How BMS Works (Gotway pack teardown)

@RagingGrandpa realized now that this should be like this, my mistake :

• old gen pack:
    • xt60 for discharge
    • xt30 for charge
    • black 4 wires connector for BMS talking ( 2 black 2 red )
  • new gen pack
    • mt60 connector, discharge plus the white 3rd cable (charging negative)
    • black 4 wires connector for BMS talking with only 1 RED cable (on the outside of the connector)
Edited by EMA
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok yea I was away for awhile and was sort of dumb acting but basically was trying to figure out how to get the three pin connector to adapt to the other style two pin since I bought these two from alien rides ..a Nicola and a rs high speed without  batteries and wanted to use my exn or an extreme bull commanders batteries that have the two pin into the three pin of the newer nikola and the rs. Thanks though I am going to try and figure it out but have to obviously do a splice of some sort. I just have to know exactly what wire is what . I have to carefully study it again. 

• Thanks 1

I guess the white 3rd cable (charging negative) would have to be moved. And but where would it go if was to be made a two plug connector? Does the new generation actually just charge through the discharge terminal. ? It seems it must since is no xt30 for charging. Is just the white third cable charging negative. Obviously it won’t be charging while it is discharging. Basically I would have to disable white 3rd cable and hook it to the other xt 30 old generation . And ok I just need to review it again. I could solder a new mt60 and have a hybrid setup where could do an old generation or a new and be able to plug and play. So I would have to do a redesigned charging that incorporated the old gen xt30 charging plug into the newer mt60 that appears to be using the same discharge positive to charge. Yea sorry for being so dumb but what would be the exact plan to do this? Should I just add a custom mt60 that transformes into a txt60 two plug? What would be the ideal way to pull it off ?

17 hours ago, Mark Frey said:

rs high speed without batteries
wanted to use my exn batteries that have the two pin, into the three pin of the newer rs

But can't you just take your whole EXN battery harness and move it to the RS? 

(I realize the connectors for the 3rd pack in the EXN won't be used, because RS only has room for two packs, but just cut off that third leg or tape it over and leave it unused.)

Edited by RagingGrandpa

I guess but I thought it had the two pin connectors and not the tri the newer version rs has that I got from alien ride. I bought it for 1000 without a battery. I was going to use the extreme bull commander batteries but they have the two pin connectors .  I will check again.  I wanted to use the three battery packs from the exn to put into the Nicola that had room for three packs. The Nicola I also got from alien rides has the mt 60 three pin as  does the rs. I think the exn also has the ex 60 2 pin . Am aware I have to make sure the batteries are same charge. And matching each others charge. I was also wanting to just use the bull commanders four packs and putting two in the rs and two in the Nicola since is not necessary to have three battery’s at times. Basically I wanted to just be able to connect the two pin ex 60 into the three pin mt60 in both the nic and the rs. So it must be true the newer way they charge is to have it charge into the same mt60 used as the discharge? I know this is sounding confusing but am sort of nervous about doing it if am not totally sure what am doing. But I do think the exn is a old version ex60 2 pin . I will check it out again . So anyway the third negative ground of mt60 tri  pin would go ? Would it go to the old version ex30 negative charging terminal and the positive just going to the positive discharge of the mt60. ? Tri pin? Yea I know this is sounding really complicated. I am assuming the newer version is using the same positive discharge for charging also. 

• Thanks 1

So obviously I would have to cut the wires and reattach or solder them or desolder the connectors. Or I could possibly just add another plug in that would be inserted as an adaptor to allow for either and that way could use the batteries for all the wheels off and on. Hopefully the wires are color coded and anyway I have to check it all out closer and see.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I added a picture of the Gotway MCM5 v2 BMS (2022 version) here, along with a description of my troubleshooting and issues with the BMS.  This is for the small battery, but I imagine the other battery's BMS looks similar.  I will post a picture of the other batteries BMS, when I get around to opening that one up after some parts come.

mn06SMo.jpeg

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(img url)

• 1 month later...

And for posterity: 

Leaperkim / Veteran Patton 126V BMS below

• Traditional, resistive top-balancing
  • OV/OC shutoff is built-in to each pack pair
  • Recharging is "through the output" (no separate charging connection)
  • No cell temperature probes
  • No alarm beeper

https://ecodrift.ru/2023/04/10/veteran-patton-razbiraem/

razbiraem-monokoleso-veteran-patton-128.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 24/2/2023 at 0:38, Mark Frey said:

Supongo, pero pensé que tenía los conectores de dos clavijas y no el tri que tiene la versión más nueva rs que obtuve de Alien Ride. Lo compré por 1000 sin batería. Iba a usar las baterías extreme bull Commander pero tienen conectores de dos clavijas. Revisaré nuevamente. Quería usar los tres paquetes de baterías del exn para colocarlos en el Nicola que tenía espacio para tres paquetes. La Nicola que también obtuve de Alien Rides tiene el mt 60 de tres pines al igual que el rs. Creo que el exn también tiene el ex 60 de 2 pines. Soy consciente de que tengo que asegurarme de que las baterías tengan la misma carga. Y igualar la carga de cada uno. También quería usar los cuatro paquetes de Bull Commander y poner dos en las rs y dos en Nicola, ya que a veces no es necesario tener tres baterías. Básicamente, quería poder conectar los dos pines ex 60 al mt60 de tres pines tanto en el nic como en el rs. Entonces, ¿debe ser cierto que la nueva forma en que cargan es cargarlo en el mismo mt60 usado como descarga? Sé que esto suena confuso, pero estoy un poco nervioso por hacerlo si no estoy totalmente seguro de lo que estoy haciendo. Pero creo que el exn es una versión antigua ex60 de 2 pines. Lo comprobaré de nuevo. Entonces, de todos modos, ¿iría la tercera tierra negativa del triple pin mt60? ¿Iría al terminal de carga negativo ex30 de la versión anterior y el positivo simplemente iría a la descarga positiva del mt60? ? ¿Tripin? Sí, sé que esto suena muy complicado. Supongo que la versión más nueva también utiliza la misma descarga positiva para cargar. 

I am in a similar situation, and I am interested in how you are solving it, I have a first gen RS, xt60 2 pin, and I recently acquired a third pack of 900wh Samsung 50e, I assume because of the mt60 triangle connector it is from an exn, my goal is to be able add this package and raise the RS to 2700wh, I hope to be able to do it, I will follow the thread closely, thank you, keep inspiring🤜🤛✌️

@Andres F the 3-pin vs 2-pin situation is rather simple... the white wire is C-, which came out from the older packs too but went to an XT30.

On 1/4/2023 at 6:06 AM, EMA said:
  • old gen pack:
    • xt60 for discharge
    • xt30 for charge
    • black 4 wires connector for BMS talking ( 2 black 2 red )
  • new gen pack
    • mt60 connector, discharge plus the white 3rd cable (charging negative)
    • black 4 wires connector for BMS talking with only 1 RED cable (on the outside of the connector)

Old-style 900wh pack:
ABLVV840uPH7XS25bewG3bBnJpcuDi9NxHEP3ejo

Newest 900wh pack
Monokoleso-Begode-New-RS-HT-53.jpg

I do not know if the charge-stop connection from old packs and new packs are compatible- if you try it, be sure to test it.
If you don't know what the charge-stop connection is after reading this thread, don't proceed. Housefires are unbelievably expensive.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  1. That is the black wire so the red wire is not used anymore because is part of the B+ discharge.  But why is no wire going to to the C+?.  So I just forget about the red charge since is connected to discharge B+. I need to take out the motherboard of newer version and look 

Charge stop is totally different and the new version also has this P-  that the old version doesn't have. Old version has the two small black and two red that must be the old version charge stop and balancing between packs