Mounting bags / storage on an EUC (case 18XL)

UniVehje

I'm trying to figure out a way to carry some of the heavier items (like rapid charger, tools) on my wheel (18XL or V11) during long trips. I already will have a heavy backpack on me and it would be nice to have some of the load directly on the wheel. 

The inspiration comes from Monsieur Flex and his world tour setup (pictured below). I have a seat coming but I'm experimenting in other options. And even the seat mounting is not clear to me yet. 

Anybody have done something like this already? Any ideas to experiment with? Ideally I'd just 3D print a mounting bracket and screw it in. There are plenty of options for e.g. bike handlebar bags etc. 

Gwbgqov.jpg

yELdZps.jpg

• Like 3

I thought about how to make "saddle bags" for my wheel before, and the solution I came up with was to sew molle webbing onto the wheel's fabric cover (came with my v8). This allows you to attach any size and shape of military pouches which are made to attach to molle.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Seba said:

Actually, it's better not to carry heavier items attached to your wheel. This will significantly degrade wheel deceleration and may promote wobbling. Until you're not going for a tour around the world, it's best to keep heavier things in backpack, and use EUC to carry things that are large in volume, but light (like sleeping bag etc.). As I am too old and lazy to sleep in a tent, I always choose hotels and other accommodation where there is a bed and bedding. Thanks to that I don't have to carry a tent and sleeping bag. After all, sleeping is also opportunity to charge the battery, so wall plug is a valuable thing that may be difficult to find in a tent :P So in my backpack I have a quick charger, a set of underwear for three days (which I wash on a regular basis before going to bed), additional clothing, rain/wind pants and jacket, first aid kit, wheel repair kit, hygiene bag and other stuff that is not needed to be readily available during a ride. I also have a bag on my stomach where I have a power bank, a meal to eat while driving, water, a wallet, pepper spray for dogs and other little things that are needed while riding. General rule is to limit stuff you have to take with you.

This is my proven setup for multi day tours:

IMG_20190628_181907552_HDR.thumb.jpg.c81f017ff7a4e570bc8747236ead53b5.jpg

Thanks for the tip and good info. You are probably right about keeping the wheel free. I was going to test the ride soon with some prototype bags. It's still an interesting thought having something attached to the wheel also. 

I'm preparing for a two week and 1200 km trip this summer. Pretty much following your example and advice. :cheers:

1 hour ago, h3X said:

I thought about how to make "saddle bags" for my wheel before, and the solution I came up with was to sew molle webbing onto the wheel's fabric cover (came with my v8). This allows you to attach any size and shape of military pouches which are made to attach to molle.

Goode idea using the cover!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seba said:

You can consider moving some of your clothes to a waterproof bag, attached to the top of the whee

That should make the seat extra comfy too :)

BTW, it was @Unventor who commented to me that EUC bodyguards can now be fitted with MOLLE attachments 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, h3X said:

How do you charge your wheels on these long trips?

For me it’s 5A fast charger and during lunch or coffee breaks. So far nobody’s denied charging when I’ve asked politely as a customer. 

BTW @h3X I noticed you have a V8. My girlfriend just did a 70 km day trip using a V8. Needed two charging breaks. 

Edited by UniVehje
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, h3X said:

How do you charge your wheels on these long trips?

I'm using current-regulated fast charger that is capable of charging with currents up to 10 A. However, I try not to exceed 9 A and this is specific to KS-18XL. Every wheel has its own charging current limit that should not be exceeded. Charging with 9 A means that every hour adds 650 Wh of charge (average value for a 84 V wheel). This equals to about 35 km of additional range.

• Like 3