The dreaded wobbles

Ronjon1163

New 56 year old member. Had an old fastwheel eva classic bought it beat up and beat it up even worse over the last 3 weeks. Boy is this a sore and steep learning curve.
This was my first unicycle.

Now the owner of a shiny new Kingsong 16s. After the classic this is like a magic carpet. Still not brilliant at it but certainly getting better each day. 

on some occasions I get wobbles. I can feel them coming on and usually slow down. However I have had a couple of occasions where they came on very quickly and violent and I have bailed off the wheel into a commando roll on the grass at the side of the path.

my wheel is calibrated with a 2.5 degree tilt back on my pedals which has been working well.

I have only covered about 20 miles. The pain inside my left arch happens less. I also notice on some occasions that I feel very comfortable on the wheel which makes riding so much more relaxed.

I think the wobbles are down to me and not the wheel as most of the time they are controllable.

I used to ride a motorcycle for a living and I know when you are learning that if you concentrate on something so hard as not to hit it your body tenses and guess what you hit it. Still suffering from that a little bit regarding branches pot holes etc.

Is it just a case of getting the miles on the wheel to gain more experience. Will the wobbles go or is something wrong that I need to address.

thanks

Ronnie

• Like 2

Almost the same age, same wheel and still have the motorcycles. I only started 4 months back but the wobbles will go away quickly. It just takes time but try turning from one side of the path to the other (carving) or braking or just looking further ahead. Also double check the air pressure - the wheels arrive with very low pressure. It's a fun sport though, isn't it.

I found if I stand a little too far forward I thed to get these wobbles to. 

It is easier to ride at speed by shifting 1-2 cm forward. The downside is braking. I have a hard time controlling this.

Standing too far forward I get faster tired in lower legs and that causes wobbles too. 

So I found carving helps to minimize tiredness and as you shift direction it breaks the wobble too.But some places I can't carve due to crowd or space I have available. Then I relax on leg by "rolling" to a toe stand as having high heels on, as far as I can. Then same with other foot. I have grown so accustom to this now that I don't even think about it.

The other day I passed the 900km mark on it. So it is still a "young" wheel for me.

Standing too far back (shoe centered on the pedals) does the same, since one has to constantly be at the balls of one’s feet. Tired muscles are the main cause for wobbles, as evidenced in the multitude of other topics on the subject. Once you get more comfortable, find a more natural foot positioning, and learn to relax, the wobble shouldn’t bother you anymore!

Checking the tire pressure is of course necessary for many other aspects as well.

• Like 1

I will take everything you have all said on board.
Firstly I will go check tyre pressure. The tyre says 35-45 psi so I went in the middle at 40. Although haven’t checked it again since I got it!
I appears a bit of a personal choice as most people seem to run at different pressures.

I am riding on intermediate which is the middle ride setting.

I hope I become as proficient on this as I did on my GSXR 750. It just felt part of me when I was on it.

Thanks

I'm having wobbles on my new wheel too.  It happens almost always when I get up to a certain speed (which seems to be above about 16mph).  That speed comes down as I get more tired.  Because of this, I assume the problem is me and not the wheel.  At this point, I'm just trying to get more miles on the wheel to build up my leg strength.  I know I have issues finding the right spot to put my feet too, but I think leg strength is my biggest problem right now.  After about 20-30mins on the new wheel, my legs are just wobbly jello. 

4 hours ago, Stillhart said:

I'm having wobbles on my new wheel too.  It happens almost always when I get up to a certain speed (which seems to be above about 16mph).  That speed comes down as I get more tired.  Because of this, I assume the problem is me and not the wheel.  At this point, I'm just trying to get more miles on the wheel to build up my leg strength.  I know I have issues finding the right spot to put my feet too, but I think leg strength is my biggest problem right now.  After about 20-30mins on the new wheel, my legs are just wobbly jello. 

Was out on mine today for about 40 minutes apart from one mishap I seem to be getting better, carving is getting better and much smoother. I could feel the legs getting tired and it’s always my left foot ( not my dominant foot) that I get cramp in. I am pretty sure it’s the way I Place my foot on the pedal. When I hold onto something and place both feet I am less likely to get cramp.