Ninebot One E+ No longer Charges

fearedbliss

Hello folks,

So about two days ago I road my unicycle from my parent's house to my apartment (which is 3 miles away) from a 100% battery. When I got home,the battery was at 97%. I pursue to connect it to the charger and notice the the charger light doesn't turn red.. this was weird because the charger would charge the bot even if I turn it on and ride it for one minute. I thought maybe there is some weird exception going on and due to the colder weather (50F/10C - which I've ridden in before and never had this problem) here in NY, or maybe because I just wrote it 3 miles and it's still at a really high percent, that that was the reason it wouldn't charge. So today I took it to work and road it around later in the evening so that I could lower the battery and try again. I got back home and the battery was at 50%. I connect it to the charger again, and nothing. Still doesn't charge. At this point I knew something was definitely wrong, however, I didn't know if it was the Ninebot One E+ connector itself, or if it was the charger connector that was the issue. 

I went ahead and started to take pictures of the bot and the bot's firmware on my phone and then went ahead and opened the battery compartment and mobo compartment to see if I can see any signs that would let me know why this is happening. So this is what I found..

Dwz36Z1.jpgfl20oI9.jpgZCCihLi.jpg

The following picture is actually a cable that isn't damaged but the cover is tearing apart. The cable is not on the battery side, but rather on the Ninebot side.

5E0MIXg.jpg

Video below:

https://vid.me/Z1K8

I'm not sure how this cable was cut like that since it was always protected inside of the case. However, when I did open the ninebot today, I noticed that the battery wasn't "glued" to the wall of the bot. So what I'm thinking that happened is that since it wasn't glued/secure/or the glue worse off since there is no stickiness anywhere on the battery, normal usage of the ninebot going through roads, bumps, etc would mean that the battery is jumping around the case unsecure, and that means that gravity would continuously stretch the cable until it snapped. Good thing that it wasn't the cables that actually powered the bot during operation that broke.. that would have been really bad if I was in the middle of the street and the main power cable to the battery snapped off.

So for Ninebot users out there, I would encourage you to check your battery compartment and make sure your ninebot battery is fully secured. If anything, I would suggest adding some extra padding to the bottom, sides, and top and the left face the leans the battery's side with the side calf padding so that you can minimize or eliminate the movement of the battery during operation and avoid this issue.

Could also be that the cables have been pinched between the plastic covers somewhere and then the moving battery has slowly caused the charge-port wire to finally snap entirely. I had problems when closing up my Firewheel with the cables getting between the shell-halves (yeah, it's a bitch to work with due to all the compartments being inside the shells and tight spaces)... didn't cut any cables but the protective sheathing got pierced in a couple of places, just taped them up with electricians tape :P

In both the units I've opened up (and all I've seen in video's etc.) the battery isn't attached inside the pad, but just loose.

There is double-sided foam tape on the battery itself but the backing is left on.  I agree, maybe a little more foam to cushion the unit a little more may help if going up and down bumps rather than sticking to a smooth ride but too much cushioning might restrict air movement and lead to overheating possibly?  Also makes switching out batteries harder if glued into position.

Definitely going to take a closer look at my cables / routing etc. next time I take the pads of my units.

HI all,

As I said in a different post related to shut off's - I open up my NB1 every Friday night and check the cables are plugged in securely and/or haven't moved to a section of the shell which could cause them to be damaged/cut.  It's a serious thing if power suddenly stops and the net result is generally quite painful!  IMHO... it's worth a 15 mins weekly check on a Friday night with a beer after work.

BTW I ended up sticking my battery on using the sticky pads provided.  I did this about 2 months ago and have taken my Ninebot apart entirely about 3 times since and had the battery out maybe a total of 8 -10 times and it always just sticks back in place no problem.  I have had no problems with squeaking noises (as reported by Ian at Speedyfeet) and the battery is secure and doesn't bounce around inside whilst going over bumps :-)  I have not used foam padding but will do if I find the battery comes unstuck over time but just underneath as the stickiness would still prevent it from moving side to side.

I was speaking to @vido today and he mentioned that speedyfeet has mentioned in his videos that the batteries have adhesive but Ninebot doesn't actually take off the adhesive sticker off to actually apply it to the bot before shipping because the fit is usually "snuggly". In one aspect this is good since it allows one to quickly swap batteries. However as you can already see, it is bad in other ways.. as long as one secures it though with some other non-adhesive type of holder, it should be ok. I checked my battery today and noticed this is indeed true, there are 5 adhesives (3 in on side, and 2 on another) but all the labels are on them still which is why I didn't feel the stickiness when I wrote my original post.

Since my battery is at 50%, I decided to use some electrical tape to hold the contact of the cable while it charges in a stationary position. I will be charging it for about 2 hours before I go to sleep in a bit and then I will disconnect it. I don't want to leave a loose connection connected over night since that would risk a fire. Tomorrow I will be taken the bot to the HoodRiderz office ( @Tim Haden ) so they can do a deeper inspection of the bot and check to see if it is just a simple repair, or if any other repairs are covered under warranty. Hopefully they will since I only got this bot in August of this year.. so only 3 months ago.

Pictures below:

zks79iu.jpgwleUPdu.jpg

up10YSX.jpg (4032×3024)

0pFtOtI.jpg

Speedy Feet video, skip to 4:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szGlh7c11g4

So I took my Ninebot for repair to @Tim Haden this morning and in a few hours he was able to fix the cable. Since the cable broke, it wasn't covered under warranty since it isn't a manufacturer default. However, the bot is back up and fully functioning. Battery at 100% :D.

I'm starting to think that it wasn't actually the gravity/normal transportation vibration that caused the cable to break due to the battery moving inside the case, but probably it was my fault in the way I closed the case when I opened it before after the bot shut off while going down the stairs (Which I wrote about in a previous post). It could very well be the gravity/loose battery, but I'm not sure. Either way, it is a good rule of thumb to make sure that no wires are in a spot in the case where it could get cut.

Awesome customer support from HoodRiderz :).

d2CzZ6h.jpg

reMkuPX.jpg

50 minutes ago, fearedbliss said:

So I took my Ninebot for repair to @Tim Haden this morning and in a few hours he was able to fix the cable. Since the cable broke, it wasn't covered under warranty since it isn't a manufacturer default. However, the bot is back up and fully functioning. Battery at 100% :D.

I'm starting to think that it wasn't actually the gravity/normal transportation vibration that caused the cable to break due to the battery moving inside the case, but probably it was my fault in the way I closed the case when I opened it before after the bot shut off while going down the stairs (Which I wrote about in a previous post). It could very well be the gravity/loose battery, but I'm not sure. Either way, it is a good rule of thumb to make sure that no wires are in a spot in the case where it could get cut.

Awesome customer support from HoodRiderz :).

Its nice to hear your bot is back in working condition! I feel you could give it some makeover to look brand new again with perhaps some vinyl wrapping?

• 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, Zerlolth said:

whats the black connector called at the end of the charging port and battery?

Looks something like a 2-pin JST-SM:

41syfGBdvtL.jpg

If the connector's broken, and you know how to solder connectors, you could replace both ends with some other 2-pin connector too, assuming it has high enough maximum amperage. Although if/when working with the battery, remember that it's always "live", if there are reverse polarity protection diodes in the battery-pack BMS, it shouldn't matter even if you accidentally shorted the charging -side wires. In the discharge-side, it's a whole another matter. Safest to work with one lead at a time, keeping the other further away, so they won't touch.

Archived