Advice For Clearing jammed Debris in M-Super Inner Case

gon2fast

Long story short, I was riding over some wood chippings earlier this afternoon and had a piece of debris get stuck in the inner shell of my MSP. I tried to ride it out, rotate body while wheel is off and deflated the tire to get the debris to clear with no luck. When the tire is deflated there is no rubbing/sound... Any ideas short of cracking the shell?

Just tried that before posting (but did not work)! I can see the the debris, it appears to be a section of a branch. it is wedged on the upper lip of the inner shell so I am going to have to find a long screwdriver or something to un-lodge it

Debris is finally out... what a chit show. Does the standard MSX inner shell have the "lip" near the top of the inner case? Seems like a major design flaw as my ride was brought to halt and I had to drag a 55lb wheel a half of a mile back to the car (i know, could have been a far greater distance, lol).

Here is a horrible shot of the branch wedged on the upper lip of the inner shell. There is not a lot room for light, tool and hands so please excuse the image quality.

Debris lodge1.jpeg

Edited by gon2fast
can't post next picture, no need for description.

Took the MSP out for a quick ride and all seems normal. Now to address my faulty "anti-slip" tire (I have washed out turning in loose dirt several times already), but that is for another thread.

BTW - Thanks for the advice meepmeepmayer! 

11 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Debris is finally out... what a chit show. Does the standard MSX inner shell have the "lip" near the top of the inner case?

I just had a good look at my upside down MSX with a bright torch. I assume the pic you showed is the front of the wheel? Yes, mine is the same. The edge is made by the top of the battery holder recesses in the case. And yes, I have to say it would be better if this edge was met by the inner arch and blanked it off. That said, I think you were pretty unlucky. I have only had 3 occasions where twigs etc have been caught but they have always come out with a bit of forward/back motion or with a bit of poking by another nearby handy stick! That branch you had stuck was a monster, and I appreciate that it must have been a right pain to get out.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 3:26 AM, Planemo said:

I just had a good look at my upside down MSX with a bright torch. I assume the pic you showed is the front of the wheel? Yes, mine is the same. The edge is made by the top of the battery holder recesses in the case. And yes, I have to say it would be better if this edge was met by the inner arch and blanked it off. That said, I think you were pretty unlucky. I have only had 3 occasions where twigs etc have been caught but they have always come out with a bit of forward/back motion or with a bit of poking by another nearby handy stick! That branch you had stuck was a monster, and I appreciate that it must have been a right pain to get out.

Thank you for confirming the design. I am glad it worked out as I was feeling very nervous blindly stabbing the inner shell of my brand new wheel with a long screwdriver.