Ninebot One E+ First impressions & experience from a newb

SerpentineGX

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Bigi

Ninebot 1 has several modes,  mode 0 => no wobbling, very easy and secure up to mode 6 => wobbling, supposedly for comfortable rides (but downright dangerous). Maybe your problem is not the firwmare update but simply the wrong mode.

On the French forum, there is a competent NB1 reseller with good advices. He recommend to set to mode 0 and avoid other modes.

I intent to buy one for my wife (still haven't made up my mind between Gotway and Ninebot). I feel she would be indeed much safer on a powerfull wheel than on my X3 clones.

A firmware update makes users fall and break bones? If  Ninebot was an USA company, guess what would have happened to that company. Law suites ahoy! I do respect Ninebot as a company but just saying. Solowheels in USA are expensive because they may have factored in potential legal troubles by users ( my conspiracy theory any way). 

A firmware update makes users fall and break bones? If  Ninebot was an USA company, guess what would have happened to that company. Law suites ahoy! I do respect Ninebot as a company but just saying. Solowheels in USA are expensive because they may have factored in potential legal troubles by users ( my conspiracy theory any way). 

They could pull an iphone and state that the users are riding it wrong :P

+1

I too downloaded the new firmware when I 1st got my ninebot one and thought I'd go for the safe setting of 6 (middle ground between 1-9...ish)

And found it harder to ride it would react so slow to inputs it would feels as if it's making you wobble but it's simply just reacting to the movement before but because you have already countered that movement due to poor response it now wobbles,set mine to 0 and now reacts perfect-no issues,although I inflated the tyre the other day and OMG it was like re-learning all over again,so fast to respond

Unfortunately it is not possible to "down-date" the firmware (says speedyfeet UK in his video; see link in post number 19 of this thread). And yes we know that there are different riding modes and how to change them correctly (before we saw the video of speedyfeet). We have tested severel settings including 0 and 9.

Speedyfeet is doing a great job and and they know what they are speaking about. I think they are the best reseller in Europe.

And I also trust in Ninebot. This is why I ordered my own NB1 Model E. It will arrive this week and then it will be possible to compare the two ONEs with a payload of 110 kg.

Maybe my son's one is faulty. Maybe I'm too heavy (Ninebot specifies a max. payload of 120 kg). By the way: What is your payload when riding the NB1?

Anyway, I will soon report my experiences in this thread.

I do like the guy on speedyfeet.co.uk

His 18 minute video on YouTube, of him going a long way off road on the Ninebot (and having to push it in the mud) made me lol. He isn't afraid to show the bad points of the wheel - even though he's trying to sell them - which makes me think he's honest.

Bigi,

Sorry to hear about your son. I hope he's ok and is able to jump back on his wheel soon. The throttle back feature on the wheel is definitely a nuisance. I can see how it can throw someone off the wheel easily.

I found riding on setting 9 not to be a problem for me. I probably did about 15 miles in that setting while going through traffic, pedestrians, and straight aways. I felt the wheel throttle me back at times but never felt out of control. I rode about 8+ miles tonight on setting 0 and felt the throttle tilt the peddles further back, much quicker, than in setting 9. I did take a different route so that may have changed the dynamics of the wheel? I'm 6' and about 180 lbs and carry a light backpack (wheel charger, tablet, various chords, bottle water, and a sweatshirt. I'm going to test the settings further and see what kind of results I come up with.

If you can, borrow your son's wheel for about a week and see if it's a good fit for you. After reading various posts and reviews on this forum and watching countless videos YouTube it seems these wheels aren't a "one size fits all". 

Again, I hope your son feels better. :)

Cheers!

I do like the guy on speedyfeet.co.uk

His 18 minute video on YouTube, of him going a long way off road on the Ninebot (and having to push it in the mud) made me lol. He isn't afraid to show the bad points of the wheel - even though he's trying to sell them - which makes me think he's honest.

I saw the video too. lol It was pretty awesome how he just braved it and went off-road with that wheel. When I look at the Ninebot One I think of paved roads, sidewalks, and maybe some light unpaved trails. I never imagined mud! lol Something like a RockWheel looks like it can handle more extreme terrain because of the housing.

I cut the housing on my gotway 14 for better rough terrain performance. (Need a flex shaft or a dremel and some cut off disks aka seperation disks). I can tell you that any object large enough to need the housing to be higher, is also going to be an object that is large enough to stop you at low speed. Higher speed lets you clear some things you can't clear at low speed, at the price of higher risk if you fall. If you try off road wear full protection, and expect some road rash along the learning curve. (Perhaps its "off-road rash?")

Does your wheel feel different in terms of balance or weight? It sounds like it's more user friendly now. Cutting the housing on my wheel isn't an option, at least I don't think? Too much stuff to account for. The housing is something I'll put more consideration too if and when I get another wheel. Right now I want to learn how to hop this thing up a curb. It's a tank! When going over small lips on the road (about 1"-1.5") I can lighten the load from my wheel by shifting my body weight upward while clinching the wheel and make it over no problem. This is at slower to moderate speed. I'll practice hopping then hopping speed bumps this weekend.

…and two weeks go by…

So my wheels is now two weeks old and has 145km on it. I’m happy to report that my legs don’t hurt anymore. It’s been like that for about a week now. The leash is no longer needed (thanks for letting me borrow it, Leia – pit bull – I owe you a bone. J ). I have also been playing with the app a little.

I take my wheel to and from work daily now (home -> train -> shuttle -> work. Then work -> train -> home). Sometimes, when I’m feeling it, I get off a stop early and take the 8+ mile route. It’s the darkest route and by some orange groves. It’s starting to smell nice around there. I haven’t picked up any lights for my wheel yet but the LED’s are keeping me safe from traffic. It seems everyone notices. I kind of feel like a character from the movie TRON. Lol I take different routes home depending on my mood.

On this wheel I’m starting to find little shops that I hadn’t noticed before. It’s such a big contrast compared to being in a car. I’m diggin’ it. I’m learning how to position myself on the wheel, during long runs (1+ miles straights) , and how to keep my feet comfortable. The right shoes makes the journey more bearable. I use mid tops that have decent cushion, a comfortable arch, and ankle protection. My feet don’t feel as fatigued after 4+ miles of nonstop riding. I ordered a couple more pair of “skater” shoes because of this.  

Here are some of the pros and cons about the Ninebot One itself:

Subject to change anytime as I grow with this wheel

Pros:

Solid build – it’s a tank

Side LED’s are more than just beauty rings, it’s a safety feature at night

Peddles are comfortable for long hauls (8+ miles)

16” wheel handles rough roads well

Brakes good

Synergy between rider and wheel feels natural and predictable (though I’m still learning)

App is great at monitoring and vibrates when at max speed (phone has to be on, not stand by, and on vibrate mode)

Steep hills are a breeze

Kids love it and mother approved ;)

Cons:

It’s a tank – E+ is the heaviest of the heavy’s and it’s going to take some time learning to hop this thing

Peddles tilt back at limit (I’ve adjusted my riding because of this)

Wish it was faster (tilts back at about 21-22km/h)

Beeps… a lot - It’s not that loud but it’s constant after 20km/h

Gets dirty after every ride – it’s a dust/dirt magnet on glossy white surface

Keep in mind, this is just two weeks with this wheel so the pros and cons might change. I’m happy with it overall and will be out exploring tomorrow. J

post-249-0-00990000-1429335275_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much for your detailed review SerpentineGX!

Short review of 9b1 E

So I got myself a 9b1 too.

I've been able to ride about 40 km so far and I am quite satisfied. 

update:

During the weekend I was able to do a 18 km drive through the forest with lots of trails and few narrow roads. After the trip, the battery was still at 30% considering outside temperatures of 20°C and a driver weight of approx. 90 kg this is really ok. In offroad-use the EU needs much more power to compensate all the bumps and drops.

pro

----

- beautiful design

- BT connectivity

- anti-theft-function (although I'm not sure how easy it is to hack)

- decent top speed (I dont need to go faster than 20 kph)

- slim casing compared to Airwheel design

- powerful motor

- good clearance of the pedals thus making sharp turns possible

con

----

- no battery indicator on the eWheel itself

- pedals get very slippery when wet

- hurts my calves when getting on the wheel

- noisy motor

- very heavy

- not really suitable for off-road trails are not a problem for the 9b1, but the firewheel is much more suitable for off-road use

Alltogether it is a very good wheel for the money and the general arrangement of the components (wiring, battery, mainboard...) is elaborate. It not just another SoloWheel clone. 

con

----

The wheel actually does have a battery indicator on the wheel. When the wheel is stopped the LED's on the wheel will turn GREEN. The more you ride you'll notice the green LED's will start dipping from the top. It'll eventually turn orange then red. I find this very useful when I'm out on longer rides.

I suspected the pedals would be slippery when wet. I'll eventually add grip tape to mine.

Thanks for the input. :)

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi I also have a ninebot one e+. It has taken me three days to fully learn how to use it. I now use it everyday to get to work and from work to my home roughly roughly a five mile journey. I weight 310 pounds and this thing moves with great ease. the max weight is alot more than advertised on the web site . I just wish more people had them out here in nyc.

Hi SerpentineGX, I like the description of your first impressions with Ninebot One E+. I felt exactly the same wit my Airwheel X3. 

What firmware version are you running on your NB1? Maybe I will buy one for me.

At the moment there are discussions about the newest update version 1.1.6. (See for example

https://www.speedyfeet.uk/kb_results.asp?ID=12

Regards from Switzerland

Bigi

​Hi Bigi,

The very new one available is 1.2.0 but need to upgrade from a iOS device. 

Please check this little website for any accessories that you might need for Ninebot One E. Free shipping worldwide.

http://wheelyouride.webs.com/

For more tips and news regarding ninebot One and EU in general please follow this little goolge+ community:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103704604858097234749 

Unfortunately it is not possible to "down-date" the firmware (says speedyfeet UK in his video; see link in post number 19 of this thread). And yes we know that there are different riding modes and how to change them correctly (before we saw the video of speedyfeet). We have tested severel settings including 0 and 9.

Speedyfeet is doing a great job and and they know what they are speaking about. I think they are the best reseller in Europe.

And I also trust in Ninebot. This is why I ordered my own NB1 Model E. It will arrive this week and then it will be possible to compare the two ONEs with a payload of 110 kg.

Maybe my son's one is faulty. Maybe I'm too heavy (Ninebot specifies a max. payload of 120 kg). By the way: What is your payload when riding the NB1?

Anyway, I will soon report my experiences in this thread.

​I can offer downgrade framework and app if that is what you are after. mengkeli51@gmail.com Just send me a email.

Thank you very much for your detailed review SerpentineGX!

Short review of 9b1 E

So I got myself a 9b1 too.

I've been able to ride about 40 km so far and I am quite satisfied. 

update:

During the weekend I was able to do a 18 km drive through the forest with lots of trails and few narrow roads. After the trip, the battery was still at 30% considering outside temperatures of 20°C and a driver weight of approx. 90 kg this is really ok. In offroad-use the EU needs much more power to compensate all the bumps and drops.

pro

----

- beautiful design

- BT connectivity

- anti-theft-function (although I'm not sure how easy it is to hack)

- decent top speed (I dont need to go faster than 20 kph)

- slim casing compared to Airwheel design

- powerful motor

- good clearance of the pedals thus making sharp turns possible

con

----

- hurts my calves when getting on the wheel

- noisy motor

- very heavy

- not really suitable for off-road trails are not a problem for the 9b1, but the firewheel is much more suitable for off-road use

Alltogether it is a very good wheel for the money and the general arrangement of the components (wiring, battery, mainboard...) is elaborate. It not just another SoloWheel clone. 

​I like how you summarize it "not just another solowheel clone".

Please check this little website for any accessories that you might need for Ninebot One E. Free shipping worldwide.

For more tips and news regarding ninebot One and EU in general please follow this little goolge+ community:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103704604858097234749 

Edited just now by mengke

​Hi Bigi,

The very new one available is 1.2.0 but need to upgrade from a iOS device. 

Your accessories are priced a little high when compared to others. I knew Australia would be priced a little higher but wow! :o

http://www.electricunicycleonline.com/ninebot-accessories.html

But, to your credit, you seem very knowledgeable about the Ninebot One (from all your other posts). :)

• 2 weeks later...

have ordered my ninebot E+ (on  ebay from china)

this may perhaps sounds silly but ... how do i know I got the right model delivered? (500w motor power/320 battery capacity).

are these infos labelled on the box or the ninebot body itself? or do I need to open the wheel to check the actual motor/battery inside?

this may perhaps sounds silly but ... how do i know I got the right model delivered? (500w motor power/320 battery capacity).

are these infos labelled on the box or the ninebot body itself? or do I need to open the wheel to check the actual motor/battery inside?

​I don't think the motor has the rating marked on it (could be wrong though), but at least the battery pack should have a label:

838f75255560.jpg

From the pictures it also looks that the battery pack for "normal" E (240Wh) seems to be always wrapped in blue shrink wrap, and the 320Wh for E+ is yellow/orange/whatever the color is in the above picture. Do you have any specific reason to doubt that it wouldn't be the E+ -version you're getting?

​If you got it from the Ninbot ebay store then you should get the right wheel. I doubt they would want dupe you with a different wheel. There's only a sticker that says E+ next to the E on the box. However, if you got the wheel from a different vendor then double check your batter - behind the right leg pad. To get to it remove the LED ring (snaps off/on) and unscrew the leg/battery cover. 

Archived