Considering a KS14D as my first EUC.

I’m considering the king song 14d as my first EUC. I’ve been obsessed with watching YouTube videos of people riding these electric unicycles. On ewheels.com the 14 D seems to be the best bang for your buck on a budget. Thoughts? I’m trying to find places around Phoenix Arizona that sells these locally. Otherwise I’ll pick one up on ewheels. Unless someone wants to sell me a cheapie I can learn on :-).

• Like 1

Hi road runner. I’m trying to keep the cost of the wheel itself under 1000. I’m 185 pounds. It’s mostly for learning and if it survives that process I’ll keep it for a while and if my wife can get the hang of it will get one for each of us. The king song 14 D seems to be 850 or less and appears to be well reviewed by most people.I’m trying to be room in my sub thousand dollar budget for protective gear.

• Like 2

850 just for a learner is a lot of money. You can get a pretty nice used wheel for that kind of money if you're lucky (or a used learner for less). Check out the second hand forum here.

The 14D isn't bad, though, and can work as an (initial) allrounder.

There's also the mten3, but it would be more of a fun wheel and not so much general purpose. As a learner and for fun it's a great wheel though.

Do you have any specific ideas and dreams how you will use the EUC?

• Like 2

The 14D is a great little wheel. You will be severely hampered by its small battery and slow speed, once you've learned to ride.

If the intention is to keep it for others use (family members) than it's a reasonable choice.

Based on your initial comments, you sound like a potential EUC addict (like all of us here). In that case, you will grow tired of the slow speed and short range quickly. Therefore your initial choice to save money up front will cost you more in the long run because you'll soon want to buy a better one. So we often recommend that people skip the inexpensive wheel and go for the best that they can afford even if it takes a bit longer to accumulate the funds. You save money in the long run.

There are riders in your area (Arizona), so you may be able to find used wheels there. For about the same price you could potentially find a 1-year old MSX type wheel.

Food for thought.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

850 just for a learner is a lot of money. You can get a pretty nice used wheel for that kind of money if you're lucky (or a used learner for less). Check out the second hand forum here.

The 14D isn't bad, though, and can work as an (initial) allrounder.

There's also the mten3, but it would be more of a fun wheel and not so much general purpose. As a learner and for fun it's a great wheel though.

Do you have any specific ideas and dreams how you will use the EUC?

Thank you. It would be great to find someone selling their old beat up used wheel locally. Initially I just have casual enjoyment dreams. Maybe taking it on trips on some simple trails.

Edited by Alexander Deforest

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The 14D is a great little wheel. You will be severely hampered by its small battery and slow speed, once you've learned to ride.

If the intention is to keep it for others use (family members) than it's a reasonable choice.

Based on your initial comments, you sound like a potential EUC addict (like all of us here). In that case, you will grow tired of the slow speed and short range quickly. Therefore your initial choice to save money up front will cost you more in the long run because you'll soon want to buy a better one. So we often recommend that people skip the inexpensive wheel and go for the best that they can afford even if it takes a bit longer to accumulate the funds. You save money in the long run.

There are riders in your area (Arizona), so you may be able to find used wheels there. For about the same price you could potentially find a 1-year old MSX type wheel.

Food for thought.

Thanks. It would likely be my wife's or a second wheel after the learning process. Future budgets will determine that.

• Like 1

Wish you were near me, I have a 14D that's about to be replaced with the S18 and I wouldn't mind selling at a discount.  I also have an Mten3.  It sounds like we are of the same mindset because my first wheel was 14D but at the time it was 700 dollars, so it was much cheaper than other options, and that was the major reason for purchasing it.  I got lots of fun out of it, and I still enjoy riding it, I was using it for my work commute wheel for a while (7 miles).  It still took me 2 weeks to learn how to ride it, so I'm not sure if I would have had the same trouble had I started on the Mten3 or a larger wheel.  It took me a long time to grow out of it, personally, because I love how stable it feels and how maneuverable it is in urban environments... honestly I would be happy with it still if I had no other options and I could imagine myself running it to the ground, but the thought of bigger wheels that handle off roading better is too tempting... that's really the big negative factor for me about the 14D's wheel size.  If you envision yourself riding flat pavement or flat dirt roads, then that won't be an issue at all (I have taken my 14D through gravel / dirt trails and it controls just fine as long as it's not -too- offroad). 

The kicker though, is the Mten3 can easily replace almost everything my 14D is, and it's even more maneuverable, though really sketchy on sudden bumps or if the wheel gets going along a pavement crack suddenly.  It requires a lot more taming than the 14D to get a control over, but once you've gotten over that initial bump, I feel like the Mten3 replaces the 14D eventually and pretty much anyone will tell you that an Mten3 is a great wheel to add to anyone's collection no matter what kind of rider you are, cause it's just so small, fun, and portable.  I ride mine in my driveway sometimes when I just feel like I want a small taste of riding for 10 minutes.  I will admit, the lack of a stock trolley handle is a pain in the butt, and you'll really want that trolley handle when you are first learning to ride, which the kingsong14D has.  At least, I found it especially helpful to have that trolley handle when I came up to areas I wasn't really comfortable riding through yet as a new rider.

That's my two cents.  Regardless, whatever wheel you choose, you are going to love the experience of EUC'ing and you'll end up wanting more wheels before you know it!

• Like 3

On 7/24/2020 at 9:02 AM, Alexander Deforest said:

Just found a v5f+ for $350. 

the + is the closest comparison... i rode one for a couple years actually just as a quick short errand runner, its so small and light weight that its great for that... the speed is slightly less at 25 km/h than the 14D and the battery is slightly less, but for that price i would definitely say go for it, its likely going to be beat to hell, and youll very soon find that you want to upgrade unless you spend 1500+ now so i say save your money, use this cheap wheel to learn on and sell/give it away after while looking for something to suit your needs for a long time.... if you were to go with the 14D you would have exactly the same sentiments as the V5F+, neither of them are not useful, but there wouldnt really be a situation in which someone who actually really like riding eucs would be permanently satisfied with just one of those

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 7:02 PM, Alexander Deforest said:

Just found a v5f+ for $350. 

This definitely sounds like a good purchase for you. I agree with @Rywokast and others above. You sure sound like a future addict, investing in a beginner wheel will most likely end up in regret in a matter of weeks, not months.

When buying a second hand EUC, do check that the wheel charges up to it’s maximum voltage (67.2, 84, or 100.8) +- 0.5V. If it doesn’t, the expensive battery pack may be on its last legs.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...