V5F won't charge past 60%, says "Please repair" every 10 seconds

brosefzai

I bought my V5F secondhand, it was a couple months old, only had about 250 miles on it when I got it. It was fine when I bought it, zoomed around with it everywhere. Made shopping a lot easier actually.

Then one day, I think it was raining lightly but nothing serious, I took it for a spin. I don't know if it was the light rain, if I had gone through a puddle, or if I had a stumble.

But now, whenever I plug it in to charge, it won't charge past 60%.

UPDATE: I tried to drain the battery (for some reason), so I got it down until it was dead, then plugged it back in to try and fully charge it from zero. Now it won't charge past 40%.

I live in the UK and we don't have an InMotion shop. I'm not too confident with electronics in case I'll mess it up, so I really don't want to open it up myself (unless I really have to).
Does anyone have a solution? Any ideas?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brosefzai said:

I bought my V5F secondhand, it was a couple months old, only had about 250 miles on it when I got it. It was fine when I bought it, zoomed around with it everywhere. Made shopping a lot easier actually.

Then one day, I think it was raining lightly but nothing serious, I took it for a spin. I don't know if it was the light rain, if I had gone through a puddle, or if I had a stumble.

But now, whenever I plug it in to charge, it won't charge past 60%.

UPDATE: I tried to drain the battery (for some reason), so I got it down until it was dead, then plugged it back in to try and fully charge it from zero. Now it won't charge past 40%.

I live in the UK and we don't have an InMotion shop. I'm not too confident with electronics in case I'll mess it up, so I really don't want to open it up myself (unless I really have to).
Does anyone have a solution? Any ideas?

You could get in touch with speedyfeet and ask him or you said the wheel is only a couple of months old,, has it still got warranty? Ask the person you bought it from

32 minutes ago, null said:

Sounds like the battery being faulty, which sadly is dangerous. You’ll probably have to replace it.

Thanks, but 60% (or 40%) are both two pretty clean, round figures; not arbitrary. It charges up until it hits that number.
I feel like it sounds like something motherboard-y..? Someone on reddit mentioned a capacitor

37 minutes ago, brosefzai said:

Thanks, but 60% (or 40%) are both two pretty clean, round figures; not arbitrary. It charges up until it hits that number.
I feel like it sounds like something motherboard-y..? Someone on reddit mentioned a capacitor

You should check the charger first, if it can provide full voltage (84V)

17 minutes ago, Chriull said:

You should check the charger first, if it can provide full voltage (84V)

I have tried two chargers now... same result.

Also, wouldn't that affect the rate at which a wheel charges, rather than the top-most amount at which it can charge a wheel?

I should correct my earlier statement. The person on reddit didn't mention a capacitor, they said something about a CAN bus thing, something to do with DC-DC converter. They changed the motherboard for their wheel. As I am based in the UK, I'm sure we have AC here...(?)

47 minutes ago, brosefzai said:

have tried two chargers now... same result.

Then the batteries are bad. At least for a Kingsong or Gotway wheel one could conclude this.

But if inmotion uses some smart bms with bus communication to the motherboard it could theoreticly be different...

Highest chance imho should still be dead cells.

Which are dangerous to use and charge!

• Like 1