Inmotion V8 with steroids

lucian75

1st full test with new battery..

75 km with my V8 70 kg,22-23 km/h usual speed.

Original battery i was riding 45 km even after 5000 km it was like new one.

Screenshot_20200616-131104.thumb.png.e5c4c3a510509584b480a6aa9f1c77ef.png

Screenshot_20200617-022039.png

Next uppgrade will be V10 mainboard..and for just small price i will have V10 wheel with about 10 kg less.

Edited by lucian75
  • Like 2

Looking good! I did a simila mod with MH1 cells. I didn't get anywhere close to 70km but a good 50km was possible on a good day.

That's an interesting idea to use a V10 control board. Do you really think the V8 motor can handle that power? If you get any benefit at all I'd be curious to know.

Careful to overspeed on a weak motor. Always stay 15-20km/h below the pickup max speed.

7 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Looking good! I did a simila mod with MH1 cells. I didn't get anywhere close to 70km but a good 50km was possible on a good day.

That's an interesting idea to use a V10 control board. Do you really think the V8 motor can handle that power? If you get any benefit at all I'd be curious to know.

Careful to overspeed on a weak motor. Always stay 15-20km/h below the pickup max speed.

i was gonna say.... they are not meant to be compatible lol... although i wonder if you could swap the motor as well to actually make it a v10 :cheers:

Well done Lucian! Have you measured the single Voltage level of the cells of the old battery pack? Were there big differences after using it for such a long time? I am asking because there is a discussion in the Inmotion WhatsApp Group running  if the Inmotion BMS incudes balancing or not. I can´t believe IM doesn´t use balancing BMS and think it is a rumor...

many greetings

Manuel

Ok,i will try to answer all questions..

Original pack have LG 3200 cells..after 5000 km it was the same like new,i was riding 45 km .

I change original LG cells with ks16x cells wich appear that aren't LG or another known brand cells as i wanted to use original LG cells for another big battery project.

My friend was riding 33 km with original pack at 90 kg..and he get 55 km with new modded pack and about 8% left.

The only concern was battery pack BMS ..If he can handle such power consumption ..and BMS have 30A fuse wich means more than 2000W wich is perfect. What i expect from new confuguration is that my old V8 have V10 battery pack,i can ride 35 km/h,maybe 40 km/h sometimes.. wich means that V8F is useless..he have only 40Wh more than V8 and 200W nominal motor power wich is bullshit..40Wh means that they use 3500 cells  instead 3200 from old V8.

IMG-20200616-WA0062.jpg

Edited by lucian75

You know that the extra weight of the v10 probably is in the copper coils in the motor to get the higher power rating. And twice the battery size.

How are you going to fit a v10 battery in a v8 shell?

V10 uses chinese 2800mAh cells and V10F LG MH1 3200mAh cells (same as V8).

Edited by alcatraz

You don't understand..i already have custom battery 700 Wh wich is the same like V10.

V8 have 30 km/h limit from firmware,V8F have 35 km/h limit with exactly the same mainboard..with V10 mainboard i can ride with 35 km/h without to get warning and tiltback like V8F do.

V8 motor have enough power to ride with 40 km/h but its limited by Inmotion only by comercial interest..because have limited  battery its limited to have reasonable 45-50 km autonomy.

Edited by lucian75

On 6/16/2020 at 3:08 AM, lucian75 said:

V8 with 20 more cells..from 6.4 Ah to almost 10 Ah wich means about 50% more juice power..or almost the same like big brother V10

IMG-20200609-WA0000_copy_400x194.jpg

I count 18 groups of 3 cells, which is 54 cells total. Where have you hidden the other 6 cells?

When I did my mod I found it extremely tight fit to have cells grouped in triangular arrangement and I had to separate a few groups into different arrangements to make them fit. There isn't a lot of space in there. I even had to shave some plastic from the case as there is some overhang that makes it difficult to get the pack in.

I also read somewhere that the V8 and V10 controller are the same (only firmware may be different).

Edited by Nic

Exactly,we cut a bit from side Shell..i don't know exactly configuration but this one its the 2nd batch and he improved the skill.its enough space,he taped one more time to don't be to loose but now i find it a bit hard to take it out.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:19 PM, Fahrtwind said:

Well done Lucian! Have you measured the single Voltage level of the cells of the old battery pack? Were there big differences after using it for such a long time? I am asking because there is a discussion in the Inmotion WhatsApp Group running  if the Inmotion BMS incudes balancing or not. I can´t believe IM doesn´t use balancing BMS and think it is a rumor...

many greetings

Manuel

About battery use and charging...let me be frank

All the time i charge all my batterys untill 100%..not 99%,not 90% or another value..all the time when i recharge in the night he stay plugged many hours after charging is complete..charger is green and he wont charge anymore no matter what some people say.

Many many times i ride battery untill is full empty..no matter is unicycle or electric bicycle..i don't stop to 20% or 10%..when i need i ride untill he stop and i cant ride it anymore..and the same,i don't see any problem..this V8 have 5000 km and still i was able to ride 45 km with original battery..

You people need to know something,BMS has feature to stop the power to a Voltage that is safe to don't brokeli ion cells.. and another big point,li ion battery will not broke 100%.. it will start with 1-2 cells wich will not working in normal condition..If You can monitor these cells and You will change them soon..You will use the battery long long time in good condition..

If You don't know that 1 cell its broken and he don't balance ..BMS  will take many A from other cells to balance that bad cell..sometimes he rise to 10-20 A consume..and that cell it will get hot..very hot.

Other near cells will get hot also but still în safe temperature..but will not be good for theyr health..If You don't do something,that cell will get worst in time..and when he will get critical temperature it will be in fire danger.

One wrong think about li ion battery is that they will explode...no,li ion fire is like rocket or jet engine..lithium and pressure will make a fire like a rocket fire..and you cant stop it in normal mode like water or even powder of extinguisher.why?

Because the cell wich get fired its inside of a protected pack ...and that celll its in the middle of other cells..the source of fire is very very inflamable and pressure..You cant trow the puddle exactly in the point of the source of power..You cover the pack with puddle but inside the pack the fire will be on untill lithium will be finished..

So when You have a battery fired i think its not the Best  to try first to extinguish the fire..the Best way its to isolated only..try to take out from closed perimeter everything that can get fired..because If one cell get fired You cant stop it very fast before other cells get fired also..

My thoughts will be to cover the pack with metal box..to try to stop oxygen..im not expert,normal no oxygen will stop the fire but someone told me thag because of lithium chemical reaction will generate oxygen..so the fire can continue even If i will try to leave the container without oxygen..

Like i Say,i'm not expert..If someone it is let me tell If i Say something wrong.

But over the years i recharge many many li ion packs,original or home made..last 2 years i was charging 2-3 packs every single night because i'm courier and i was working all day with my electric vehicles.. unicycle,electric bicycle or custom electric chopper motorcycle.

received_364422477586382_copy_1000x750.jpeg

received_888577278176333_copy_748x1000.jpeg

received_746962632406510_copy_748x1000.jpeg

received_360028834667318_copy_1000x750.jpeg

received_290402382126576_copy_756x1008.jpeg

received_569868037292403_copy_756x1008.jpeg

The chopper and blue cruiser bike was stolen last year..and last week was stolen my last loved custom electric chopper wich i was working to make it electric also..48 V 1000W brushed that i don't have what to do anymore..for the moment at least.

Unfortunetly i live in a fucking stupid country.

received_3010749969018196_copy_1008x756.jpeg

Edited by lucian75
  • Like 2

v8 can be unlocked to 35kph via darkness bot IOS app - I don't know that this is safe given that motor power remains the same even with your steroid batt pack. If running above 30 kph less spare power for correction (bumps,etc) and imo greater risk of fall due to insufficient motor reserve. But your custom work is  amazing and thank you for pushing v8 to its limits. For battery meltdown - some good footage of speed and force of rapid energy conversion:

and another for EUC ( was posted in another thread )

https://www.newsflare.com/video/359270/man-breaks-leg-after-jumping-from-electric-unicycle-that-burst-into-flames-in-new-jersey

9 hours ago, amelanso said:

v8 can be unlocked to 35kph via darkness bot IOS app - I don't know that this is safe given that motor power remains the same even with your steroid batt pack. If running above 30 kph less spare power for correction (bumps,etc) and imo greater risk of fall due to insufficient motor reserve. But your custom work is  amazing and thank you for pushing v8 to its limits. For battery meltdown - some good footage of speed and force of rapid energy conversion:

and another for EUC ( was posted in another thread )

https://www.newsflare.com/video/359270/man-breaks-leg-after-jumping-from-electric-unicycle-that-burst-into-flames-in-new-jersey

So what about these videos?

All of us we remember about Challenger fail? So what,we stop going forward?  Shit happen ...sometimes

someone mentioned abt how batts explode in this thread - not  a comment to suggest anything - just video showing in real time. for entertainment purposes... as i  said u r doing great mods!