't take a 2.5" tire without mods for sure, probably not even 2.3". However, I didn't have to cut off parts of the shell to get a 2.5" on the V8F, I "just" grinded off some material and placed it higher on the hangers (about as shown in the above linked mod). Still not the simplest of all mods, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 10:30 PM, Mono said:

The V8F has a few mm wider shell than the V8. It doesn't take a 2.5" tire without mods for sure, probably not even 2.3". However, I didn't have to cut off parts of the shell to get a 2.5" on the V8F, I "just" grinded off some material and placed it higher on the hangers (about as shown in the above linked mod). Still not the simplest of all mods, IMHO.

More specifically, the inside of the V8F shell is 2x7mm longer than the one of the V8 but not wider. The shell seems to be otherwise the same size, just the front and back bumpers have less material behind. EDIT: the shell is also mounted about 8mm higher on the motor, hence more top space for the tire too.

Edited by Mono
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's another confusing thing. Tires with the same stamped dimension vary by a lot if you actually measure it.

So one guy can fit a 2.5in and the other guy can't even fit a 2.125in, on the same model wheel.

Try the 2.125in version of a certain tire before investing in the work and time. This helps to avoid surprises.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Here's another confusing thing. Tires with the same stamped dimension vary by a lot if you actually measure it.

So one guy can fit a 2.5in and the other guy can't even fit a 2.125in, on the same model wheel.

It's true that tire widths vary quite a bit, but there is no way that a 2.5" tire is narrower than a 2.125" tire.

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Tires with the same stamped dimension vary by a lot if you actually measure it.

Absolutely. That’s why I chose the 1488 for the V8 2.5” mod, since it measured under 2.4”.