14D, V8 or One S1 for not so young rider and 3 mile rides?

Rodo

Hi all,

I'm 50 years old and I want to get one of these EUC. I have an electric vehicle (EV) that I take to the local charge station and leave there for 4-5 hours to charge a couple of times a week. I use my bicycle to get back home (3 miles, a little uphill/downhill and 8 traffic lights). It takes me about 20 mins in my bicycle each 3 mile trip. Then later I bicycle back and drive home. Sometimes my EV gets disconnected from the charger so I have to bicycle again and see what happened. It gets tiresome for me to bicycle back and forth 2 or 3 times in a day and maybe 2 times a week. I'll be using the EUC in the bike lane on the street. Street bike lanes are not perfectly smooth but it is paved (asphalt), no off road stuff. 

I've been looking at these UAC and besides the fun factor it would be very useful to me if I could use it instead of my bicycle when I go charge my EV. I'm interested in either of these three models:

Segway One S1
King Song 14D
Inmotion V8 (not V8F)

It looks like the main difference between these is a 14" vs 16" wheel. I'm a fist time rider and I've never used a skate board. I sky so the balance part is not new but I was turned off by the Segway manual that says the recommended age is 16-50. I don't care about taking my sweet time to learn ...one week, one month, no problem ...I'm slow but steady :-). 
I've seen lots of videos on YouTube that recommend either the King Song 14D or Inmotion V8. The Segway seems older and out of stock anyway so it is probably out. I'm new and I'd like to know what you guys recommend. I'm more interested in the handling of the 14" vs 16" wheel size and overall size/weight of the EUC for an older beginner like me? If you are not so young and have one of these that would be great info. I wish I could try these two before I buy one but I can't find any place where they rent them in Orange county (near Newport Beach would be nice) in Southern California. The price is not an issue since I'm looking at about $900 either way. 

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

• Like 2

You should join my Telegram group. Dozens of local Southern California riders that you can potentially meet and/or ask questions of. See the link in my Signature.

The wheels you list are pure beginner wheels and will be OK (coin toss) if you truly are limited their use for going to and from your car. But if you ever want to have fun you'll quickly outgrow them.

• Like 1

s1 not the most comfy for beginner cuz of convex shells and no padding ( plus low speed unless u used hacked firmware ). Also low pedals and not very nimble. 14d i hv not ridden but v8 is a very solid and nimble light wheel and great to learn on! Marty says u will outgrown but that is coming from a guy who routinely kills the most powerful wheels and will do 60mile range tests! I was on a gw msx today and although it is much more powerful than a v8 it is also not very nimble and weighs a ton! So u may not outgrow a v8 as quickly as Marty says - if u do it is an ez resale :-)

caveat -Marty reputation =33000/my rep  =50 !

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 1

I find the S2/1 very nimble, but yes not the most comfortable and lacks a bit of power. I’d say maybe the v8 if you don’t need it to be as compact as the 14D.

Edited by null

1 hour ago, amelanso said:

s1 not the most comfy for beginner cuz of convex shells and no padding ( plus low speed unless u used hacked firmware ). Also low pedals and not very nimble. 14d i hv not ridden but v8 is a very solid and nimble light wheel and great to learn on! Marty says u will outgrown but that is coming from a guy who routinely kills the most powerful wheels and will do 60mile range tests! I was on a gw msx today and although it is much more powerful than a v8 it is also not very nimble and weighs a ton! So u may not outgrow a v8 as quickly as Marty says - if u do it is an ez resale :-)

You have valid points and a fresher perspective than mine is always appreciated. I am biased towards the super-enthusiasts who tend to hang out on the Interwebs. So thanks for adding some balance to my comments :thumbup:

Why V8 over the V8F? The V8F has replaced the V8 (which is discontinued & now out of stock most places/only exists as old stock) as a straight upgrade in power/safety/weight-limit/etc and likely resale value, and it (the V8F) would be my first suggestion over any of the wheels listed.

Edited by AtlasP

4 hours ago, amelanso said:

Hey Bro! I know this guy that does all of the long range rides in SoCal ! He really tears it up out there! He hops tall fences and has burned up more wheels than anyone I know! ...... And he turns 60 in November.  ............. Wait .... ... Yep!! it's @Marty Backe           (November right?) 

All true by the way. He burns wheels up almost intentionally for test purposes. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

Hey Bro! I know this guy that does all of the long range rides in SoCal ! He really tears it up out there! He hops tall fences and has burned up more wheels than anyone I know! ...... And he turns 60 in November.  ............. Wait .... ... Yep!! it's @Marty Backe           (November right?) 

Just about 30-days actually :D

• Like 2

I was 56 when I learnt to ride on my V5f. It was great to learn on but after a month I felt like I needed a little bit more. The same would probably apply to all the wheels you mention. I swapped to a KS16S and find that suits nearly all my needs. I suspect it would also suit your requirements but also allow you to go exploring when the need takes you. A V10F might also be suitable for you. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Why V8 over the V8F? The V8F has replaced the V8 (which is discontinued & now out of stock most places/only exists as old stock) as a straight upgrade in power/safety/weight-limit/etc and likely resale value, and it (the V8F) would be my first suggestion over any of the wheels listed.

I'd agree entirely with this sentiment if buying new.  The V8F strikes me as the perfect wheel for your uses.

If you're looking to buy used then the V8 can often be had for a bargain and would be my recommendation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RockyTop said:

If u become even a little interested in euc and u start poking arnd online u cannot help but find @Marty Backe! If there is such a thing as an euc celebrity it's Marty ( his V11 is rumored to be encrusted with diamonds and 24k gold flecks)... The amount of helpful/entertaining euc-related content he has produced is astonishing. I am 52 and in good shape and I can barely make a 20mile ride while Marty is pushing long haul range tests to 60+ miles! 

Have I heard of @Marty Backe? There is a heretofore unknown tribe of bushfolk recently discovered in the deepest recess of the amazon jungle. When explorers got to their village they inquired about the tribe's spiritual beliefs. "eKcabYtram!! eKcabYtram!!" chanted the tribesmen. As the explorers seemed puzzled, the bush people lead them to a cave where they kept what was most sacred. There in the middle of the cave on a pedestal bathed in celestial light was -- (you know where I'm goin dontya!) -- a golden idol of  @Marty Backeclimbing Heartbreak Hill!

Edited by amelanso
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, amelanso said:

If u become even a little interested in euc and u start poking arnd online u cannot help but find @Marty Backe! If there is such a thing as an euc celebrity it's Marty ( his V11 is rumored to be encrusted with diamonds and 24k gold flecks)... The amount of helpful/entertaining euc-related content he has produced is astonishing. I am 52 and in good shape and I can barely make a 20mile ride while Marty is pushing long haul range tests to 60+ miles! 

Have I heard of @Marty Backe? There is a heretofore unknown tribe of bushfolk recently discovered in the deepest recess of the amazon jungle. When explorers got to their village they inquired about the tribe's spiritual beliefs. The bush people led them to a cave where they said they kept what was most sacred. There in the middle of the cave on a pedestal bathed in celestial light was -- (you know where I'm goin dontya!) -- a golden idol of  @Marty Backeclimbing Heartbreak Hill!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

a golden idol of  @Marty Backeclimbing Heartbreak Hill!

With white bone shoes right? .....

The purest have the golden Marty Idol with white bone shoes cut from the bones of the last living cyclops symbolizing the end of an age where we drag our bones on the ground to transport ourselves from one place to another while uplifting the unity of one and the beginning of the age of Marty. 

The golden Marty idol with the black painted shoes is a false idol. Just a marketing ploy sold In numbers by a Canadian profiteer. Turns out the Idols were not even gold. They were sculpted Legos smoothed by Play-Doe and covered in gold leaf.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the KS16S and it is not for me ($$$ and too heavy). I want something in the weight and price range of the V8. I may go for the V8F as someone suggested because the V8 is out of stock but that's about as high I'm willing to go (in $$$ and weight). I don't like to buy used stuff so it will be new ...95% sure :-) so far. Thanks again to everyone.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rodo said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the KS16S and it is not for me ($$$ and too heavy). I want something in the weight and price range of the V8. I may go for the V8F as someone suggested because the V8 is out of stock but that's about as high I'm willing to go (in $$$ and weight). I don't like to buy used stuff so it will be new ...95% sure :-) so far. Thanks again to everyone.  

Not a bad choice. :thumbup:  I think that you will find it very useful. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The purest have the golden Marty Idol with white bone shoes cut from the bones of the last living cyclops

TIM: There he is!

ARTHUR: Where?

TIM: There!

ARTHUR: What, behind the rabbit?

TIM: It is the rabbit.

ARTHUR: You silly sod!

TIM: What?

ARTHUR: You got us all worked up!

TIM: Well, that's no ordinary rabbit!

ARTHUR: Ohh.

TIM: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

ROBIN: You tit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!

TIM: Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

GALAHAD: Get stuffed!

TIM: He'll do you up a treat, mate.

GALAHAD: Oh, yeah?

ROBIN: You mangy Scots git!

TIM: I'm warning you!

ROBIN: What's he do, nibble your bum?

TIM: He's got huge, sharp-- eh-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!

For your use case (short distance, priority convenience) I would recommend 14D over V8. I like the V8, it was my second wheel, but 14D is smaller, has the same speed capability, better trolley handle, and I find it it rides better than V8.

2 hours ago, Rodo said:

Might be worth considering the MCM5? There are several v2 configurations but one comes with a 2.5" tire fitted and a lot of reviews say it rides like a 16" wheel. Slightly pricier than the V8 but you get quite a bit more for your money. 1500W motor (vs 800W for the V8) and 800Wh (vs 480Wh) battery so it's got a bit more poke (especially for hills) and will cope better with a day where multiple trips are needed.

20 hours ago, Rodo said:

Buying new has its merits ( condition/warranty/service ) but used can save you bigtime $$$ if you are not in a rush. imo 14/16inch wheel that goes 30kph with 30km range (real not spec) is a great option. These entry level wheels are often being cycled as new riders upgrade.Good luck with ur 1st wheel quest!

On 9/2/2020 at 12:15 PM, winterwheel said:

For your use case (short distance, priority convenience) I would recommend 14D over V8. I like the V8, it was my second wheel, but 14D is smaller, has the same speed capability, better trolley handle, and I find it it rides better than V8.

I think I'm going for a V8F. It is a bit more money and weight that I was looking for. Just because of the bigger wheel. I'm afraid of potholes on the bike lane with the 14D. But since I'm in no hurry to get it I may change my mind. I'm going to the beach this labor day weekend and I'll keep an eye out for people riding these wheels or anyone riding EUC. Now that I'm more familiar with the models I may ask them about it. But they are still a rarity on the board walk in Newport Beach. Probably/maybe because they're illegal on the boardwalk. The signs say "no skateboard, no motorized vehicles, etc" Although that does not stop all the people with electric bicycles and ... the guys with skateboards ...lol. Thanks.  

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 1:15 PM, winterwheel said:

The V8 has been discontinued, and none of those things are true regarding the V8F which replaced it. In comparison to the V8F, the 14D has a worse motor, top speed, safety (due to the smaller motor, speed limit, & tire), and ride quality (due to the V8F's larger tire & upgraded V10-style pedals). The upgrades in the V8F make it closer to a KS-16S speed/power-wise instead of the ancient KS-14D (not to mention that both the KS-14's & KS-16S are only 67V). I would not consider any of the 14" wheels over the 16" V8F for an adult. (The MCM5 V2 with its upgrades would be the only 14" worth considering if it were cheaper as it looks pretty solid, but it's just way too expensive for a 14" wheel IMO--like who in their right mind is buying a 14" MCM5 for $1350 when you can get any of a number of better 16" wheels including the Tesla for within $100 or less.)

Edited by AtlasP

On 9/1/2020 at 8:58 PM, Rodo said:

Hi all,

I'm 50 years old and I want to get one of these EUC. I have an electric vehicle (EV) that I take to the local charge station and leave there for 4-5 hours to charge a couple of times a week. I use my bicycle to get back home (3 miles, a little uphill/downhill and 8 traffic lights). It takes me about 20 mins in my bicycle each 3 mile trip. Then later I bicycle back and drive home. Sometimes my EV gets disconnected from the charger so I have to bicycle again and see what happened. It gets tiresome for me to bicycle back and forth 2 or 3 times in a day and maybe 2 times a week. I'll be using the EUC in the bike lane on the street. Street bike lanes are not perfectly smooth but it is paved (asphalt), no off road stuff. 

I've been looking at these UAC and besides the fun factor it would be very useful to me if I could use it instead of my bicycle when I go charge my EV. I'm interested in either of these three models:

Segway One S1
King Song 14D
Inmotion V8 (not V8F)

It looks like the main difference between these is a 14" vs 16" wheel. I'm a fist time rider and I've never used a skate board. I sky so the balance part is not new but I was turned off by the Segway manual that says the recommended age is 16-50. I don't care about taking my sweet time to learn ...one week, one month, no problem ...I'm slow but steady :-). 
I've seen lots of videos on YouTube that recommend either the King Song 14D or Inmotion V8. The Segway seems older and out of stock anyway so it is probably out. I'm new and I'd like to know what you guys recommend. I'm more interested in the handling of the 14" vs 16" wheel size and overall size/weight of the EUC for an older beginner like me? If you are not so young and have one of these that would be great info. I wish I could try these two before I buy one but I can't find any place where they rent them in Orange county (near Newport Beach would be nice) in Southern California. The price is not an issue since I'm looking at about $900 either way. 

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

I would recommend buying a small and inexpensive unicycle first. Initially, until you learn to ride it, you will often fall. Then there will be breakdowns at the unicycle. On expensive models, repairs will cost more. Then, as you learn to drive well, then you can buy a more advanced version. That's why my advice is King Song 14D. In General, turn to one of the most famous video bloggers on EUC Denis Hagov. It specializes in personal electric transport. Has its own online store EUC SALE. It may be possible to negotiate with him about testing both of these models.
If you need Denis's contacts, write them.

6 hours ago, gihis said:

Initially, until you learn to ride it, you will often fall. Then there will be breakdowns at the unicycle. On expensive models, repairs will cost more. 

Respectfully I disagree - very unlikely that you would cause the machine to be damaged to the point of needing repairs while learning. If you use a solid approach  - use a spotter to start, learn on grass,etc. - you can minimise falls etc. These machines are tough and can handle the kinds of spills that may happen while learning. You will undoubtedly have to jump off euc  to avoid falling once you start riding and it will get scratched (some people wrap them up to protect). This is normal and assumed in the design and construction of an euc. I would not worry about this at all - any machine you buy from a reputable maker - ks,gw,im - will be fine and be a grt starting point! Used machine is a good choice for the cash conscious but you are not protected by warranty so there is some downside if the machine you get turns out to have an issue or just by coincidence develops an issue.  Above all EUC is meant to produce joy so hopefully you can use a joyful and stress-free process in getting your 1st machine!

• Like 1

My first (and only euc so far) is the 14D. I'll be turning 60 in a couple of months and I outgrew it within a couple of months of getting it. I got it to learn on until the V11 came out (hopefully I'll get mine this month some time). I'm not as familiar with the V8F but the 14D does seem to be pretty under-powered. It's fun and nimble but a 16" wheel would probably be better for you in the long run.

• Like 1