Getting a new GW Nik+. Suggestions after unboxing...

Guy

A 200 mile Nik+ update. This wheel is awesome! Now with better protective gear, motorcycle pads and helmet, I have ridden up to 33 mph. F'in fast! A least to me. So stable at speed. With the 2.66 Kwh battery, I just have no range anxiety. I ride, a lot of times, with the cars in the street. Road sides here SUCK! Few bike lanes. I do need to keep my situational awareness up much more than with the V8, because of the greater speed and a much heavier, 65#, wheel. Well, so far, so good. Thanks everyone for all you contribute. Peace from Maine...Guy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Guy said:

A 200 mile Nik+ update. This wheel is awesome! Now with better protective gear, motorcycle pads and helmet, I have ridden up to 33 mph. F'in fast! A least to me. So stable at speed. With the 2.66 Kwh battery, I just have no range anxiety. I ride, a lot of times, with the cars in the street. Road sides here SUCK! Few bike lanes. I do need to keep my situational awareness up much more than with the V8, because of the greater speed and a much heavier, 65#, wheel. Well, so far, so good. Thanks everyone for all you contribute. Peace from Maine...Guy

Great to hear! I was actually wondering last night how it has been going... and there it was... an update from you!

I also tend to ride more and more on the streets. Even though we have very many nice bike paths some of them are shared with pedestrians and I find it more and more inappropriate for me to be on them as I tend to ride fast. 

I totally agree about the situational awareness thing, seeing and hearing as much as possible helps. As well as always assuming that the worst thing that can happen will happen!
Will a car pop up out at this intersection that I can't see properly? Yes.
Will this car wait for me to pass? No? 

• Like 3

On 9/18/2020 at 2:12 PM, valar said:

Hi Guys 

I'm looking for more information on this wheel... 

Has anyone done a range test? 

Does the extra batteries add anything other than more range and weight? 

Thanks

I have done quite a bit of riding with a Loomo Nik rider and the range is pretty much equal to my 1Rad 2664Wh Nikola Plus.
I have also had a heavy rider on my Nik and there is also a heavier rider on a Loomo Nik. He is quite the speedster though so he gets significantly worse range than I do.

The range doesn't make much sense on it's own but I have equated it to some other wheels and my riding style / speeds on them.

MSX 84v = 60km
16X = 70km
MSP = 80km
My Nikola Plus = 120km 

On 9/18/2020 at 7:46 PM, Murdomeek said:

Only adds range and weight

Top speed stays the same

Yeah... you just get the higher speeds for longer. :)

And also you get a stronger battery config. 24s6p instead of 24s4p. 60A continuous instead of 40A continuous. Which is quite a chunk.

Tobias did overlean his Nik last night though. He went from 40-60kmh at 60% battery. He has done this before though.. the difference being he was on soft mode and I know from experience that the pedals on the Nik can dip on soft mode if you crank hard. They dipped and did not recover and he went down.

He must have pushed it craaaaaazy hard though. No crash footage but just some showing of his riding style and speed overlay.

And a music video I made with him and his Loomo Nik.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 5:08 AM, Guy said:

Hi all. Just weighed the Nik: 65.6 pounds. Just an update of my rides so far: I rode yesterday for 28 miles. The Nik showed, via DacknessBot: 68% battery. I stopped because of sore feet and tiredness. I am about the same dimensions as Marty at: 175 pounds body weight and around 200 pounds with my loaded backpack. The big thing I notice the most is the wheel weight. Compared to my 30# V8, the Nik has to be really pushed to react. The Nik came with a peddle angle setting of -23 degrees. I rode the first ride with this setting without difficulty. After settling to around 0 degrees, I now get wheel wobble at speeds over 20 mph. I'll try different angles to see what works the best. Tire pressue I increased to 40 psi, yet as Mike says, the wheel bounces a lot of rough roads. That's OK with the lighter V8, yet not with the massive Nik. I'm going to try lower tire pressures to find a happy medium. So far its a wonderful wheel. Oh, the power and torque of the Nik seems like the V8. Probably due to the increased weight of the Nik. However, the Nik's power just keeps going! As speed increases, there is still good power. Of course, I have not gone faster than 25 mph. I need better familiarization and skills to ride responsibly faster. Anyway, I look forward to many excursions and explorations. Peace from Maine USA...Guy

IMG_4647.jpg

Hi Guy, congrats on the wheel!

What did you did to abate the speed /brake wobbles you had?

I'm finding the same on my Nikola Plus at 20+ mph unless I put one foot so far back on the pedal it's a bit uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again! I've had my Nik+ quite a while now. I found, on the wheel wobbles, that I was too tense. When I would relax the wobbles would stop. I top out at around 30 mph now as I have made it up to 35 yet I don't feel the need to go that fast. 30 mph on our roads is fast enough. I like to ride slower as I enjoy the scenery more. As for braking wobbles, I do ride with my right foot back a little further and brake harder on one foot than the other. Also, I've tried fitting, and riding, a bicycle seat. Riding seated I found was too uncomfortable no matter which bicycle seat I used or which seat position on the wheel. I found the need to be able to reposition my weight fore and after for riding conditions which bicycle seats do not do well. I rode my V8 and Nik+ yesterday. Both are great, yet the V8's lack of range was really shown. The V8 is more fun on tough trails as it is much lighter: 30 vs 65 pounds. The Nik just wants to go on and on, and go fast! Peace from Maine...Guy

• Like 1

About riding seated on the nik, it depends on the size of the seat and where you position it. It took me a few tries (and checked many times tobias's nik on @Mike Sacristan videos ) but eventually its ok. Ill make a post one day to explain about it. Its really great and allows to rest when tired. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

Hey Ronin! I look forward to your post on a Nik seat. I'll try to find Tobias's posts/videos. I installed the bicycle seats like Marty did in one of has videos. Also, the seats were lower, or closer, to the wheel than his. I did not like the "springyness" of the wire mounts I used either. I do want to retain the ease of use of the handle and as little, of an issue, with seat interference while riding standing. Appears to be not as easy to achieve. Peace...Guy

• 6 months later...

Hi all! I’ve been researching my next wheel and have targeted a long range wheel to complement my Tesla. I earmarked the Sherman and EXN as options, but can’t let go the prospect of a smaller wheel like the Nikola but with the battery size of these larger cruiser wheels.

Guy, I heard you have lost your Nik. While it may be late, my condolences. It really sounds like this wheel was quite special.

For those still riding your 2600 Wh Nik+, is it still holding up? Any troubles with battery or anything of that nature? I’m on the cusp of just buying outright but I wanted to reach out to those who have had experience with it firsthand. Is there a better experience purchasing from Loomo or Wheel Rider, or is there another store to consider?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000139012385.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_16770918.pic_5

• Like 1

Actually, I take this back. I just came across Mike's video from last Fall regarding the cutout on his Nik+ and again, a bit late, but again, I'm glad the crash wasn't too severe and a lot of good tips for what to expect in a crash.

I'm good with letting the 2700 Wh Nikola drop off as one of my options. Back to my primary option of Sherman for my target next long range wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 10:04 PM, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Actually, I take this back. I just came across Mike's video from last Fall regarding the cutout on his Nik+ and again, a bit late, but again, I'm glad the crash wasn't too severe and a lot of good tips for what to expect in a crash.

I'm good with letting the 2700 Wh Nikola drop off as one of my options. Back to my primary option of Sherman for my target next long range wheel.

The Nik that crashed was from 1Radwerkstatt. After a motherboard change the wheel is fine.

We have two Loomo Nik riders in the group and both are still running just fine.
Petra has a little over 6000km on hers.

Latest batches come with a nicer tire too... good times!

The Sherman is definitely very nice though and so is the EXN.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The Nik that crashed was from 1Radwerkstatt. After a motherboard change the wheel is fine.

We have two Loomo Nik riders in the group and both are still running just fine.
Petra has a little over 6000km on hers.

Latest batches come with a nicer tire too... good times!

The Sherman is definitely very nice though and so is the EXN.

Thanks for responding Mike! This is enough to put the Loomo Nik back on my list. I honestly think this is the closest wheel to keeping the agility of a 16" wheel but having that high battery long range capability. I just don't think any of the companies are looking to put large batteries on smaller wheels.

It does help too that the price is still in that ~2k price range while the EXN is at ~3k, and the Sherman is recently climbing to that ~3.5k range. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Thanks for responding Mike! This is enough to put the Loomo Nik back on my list. I honestly think this is the closest wheel to keeping the agility of a 16" wheel but having that high battery long range capability. I just don't think any of the companies are looking to put large batteries on smaller wheels.

It does help too that the price is still in that ~2k price range while the EXN is at ~3k, and the Sherman is recently climbing to that ~3.5k range. 

My pleasure!

If you take a look at the Loomo Nik pricing (2180 USD) and compare it with the EXN from chicway.shop (2400 USD) then you will see that they are not ridiculously far apart.

Then the next question is... is one better than the other?
Well they are definitely different from each other.
One I would ride in rain and the other I would not.
One I would ride at a skate park and the other I would feel is lacking.
One carves beautifully while the other does so a bit more clumsily.
One is faster than the other.
One is more nimble than the other.
One has more torque than the other but the one with less torque feels more torquey.
One is a mod and the other is not.
One gets more range than the other.

The Fat Nik is a dream to ride. I will gladly eat up any bumps out there at 50kmh... and think about life a bit at 60kmh.
The EXN gives me the +10kmh I wanted.

Petra weighs 57kg and rides the Loomo Nik like it was nothing. After riding the Fat Nik a normal Nik feels like a toy. The extra weight makes the Fat Nik a bit more planted.

The EXN is a motorcycle though... so yeah... it is something else indeed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

My pleasure!

If you take a look at the Loomo Nik pricing (2180 USD) and compare it with the EXN from chicway.shop (2400 USD) then you will see that they are not ridiculously far apart.

Then the next question is... is one better than the other?
Well they are definitely different from each other.
One I would ride in rain and the other I would not.
One I would ride at a skate park and the other I would feel is lacking.
One carves beautifully while the other does so a bit more clumsily.
One is faster than the other.
One is more nimble than the other.
One has more torque than the other but the one with less torque feels more torquey.
One is a mod and the other is not.
One gets more range than the other.

The Fat Nik is a dream to ride. I will gladly eat up any bumps out there at 50kmh... and think about life a bit at 60kmh.
The EXN gives me the +10kmh I wanted.

Petra weighs 57kg and rides the Loomo Nik like it was nothing. After riding the Fat Nik a normal Nik feels like a toy. The extra weight makes the Fat Nik a bit more planted.

The EXN is a motorcycle though... so yeah... it is something else indeed.

Thanks again for the feedback! This format was perfect, one vs. another. This was enough to get me to buy today. I wanted to buy last night, but decided to sleep on it. Woke up this morning and weighed it out carefully. To be honest, I ride a Tesla v2 and what I -really- want is just for my Tesla v2 to have a 2700 Wh Battery haha. I love the ride and feel of it, just not the limitation in range.

The only other wheels with larger batteries are the larger wheels, but like your recent video with the poor burned out Sherman, I don't want to have to get power pads and have to do all kinds of crazy leans just to accelerate, break or make turns. I dig what Petra's doing...gliding and braking effortlessly without pads...but to have a wheel that can do that for 60+ miles instead of 40 miles. Agility with range. A tried and true design. Like the Tesla, great performance for the price. Fat Nik is the closest to this, and probably will be the only wheel that would satisfy this. I don't see future wheels going in this direction.

I'm also fortunate to have PEV works nearby that I can call in should my wheel have any troubles, but it sounds like the Loomo shop does a pretty decent job with this wheel. Never thought at the start of the year that I'd be buying a modded EUC overseas, but then here we are. Thanks once again for the feedback!!

I'm also waiting a Nik + 100v delivery, regular 1800 battery... factory shipping. 

But it's being a very long wait, 50 days already passed since the purchase and the wheel is still at the Russia / Kazakhstan border (I'm in Europe)... 

So yes, if you go for a purchase from China expect to wait more time then usual in this period 

• Like 1

Ah, Loomo contacted me to let me know that their stock of Nik+ 2700 Wh is sold out. They offered to send a Monster in its place, but alas, for me it was the Nik or nothing! Guess I’ll just keep saving up money and weigh once again between the Sherman and the EXN, or see if Gotway/Begode will come up with a Nikola successor in response to the V12. Thanks again to everyone for the thoughts the past couple of weeks.

12 hours ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Ah, Loomo contacted me to let me know that their stock of Nik+ 2700 Wh is sold out. They offered to send a Monster in its place, but alas, for me it was the Nik or nothing! Guess I’ll just keep saving up money and weigh once again between the Sherman and the EXN, or see if Gotway/Begode will come up with a Nikola successor in response to the V12. Thanks again to everyone for the thoughts the past couple of weeks.

Nooooo! Sorry to hear!

• Like 1