KS18XL versions?

mike_bike_kite

I've been idly looking at the different versions of the KS18XL but wanted to know the difference between the different versions. The earlier ones had the 2000W motor and now it's upped to a 2200W motor. There's been a change to the handle as well. I'm guessing it's just firmware that's made the new version silent. Is there  a difference in speed or range or acceleration or braking? Has the body changed over the versions? Is one more reliable than another? Was there a 1st edition version to avoid? Can you even tell them apart visually?

Changes that I remember

• Better position on the front light, pointed more down 
  • New mud guard design
  • New stronger trolley handle with new mechanism for lift sensor
  • New motor
  • New white inner shell, stronger material and design
  • New stock tire
  • Several new firmwares, made more responsive, silent and now gyro angle setting. 

I don’t know any visual differences except looking up the wheel well and see if it’s white or black. If you see the old scrotum style mud guard, it’s very early model. I think white is only L version, not XL. White might not be available anymore. 

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UniVehje said:
  • New white inner shell, stronger material and design

Id argue its just a stronger material. The design is the same; Trash. 

11 hours ago, seage said:

Id argue its just a stronger material. The design is the same; Trash. 

Here’s a source for  this issue of changed design in some small, but important, details around the weakest spots.

https://translate.google.fi/translate?hl=fi&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2019%2F07%2F22%2Fkingsong-ks-18l-spisok-izmeneniy%2F&prev=search

Edited by UniVehje

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion. However, I think you are just bashing without having anything to back your argument. 

Here’s a source for you to research this issue of changed design in some small, but important, details around the weakest spots.

https://translate.google.fi/translate?hl=fi&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fecodrift.ru%2F2019%2F07%2F22%2Fkingsong-ks-18l-spisok-izmeneniy%2F&prev=search

I mean, owning the wheel and fixing it isn't really not having anything to back my argument. I just didn't state anything to back my argument. I didn't make clear what i was talking about at all.

My old shell broke, so i replaced it with the white, which is holding up, but its beginning to loosen up. And i did see that the plastic was thicker and that they'd fixed the screw situation, but the main/major thing for me was, the area that connects the body to the pedal arms was not reinforced. Like a ribbing or something, which I thought they might do with the newer shells they began to put out. 

While not perfect, the way the shell connects to the hangers on the 16x is much stronger, and even the 18s, probably because it was built to be sat on. I know none of these are perfect, but when taking the shell apart i was pretty surprised by how much confidence was put in that one area on the 18XL. 

Obviously the other observations are correct about the other areas that were fixed, i wont argue that. I just wasnt happy that, even though they were promoting the 3rd party seat, the frame was and still is, even with the white shell, in no way strong enough to support someone with confidence. Even some sellers were warning against getting it. And if you're apart of the russian telegram group for the KS18L/XL they talk about it there. I asked if there was any way to reinforce my shell to allow for sitting and they had many jokes about enjoying a snapped inner shell in 10km, but the ultimately the answer was no.'

I probably should have started with this. I'm not a kingsong hater. I still love my wheel, but this part annoyed me because otherwise its a "perfect" wheel

• Like 1

this is happening when you are an early-buyer !
(and this is true for anything that you could buy and its complex)
couple months should pass until "finished and polished" product it's available on the market

Who it's crazy enough to buy a 16X now...speeding with it over 40kmh ?

3 hours ago, seage said:

I mean, owning the wheel and fixing it isn't really not having anything to back my argument. I just didn't state anything to back my argument. I didn't make clear what i was talking about at all.

My old shell broke, so i replaced it with the white, which is holding up, but its beginning to loosen up. And i did see that the plastic was thicker and that they'd fixed the screw situation, but the main/major thing for me was, the area that connects the body to the pedal arms was not reinforced. Like a ribbing or something, which I thought they might do with the newer shells they began to put out. 

Thanks for clarification and sorry about my tone earlier. 

The topic is about the changes they made. So they did change it to better but I agree the ideal design would be much stronger. 

• Like 1

So did these changes all come about with the new 2200W version or did some appear on the 2000W version?

I'm just trying to work out if there's any real difference between the 2000W version and the following 2200W version. Especially if I put the later firmware on the earlier wheel. I was looking for a fairly rugged wheel with a longer range that I can easily wheel into coffee shops  etc. I recently tried an 18XL and tbh it felt quite cumbersome to my 16S but that was probably me not using it right. There was certainly no disputing that it was faster, had way more range and handled rougher ground easier. I don't think I'd ever use a seat so I don't think that aspect would be a problem to me. 

10 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

So did these changes all come about with the new 2200W version or did some appear on the 2000W version?

Most changes were done on the 2000 W version late last summer. Some were done even earlier. I think when the 2200 W motor was changed that was the only thing. If you get a 2000W version built after august 2019 it should be exactly the same as the 2200W version other than the motor. 

10 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I recently tried an 18XL and tbh it felt quite cumbersome to my 16S but that was probably me not using it right.

Yeah, you just need to get used to it. I recently tried a 16S again and it felt too small and wrong. 

7 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Thanks for clarification and sorry about my tone earlier. 

The topic is about the changes they made. So they did change it to better but I agree the ideal design would be much stronger. 

Its fair. I came in with a strong opinion with nothing to explain why i said so, so you were in the right to call me out. You were correct in that it HAS been improved. I was just salty over the one area that i wished had been focused on the most. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alvaro Gonzalez said:

I’m looking to purchase a KS 18 XL with a 2200 W motor   I’m worried the weight might be a concern with a different motor make a big difference in price

not quite sure what youre referring to here.... but the weight of all versions of the XL is the same

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Singasong said:

There are two versions of the 18xl control board, 1.3 and 1.6. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? My 18xl control board needs replacing, it's v1.6, will a v1.3 work as well?

i believe the new boards would be for the new 2200W ones that come with the 2.XX FW baked in along with of course a couple other minor changes... a v1.3 should be able to replace it no problem since it can get any FW, but i would be wary of going from having a 2000W 18XL with the 1.3 board and replacing it with a 1.6 since im not 100% sure the old motor would be compatible, but the way you want to do it should be no problem at all since even first batch 18XL's can swap out for the new motor and upgrade their FW to 2.XX... KS unlike GW rarely changes things up that much like changing the shape of boards or splitting them and swapping the placing of components etc so i wouldnt worry too much about it i would bet money that they could be interchanged no problem

• Like 2