About to order my first ever EUC! Suggestions appreciated

The videos. They got to me. I honestly don't even remember how I got started on them, but every few days I get back on a kick of watching various EUC YouTubers. Since the pandemic started, I've been thinking more and more about getting some kind of fun vehicle to spend more time outside with. At first I looked into motorcycling, but there aren't any places to get certified that aren't closed during the pandemic. So I decided: I'm going with the EUC route.

I have no experience with any electric wheels, no hoverboards, no scooters or anything. So my first wheel is going to be my starter, but I've read in various threads on here that it's not a good idea to buy a cheaper, lower end starter wheel as you'll grow out of it very quickly and will just need to buy a new one. Another factor for me is that price is barely an issue, I can pretty much afford any wheel.

I've been looking at the suspension wheels that are up for pre-order right now, particularly the V11 after watching a few reviews and comparison videos against the S18. But I'm not sure if the suspension wheels are going to be great for a beginner. I'm particularly interested because the area I live in is not known for its smoothly paved roads. I'd like to be able to deal with semi-uneven pavement as smoothly as possible, and the V11 seems great for that. Waiting till the end of August for the pre-order isn't much of a problem for me either. I could use the time to work on my balance/core strength to prep for riding.

If suspension is NOT ideal for a beginner rider for whatever reason, the other wheel I've been looking at after perusing through threads on here is the 18XL. I've seen some of you refer to it as 'indestructible' and that seems like a very good trait for a beginner rider's first wheel lol. My only qualms with the 18XL are the price being the same as the new suspension wheels without that feature, and this is vain of me but: I don't like how... oblong it is. The V11 and the S18 are much slicker looking.

I'm not opposed to looking at other wheels though, if you guys have other suggestions for me. These are just the ones that I am most interested in. Nearly pulled the trigger on the V11 last night before I figured I'd come on here. I also wager the V11/S18 might be easier to sell if EUC's end up being not for me since they'll be in high demand, although I hope that that isn't the case. I love the idea of these things.

Oh yeah: I'm a bigger guy (6'0, 215lb), so I need a wheel that can handle that. Thanks in advance for your advice!

• Like 3

I'd consider these things:

• The V11 is a solid choice as a traditional wheel even if it lacked suspension.
  • None of the early-access reviewers have mentioned any new challenges or unique skills required to ride a suspension wheel.

1 hour ago, musk said:

• The V11 is a solid choice as a traditional wheel even if it lacked suspension.
  • None of the early-access reviewers have mentioned any new challenges or unique skills required to ride a suspension wheel.

Your first point is the reason I'm so drawn to the V11. evX's comparison video of the two suspension wheels' showcase of the V11's motor has me super interested in picking one up.

and thank you for confirming. I didn't hear anything like that in any of the reviews but I had some anxiety that there might be some kind of challenge that was unsaid. I'm gonna wait and see if anyone else has any input but my heart wants that V11...

I guess I do have a few more questions for anyone else that checks out this thread. Do EUC's have a way to cap out their max speed? This would be a handy feature for a beginner, I don't want to over-accelerate and eat asphalt. Maybe it's not something that usually happens... as I've never felt what it's like to ride one, I don't know how easy/hard it would be to accidentally go faster than intended.

Also, to anyone that has experience with the 18XL, this is a very minor feature but are the Bluetooth speakers any good, or are they crap? I can envision myself getting some good use out of those in certain scenarios if they're quality.

EDIT: I just remembered the need to pick up side padding. Will these be good regardless of which wheel I get? I know almost none of the wheels have pads like these built in... https://www.ewheels.com/product/electric-unicycle-powerpads/

Edited by rexdelmolvo

The only argument speaking against the V11 is its quite high weight. The 18XL isn't much lighter, though.

I see no reason for you to buy a suspensionless wheel in a suspension world:efefe00999:

16 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Do EUC's have a way to cap out their max speed?

You can usually set speed beeps or tiltback. You can also use an app and set some speed warnings from your phone.

In general, unless want a specific model or you have specific demands like super high speed (MSP or Sherman) or range (Sherman), it's hard to recommend anything but the V11 to a new rider in this 18'' class of wheels right now. It has a great battery size, good speed, lots of nice features, and of course the suspension.

28 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

I just remembered the need to pick up side padding.

You don't have to pick that up right now (but of course you can). Learn to ride and get used to your new wheel (e.g. the V11 saddle is soft at the top, so there is enough padding) and then you can think about performance-targeted stuff like powerpads, you're in no hurry there:)

Whether these work or model-specific pads are better I can't say.

6 hours ago, rexdelmolvo said:

Do EUC's have a way to cap out their max speed?

Practically every wheel does, and this is typically performed by the wheel tilting the pedals back. Tiltback makes a wheel sufficiently unrideable and essentially "forces" you to slow down voluntarily.

8 hours ago, musk said:

ian from speedy feet mentioned in one of his S18 reviews that in fact being so high above the wheel and/or the ground was a very new sensation and took some getting used to (when not loaded, the pedals of the suspensions wheels are inches higher off the ground, pedals normally sit just barely above the bottom of the motor)... if you can imagine the higher you are, the more exaggerated your influence over the wheel is so i would think turning would feel really weird initially...of course if youre new to eucs this makes no difference to you youll be used to it at the same rate as you would any other new wheel, only once you switch to a traditional wheel and went back and forth would it be weird.. back in the early days when the ninebot one was the hottest wheel in town those pedals were considered a standard height, but since then they have only gotten higher and higher up and to exacerbate this, more angled... when i get back on the ninebot one after not riding it for a while it does feel super strange and i scrape the pedals all the time, however when it was my only wheel, i would almost never scrape the pedals

Edited by Rywokast

• 1 month later...

Wow your write up sounds exactly like me. Not sute how i got onto watching euc videos etc, but I did too. Just ordered the v11 from a shop in Burlington, Ontario an hour ago! No previous experience either, so hopefully this works out lol

41 minutes ago, Dreygun said:

Wow your write up sounds exactly like me. Not sute how i got onto watching euc videos etc, but I did too. Just ordered the v11 from a shop in Burlington, Ontario an hour ago! No previous experience either, so hopefully this works out lol

I should say I actually ended up buying a learner wheel. The more I read about the V11 and the more I thought about learning on 9 inch high pedals, I came to the decision of buying a used MTen3, and it's been so much fun. Learned the most important bits in a little less than 3 hours.

Now after the supposed V11 delays I've got a 16X and a 100v Nik+ on the way to ride while I wait for the V11 pre-order. Kinda went overboard lmao, but I'm gonna sell whichever of the two I like less.

19 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

I should say I actually ended up buying a learner wheel. The more I read about the V11 and the more I thought about learning on 9 inch high pedals, I came to the decision of buying a used MTen3, and it's been so much fun. Learned the most important bits in a little less than 3 hours.

Now after the supposed V11 delays I've got a 16X and a 100v Nik+ on the way to ride while I wait for the V11 pre-order. Kinda went overboard lmao, but I'm gonna sell whichever of the two I like less.

Lol awesome. I kept going over the other wheels in my head till i felt sick but they were so close or even more in price for me so i had to settle :/. Aqesome to hear yourr already learning the curves. I really hope I can cos the group rides looks so fun. I'm curious if it would be okay on the shocks to only pump the shock chambers up for a lighter person so that the foot pads are way lower than they should be, just for learning on them lower to the ground

Too funny, I placed an order for the V11 and mten3 on 7/27. Videos got me too. Ended up cancelling the V11 so I could get some riding in before winter on the 16X which is on the way. I was really having a tough time deciding between the 16X and Nik+. Maybe I should have tried both too, ha. It's tough to pick just one to start with. I kept looking for a learner wheel the last couple weeks but no such luck. Anyway, a new hobby is exciting times! Have fun out there :)

Edited by manieuc

23 minutes ago, manieuc said:

Too funny, I placed an order for the V11 and mten3 on 7/27. Videos got me too. Ended up cancelling the V11 so I could get some riding in before winter on the 16X which is on the way. Kept looking for a learner wheel the last couple weeks but no such luck. Anyway, a new hobby is exciting times! Have fun out there :)

So are you learning first on the MTen3 and then moving up to the 16X? I'm curious to hear about your experience considering it'll be the same as mine! I'm loving my MTen3, but I got the 64v version that can only hit about 15mph for a few seconds at my 212lb (220ish with gear) weight. I'm very excited to try out higher speeds. My 16X comes tomorrow but of course it's gonna be raining ALL DAY :crying:

41 minutes ago, rexdelmolvo said:

So are you learning first on the MTen3 and then moving up to the 16X? I'm curious to hear about your experience considering it'll be the same as mine! I'm loving my MTen3, but I got the 64v version that can only hit about 15mph for a few seconds at my 212lb (220ish with gear) weight. I'm very excited to try out higher speeds. My 16X comes tomorrow but of course it's gonna be raining ALL DAY :crying:

That was my plan but the 84v mten3 was also delayed due to some motor issues apparently so I've just been anxiously waiting for the past month until finally deciding today to go with the 16X with some helpful answers from people on this forum. I should have that pretty soon, ewheels shipped it almost immediately thankfully. I might end up cancelling the mten3 and trying it again next summer since I expect to spend the couple remaining warm months out on the bigger wheel but still deciding. Do you think you'll find uses for it through the winter? I'm a bit envious you know how to ride already but I'm excited to learn!

Edited by manieuc