Inmotion v11 alternative tires

GoGeorgeGo

Hey guys! We know doing a tire change on the V11 can be a challenge, but i know many people have tire preferences that differ from the stock option.  

Has anyone tried putting different tires on the v11? I am interested in finding a knobby tire that fits for when my stock wheel wears out (or if i am forced to fix a tube) .  Most of my riding is offroad so even if it slightly reduces street performance that is not a huge issue for me (i wouldn't get the v11 for high speed street riding)

So if you have any suggestions on tires to look at for rocky offroad situations, or even if you installed a racing slick! Share your experience here!!

25 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I think that interview is an old one, from long before the V11 was available.

The CST C-186 2.75-14 and IRC TIRE SN-26 80/90-14 both fit without mods on the V11. The Shinko SR-244 does not, no matter how much you slice the sides of the knobs or lift the V11 shell. The carcass is simply too wide and tall.

Great info thanks! The CST looks perfect for what i ride.  Ill be purchasing one to test out when the inevitable happens and i need to open it up some day

Sure! Worth mentioning though, that since the outer diameter of the C-186 is larger than the original tire, accelerating and braking will require slightly more effort on your part. Not a huge deal I think, but worth knowing beforehand.

As is the warning about the turning behavior of all knobby tires. The EUC must be tilted much more when turning than with the original tire. It will be annoying at first, but you should learn the new technique soon enough.

Edited by mrelwood

• 6 months later...

MRELWOOD, have you tried the Shinko SR241 ? I know the SR244 does not fit (it was my preferred shape) but perhaps the SR241 does it. It is also a dual sport 2.75-14 tire and quite similar to the Kenda 262 but I like it better since this tire is not as flat as the Kenda. I prefer to keep a well rounded profile of the tire for short turns. If the Shinko SR241 fits without mods, it would be great.

19 hours ago, GPSchile said:

MRELWOOD, have you tried the Shinko SR241 ?

I haven’t, availability in EU is pretty scarce. It does look very similar to the CST C-186 though, that I had on for the winter.

• 2 months later...

So I finally got working parts to fix up one of my V11. So it is now having new motor with factory bear seal mounted. The IM hex pedals and a test version of EUC bodyguard with some padding for 'power or rather dontrol pads”. And of course the K66 80/90-14 Snowtex tire. 

I have tested this at 30psi which feels very firm to me so the tire also don't change shape when I step up on the wheel at 95kg geared up weight.

I had high hope but moderate expectations. Initially I am not failed into this change in riding behaviour. But I really like it..a lot. It is very very good at low speed/or slower than walking speeds. And yet it is a winter/knobby like pattern.

It feels very grippy and I think it will be a huge improvement in wet weather rides. It feels very nimble but here I have to give credit to @houseofjob. I found pushing down on my inside heel and having outside knee bend slightly makes it turns very sharp. And after a while it becomes a very easy way to aggressive turn the wheel. It was the resent discussion of carving  and ride style in softmode that made me much more aware of how to make the wheel do what I want. 

I am probably at a little too high tire pressure. But according to @mrelwood the tire soften up a bit after being worked in. I also pretty confident it is very hard to get a puncture through the tire at least under normal circumstances. Partly because of pattern and being reinforced.

it is a very tight fit though. And you might need to work a bit more to brake and accelerate. But keep in mind I haven't ridding for weeks while waiting for parts.

More testing coming. And once I get my first V11 in riding order I will try that with the K66 80/80-14 Snowtex so I can compare these.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

So i just ordered a snow tire for my inmotion v-11 and the tire is a IRC GS23 Tire - 80/80-14 Snow Tire.

Whats weird is that other threads list the tire as bla/bla -14 which i thought meant the rim size is 14" is this correct? when looking on the inmotion website they list the tire as 18". Anyone know if that is a rim diameter or the outer edge of the tire? Should the tire i purchased fit?

4 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

So i just ordered a snow tire for my inmotion v-11 and the tire is a IRC GS23 Tire - 80/80-14 Snow Tire.

Looks great! you could’ve probably fit a 80/90 as well.

Whats weird is that other threads list the tire as bla/bla -14 which i thought meant the rim size is 14" is this correct?

Yes.

when looking on the inmotion website they list the tire as 18". Anyone know if that is a rim diameter or the outer edge of the tire?

Approximate outer diameter. More here:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/19313-tire-sizes-explained

7 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Should the tire i purchased fit?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Looks great! you could’ve probably fit a 80/90 as well.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Looking forward to my first year of winter riding. I stupidly went out on my original tire the other day when we had our first snow of the season. Was great across the grass and going straight but very bad when i went to turn...:(

49 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I've installed a Michelin Pilot Street in an 80/80-14 size to replace my worn out C-1488

Looks great for street riding in the summer, i will keep this in mind. Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

very bad when i went to turn...:(

Just remember that even though you’ll have a winter tire with surely great grip on various snowy surfaces, even it won’t keep you up on the worst kind of ice. Studs is the only thing that grips on ice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I've recently installed a Michelin Pilot Street in an 80/80-14

Did you go for the front or rear tyre option? Also, I’ve seen a YouTube video where he installed the 80/90 version which I guess has a higher sidewall and less clearance

Edited by Stevebee

7 hours ago, Stevebee said:

Did you go for the front or rear tyre option? Also, I’ve seen a YouTube video where he installed the 80/90 version which I guess has a higher sidewall and less clearance

I went for the rear tire. At the time 80/80-14 was the only size available so I bought it. It is very similar in height to the stock C-1488 so I'm pleased with it. I've also ordered a 80/90-14 Continental ContiScoot rear tire that I can compare the Michelin to when I receive it. That tire is being installed on my new Sherman-S when it comes in :D(04/2023)

Here is another pic of the Michelins because they look cool

20221120_165423.thumb.jpg.c71d38fcc3e8e683d7f14c590d138251.jpg

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

I went for the rear tire. At the time 80/80-14 was the only size available so I bought it. It is very similar in height to the stock C-1488 so I'm pleased with it. I've also ordered a 80/90-14 Continental ContiScoot rear tire that I can compare the Michelin to when I receive it. That tire is being installed on my new Sherman-S when it comes in :D(04/2023)

Here is another pic of the Michelins because they look cool

20221120_165423.thumb.jpg.c71d38fcc3e8e683d7f14c590d138251.jpg

How wide is it? Please, could you measure it?