V8 or used 16S 840wh

I am waiting for the delivery of my new wheel (16X) and I planned on keeping the V8 for my girlfriend. Someone who lives close to me is selling his 16S (3500km) to buy an S18. Since my V8 is still relatively new and in great condition, I could reasonably be able to sell it for 7 or 800 cad$ and the 16S is 1000$. I know there is a risk in buying a used wheel, but for almost no additional money, this would almost double the range of my GF's wheel. If I put aside the unpredictable risks, I see no real downside to this but I read everywhere that no one would buy a 16S in 2020 unless it is for budget reasons. I can't really imagine an interesting deal that she could afford more than this one, and the wheel we want is a V2, which was released in 2019 if I'm not mistaken, so what would make it an "old" model more than a V8F, for example? And why should we care? She is a 54kg rider so the range should be pretty good and I don't think safety would be an issue with the 1200w motor. She could not afford more for now so at least we would be able to go on longer rides until she is able to upgrade. Am I missing something?

I’d go for the 16S, range and power is nice to have. Both are a bit old wheels but « true and tried » or whatever it’s called. V8f is just an improvement, cool that but just 520Wh, and KS generally have better range per Wh.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

3500km is quite a bit.  the risk is not knowing how much life that battery has left. also how much wear is the tire and will that need replacement. to me that 16s for the risk and wear is worth about $500, but im a cheapo.

not sure why you wouldn't sell the v8 and buy a brand new 16s, or better yet, a tesla v2 for a substanitally bigger battery.

• Like 1

I was difficult to convince to buy a bigger wheel because I had a hard time justifying it, but it's just too much fun. She really can't go for the wheel of her dreams right now because she just doesn't have the means. This is why we are trying to get the best price/range ratio. I agree that a Tesla V2 would have been awesome for her.

500usd translates to 680cad, which is about a third of the price of a brand new 16S (2130 cad tax in). Is that what you meant? If we were to buy a brand new wheel, it sure would not be a 16S, but every model that is more interesting is also more expensive... Maybe it would be a good idea to negotiate a bit more based on the probable wear on the tire and the battery. 

I’m not sure if the $1000 16S is a stellar deal enough to take the risks. Sure the 16S is much more solid in the riding feel than the V8, but... what does your gf think? Does she want a bigger wheel with more range and less comfortable mounting?

The 16S will easily do that ranger with her weight, I get 50-60km out of mine and I weight 70kg. 1000$ is a bit on the expensive side though, as it can be had for 1200$ new. Or second hand 750€ from Germany, probably some other cases around 700€.

Edited by null

On 7/8/2020 at 10:42 AM, someguy152 said:

i see 16s wheels with way less mileage than 3500km on ebay for around $700 usd in the US...not sure how much that price will cost when factoring shipping but it's worth constantly looking

I don't think buy a used 16s is worthy, I sorry about that I'm not sure your situation. But as for me, I will spend $1000usd for a new one 16s(680Wh). The used euc, no one can guarantee the safety. 

To avoid confusion, the price is 700 in us dollars.

3 hours ago, Unicycle Freedom said:

The used euc, no one can guarantee the safety. 

But then no one would ever buy a used EUC?

On 7/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, mrelwood said:

I’m not sure if the $1000 16S is a stellar deal enough to take the risks. Sure the 16S is much more solid in the riding feel than the V8, but... what does your gf think? Does she want a bigger wheel with more range and less comfortable mounting?

We try to rationalise by saying that the V8 can still mean 2 hours of riding a day for her but I don't know how she'll feel about this when we start exploring around.

How much risk can there be that can't be fixed? A cut-off can happen for multiple reasons on both old and new wheels and at least, we can say that a used wheel has been seriously tested.

The only thing that worries me a bit more is the battery but it is the same problem for every used EUC. The only protection against this is if I ask the seller if he ever did something that absolutely must not be done to a battery, and hope he's honest?

$700 USD does sound better, but I don’t know how the markets are there.

If the battery charges up to 67.2V (+- 0.5V), it should be at least relatively ok.

• Like 2