TG F-5 500W motor upgrade

mokwichi

Hi Guys,

I just finished upgrading my TG F5 which I love so much with a 500W motor and Controller (w/ bluetooth app) upgrade that I bought from Alibaba (see links). And the best part was that it was 95% swappable. The only thing that did not plug in to the new board from the TG board was the 5V led that's on the power switch, which I simply left unplugged.

Everything about this mod was easier than I thought. The order from alibaba could not have been smoother. The Fashion MicorWorks company is on point. The shipped my item within 1 business day and the contact person emailed back within an hour of recieving my emails. I was  expecting more trouble, but it all went smoothly. I am working on a video of how to do the mod which I'll post. But in short, my TG-F5 now goes upto about 17mph and I have the gotway app from which I can see info about the system. And I still can play my music and have my leds, so all is good. Stay tuned for video and pics of the mod if you are interested.

Yes. The shipping costs are somewhat high. But like esaj said it was a learning experience for a tinkerer like me. Also, I couldn't find a uni that didn't have issues and that had Bluetooth music, an app and LEDs. The gotway mcm4 which I was looking at had some concerning reviews. The ninebot did not have a large enough battery. Neither did the IPS zero. So I was left to build my own. And after $250 mod, the whole uni cost me $740. It goes about 17mph and has LEDs, a large 528wh pack and Bluetooth music. So I got all I wanted this way for equal or less than market cost...

good to hear Colestien. Its definitely doable. The hardest part was taking apart the bolts on the wheel. They will be secured on there tight. Really tight. So get a vice, a heat gun and some patience. Can't wait to hear how your mod goes...

-mokwichi

This is some inspiring work here.

As a ninebot owner, I'd love to be among the first to try an 800 watt motor upgrade to a ninebot E+. Granted I have no idea if it would just be a straight swap from 500w to 800w (or 1000w… bwahaha!), or which motors to even look at, but from what I've seen, the E+ controller is used for the P which has the 800 watt motor. Until a P+ board is inevitably released, I think the cooling issues for the existing board using an upgraded motor could be addressed with either a small fan, an upgraded heat sink or both. 

This is awesome. The board looks like the so called second generation(characterized by two large electrolytic capacitors but no current sensor IC) and one of my friends(I gave my IPS A130 to his son) assembled several EUs using the same board which performs very similar to Gotway MCM2. The cost is significantly less though at about 300 USD each with 340Wh Samsung batteries.

5 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@mokwichi

I just created a wiki page sharing this information, I hope you don't mind: https://github.com/generic-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/Generic-Electric-Unicycle-upgrade-modding

@electric_vehicle_lover

No worries at all. That's the point of sharing mods. I'll try to get pics and any video up this weekend.

On 12/10/2015 at 11:06 PM, zlymex said:

This is awesome. The board looks like the so called second generation(characterized by two large electrolytic capacitors but no current sensor IC) and one of my friends(I gave my IPS A130 to his son) assembled several EUs using the same board which performs very similar to Gotway MCM2. The cost is significantly less though at about 300 USD each with 340Wh Samsung batteries.

baozi1.jpg

baozi2.jpg

does it solve the BMS shutdown? it seems that this EUC has quality components

On 2015/12/18 at 9:46 PM, joelren2k said:

does it solve the BMS shutdown? it seems that this EUC has quality components

It's been 8 months now and I've heard no negative respond from the users except one of EUCs were prone to overheat and the main board replaced.
Although I have a photo of the battery pack but I don't know the inside construction. I did tried idling very hard on the pink EUC and no BMS shutdown happened.

29 minutes ago, zlymex said:

It's been 8 months now and I've heard no negative respond from the users except one of EUCs were prone to overheat and the main board replaced.
Although I have a photo of the battery pack but I don't know the inside construction. I did tried idling very hard on the pink EUC and no BMS shutdown happened.

thanks the info zlymex.

Also though, shutdowns usually occur because of the bms not the motor controller... And there are ways to prevent shutdowns that you can see on other parts if this forum but you sacrifice something too. Usually over discharge protection. But some EUs have well designed or 'safe BMSs' and don't need any mods.

Archived