The FlyBeeper Mod

FlyboyEUC

Ever cutout on a Gotway wheel because you couldn't hear the beeps? It's not uncommon to hear from people who love to ride fast. I've been struggling with the beeper placement ever since I purchased a Gotway. After many months and a cutout, I finally came up with the FlyBeeper. This mod positions the beeper straight up unobstructed by anything on your wheel. It's been tested and works great.

For those wanting to do this on your own, the first 10 or so minutes are the steps necessary to split the shell and install it. I'm not positive if the stock buzzer wire length is long enough so soldering may be required. The other 15 minutes is me explaining my additional beeper switch. Just swapping the top panel is pretty easy and should only take an hour or two, adding the switch will add a couple more hours and require some soldering. See my motor switch video description for details on tools needed to install a switch. https://youtu.be/7TxPBVzqYDQ

The FlyBeeper is available for personal use and can be downloaded at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:458... Please note that the file isn't the most 3D printer friendly since it was designed for injection molding. I've since modified the file to be more printer friendly and have not tested it yet. Visit http://euco.us/flybeeper to purchase the panel and the entire assembly if you want so all you have to do is remove the original top panel and plug in the new one.

I've received many comments about the water prevention and this mod is not very water proof just like the original panel. From what I understand the beeper itself is pretty waterproof but could oxidize quicker if water gets in. I recommend using hot glue or silicone to create a seal around the components if you ride in rain often. There are also 29mm rubber caps available on amazon and other ways to quickly prevent water intrusion, but know that if you cover the beeper, the sound will be quieter.

• Like 2

I've done both my MCM5 and my MSuperX and both running great for six months.  I just put them through the side cases and only had to extend the MCM5 one a little.  I used to the mounting holes in the beeper to mount it on the case.

You can see them below.

• Like 1

Nice work guys :thumbup:

I will be looking at those vids later. For now, I do use my usb port occasionally when my phone craps out on all day rides so I just moved mine to the top, still running the stock beeper driver.

I dremmeled off the 'ears' on the buzzer then epoxied it to an aluminium plate the same shape as the original buzzer footprint. The plate provides a firm base for the buzzer to resonate against. Then I drilled the shell and mounted using 2 countersunk bolts and nyloc nuts so nothing comes loose.

Theres not been a time when I havent heard it yet, but I am always interested to see what others are doing with buzzers :)

Edit: Pic removed - having a cull of my uploads to retrieve space.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1