Anatomy of a Crash

AngryJackPCB

So I just crashed today going 24 Mph but I was wearing almost enough safety gear. I was 17.5 miles into my ride and maybe 5 minutes from home when it happened. The wind speed had increased significantly but coming straight at me. I was in tbe middle of al 10ft wide paved path when all of a sudden the wind direction changed to a cross wind at 270 degrees. It pushed me toward the right edge of the path where a large ditch was filled with water for the resent storms.

I attempted to correct by steering left, and leaning more to the left, and breaking, but I encountered speed wobbles as I was slowing down still headed for the ditch. I made the decision I was going to either dump my wheel or go into the ditch. At the last minute I almost made it to the other side of the trail toward a soft, muddy patch of grass. I landed half on, half off the trail. Then I saw the wheel come flying at my head. It hit me full force. If I wasn't wearing any gear, I would have been still lying on the trail or in the back of an ambulance.

I will be changing my elbow pads to something more like my Tripple 8 knee pads and wrist guards. I may also add some kind of protection for my hips. Im left with a pretty good road rash on my right hip.

Be careful riding before a storm or in changing winds. I this case, the wind shifted as I crossed from a sheltered section of the trail to a wide open field next to the path slowing the wind to change direction.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AngryJackPCB said:

Be careful riding before a storm or in changing winds. I this case, the wind shifted as I crossed from a sheltered section of the trail to a wide open field next to the path slowing the wind to change direction.

It's like sailing.  You need to be sensitive to wind shifts.  You can feel the shift on your face. 

Lean into the wind as if you were going up a steep hill. In the desert I've experienced winds that I could barely make headway against.  Then there's wind lulls.  You're leaning into the wind and it suddenly drops.

Bruce

• Like 2