Gotway MSP will NOT turn on

Zombie Batman

PXL-20201020-035848194.jpg

My MSP will no longer turn on.  I'm looking for advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.  It was working fine, until I came to an awkward stop and the wheel fell to its side at a speed of 0 mph.  It came down to rest on its side fairly gently.  I picked it up and found that the wheel was powered down.  And now the wheel will not turn back on again.

- No lights, no balance, and the buzzer does not beep. 

- There is no visible damage inside.

- At the battery connector I am measuring 93v.

- When I hold down the power button the main fan spins.

- When I hold down the power button I can see a red light light up and the bluetooth board.

- When I hold down the power button I can connect through the app, but no stats are displayed.

- When I hold down the power button the bluetooth speaker unit lets out a small beep.

- When I hold down the power button I can connect to the bluetooth speaker.

I've attempted to reset the wheel, by unplugging the battery and holding the power button until the fan stops spinning and the bluetooth red light goes out.  I then plugged the battery back in, but the wheel will still not power on. 

What else can I try?

Pretty much exact thing happened to me yesterday. Nikola 84v died.

Wheel does not spin freely.

Holding down power has the rear light flashing and fan on.

I did not try Bluetooth or connecting to app.

Contacted the seller and he is certain its the controller and will send me a new one. I'm not mechanically inclined but will try to replace it.

Any1 know if it'll be too hard to replace? Where can I get the silicone that's used in the board?

Edited by cuu

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2020 at 6:16 AM, Zombie Batman said:

PXL-20201020-035848194.jpg

My MSP will no longer turn on.  I'm looking for advice on how to troubleshoot this problem.  It was working fine, until I came to an awkward stop and the wheel fell to its side at a speed of 0 mph.  It came down to rest on its side fairly gently.  I picked it up and found that the wheel was powered down.  And now the wheel will not turn back on again.

- No lights, no balance, and the buzzer does not beep. 

- There is no visible damage inside.

- At the battery connector I am measuring 93v.

- When I hold down the power button the main fan spins.

- When I hold down the power button I can see a red light light up and the bluetooth board.

- When I hold down the power button I can connect through the app, but no stats are displayed.

- When I hold down the power button the bluetooth speaker unit lets out a small beep.

- When I hold down the power button I can connect to the bluetooth speaker.

I've attempted to reset the wheel, by unplugging the battery and holding the power button until the fan stops spinning and the bluetooth red light goes out.  I then plugged the battery back in, but the wheel will still not power on. 

What else can I try?

Why did you use the second Bluetooth connector (the lowest one) instead of that above it? You put it in the brown connector nearest to the 6p jst-xh 2.54mm of the motherboard cable. Does it matter or is it irrelevant? 

According the pinout reference graphic I have there are two brown connectors both labeled bluetooth 1 and bluetooth 2.  I just picked one and it worked.  Those brown connector simply supply power.  In theory the spare one could be used to power other accessories.

Edited by Zombie Batman

On 10/21/2020 at 9:03 AM, Chriull said:

Interesting - a new symptom for a dead and blocked wheel!

There was no mention of resistance to rotating the tire on the wheel that got fixed from unplugging the lift switch. My guess is it rotated freely.

Resistance to rotating the tire is still pretty much a sure sign of a burnt board or toasted motor wires.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mrelwood said:

There was no mention of resistance to rotating the tire on the wheel that got fixed from unplugging the lift switch. My guess is it rotated freely.

Resistance to rotating the tire is still pretty much a sure sign of a burnt board or toasted motor wires.

Correct, the wheel would spin freely.

• Like 1