14D, V8 or One S1 for not so young rider and 3 mile rides?

Rodo

21 hours ago, AtlasP said:

The V8 has been discontinued, and none of those things are true regarding the V8F which replaced it. In comparison to the V8F, the 14D has a worse motor, top speed, safety (due to the smaller motor, speed limit, & tire), and ride quality (due to the V8F's larger tire & upgraded V10-style pedals). The upgrades in the V8F make it closer to a KS-16S speed/power-wise instead of the ancient KS-14D (not to mention that both the KS-14's & KS-16S are only 67V). I would not consider any of the 14" wheels over the 16" V8F for an adult. (The MCM5 V2 with its upgrades would be the only 14" worth considering if it were cheaper as it looks pretty solid, but it's just way too expensive for a 14" wheel IMO--like who in their right mind is buying a 14" MCM5 for $1350 when you can get any of a number of better 16" wheels including the Tesla for within $100 or less.)

The options presented were V8 and 14D and so I expressed my opinion on the relative merits of the two, as I happen to own both.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 8:48 PM, Marty Backe said:

You have valid points and a fresher perspective than mine is always appreciated. I am biased towards the super-enthusiasts who tend to hang out on the Interwebs. So thanks for adding some balance to my comments :thumbup:

After riding a rehabd 16x for several months, I have to say that it is very hard to go back to lesser 2'' tire machines like v8,s1, etc. - they feel like toys (as @Mike Sacristan indicated in another thread). A more powerful machine with a 3'' tire offers so much more stability and capacity to ride safely over varied terrains. Of course I was able to get the 16x at a bargain price due to its aquatic provenance. But if financial considerations are not a big issue, clearly starting on a more serious machine is the way to go. Ignorance is indeed bliss with EUC as once you have had several hours on a more powerful ride, low-mid tier rides become much less fun. So Marty's experience and wisdom once again prove true...

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I’m a 67 year old.. I went for the V8f as my first wheel. I have been more than happy with my choice, it offers a great compromise of being easy to ride, light weight and more than adequate range and performance. I may well buy something bigger in the future, but I’m very happy with the V8f. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nostris said:

I’m a 67 year old.. I went for the V8f as my first wheel. I have been more than happy with my choice, it offers a great compromise of being easy to ride, light weight and more than adequate range and performance. I may well buy something bigger in the future, but I’m very happy with the V8f. 

I end up getting a V8F as well.

• Like 1