Crash?! Fess up! What did you do?

Paulandjacquelyn

(PLEASE do not post power cut out or learning falls on this post.)

Lets share crashes in hopes of educating.   What were you doing or not doing?  Did someone else cause it? Were you showing off? Did a car pull out?  People around for extra shame? Injury?

I have to fight the urge to show off because I just know that will lead to an embarrassing fall lol.

Two crashes in about 500 miles (800 km). The first time, I was riding near top speed (15mph/24kph) and hit some muddy uneven sidewalk. I was leaning slightly forward (accelerating!) at the time and by the time I came down I was leaning too far forward to recover.  The second time I was going up a hill on a smooth street near top speed and just out-leaned the unicycle. Luckily I wasn't wearing shorts and a t-shirt like the first time so I just got some scuffed clothes. Both times I was wearing my helmet and it saved me some bumps.

Couple of learning falls (the very first one was head-first to pavement with arms on my side)... after those, with the 14" generic, I just had to test the top speed on a gravel uphill (yeah, that seemed like a good idea at the time), and either hit a pothole or just outleaned the wheel, jumped off and ended up falling after couple of steps. The next came a couple of months later with the Firewheel, I went over badly ground-frost deformed asphalt with too high speed, it was kind of like this, but in a middle of a bike-lane:

frostheave1.jpg

I managed to brake almost to a stop before I lost my balance and fell to my side. I've always had my gear on (full-face helmet, knee/elbow-pads, wrist guards), and the total damage has been banged toe (I kicked it on the curb on my second learning-fall), and scrapes in my pinky and elbow (in that ground-frost fall, the elbow-pad took worst of the hit, but then somehow rolled around my arm and I got a scrape on my elbow). 

The above ones were all my own fault, but my last incident was a couple of months back, after I had installed my brand new custom-packs to my Firewheel (well, 3 out of 4 at that point). After successful first test ride (with packs charged below 50%), no problems... packs charged to full, first downhill it shuts out from under me. Although technically not a fall (I managed to stay up and jog behind the wheel downhill), it could have been a lot worse, and could happen due to any sort of technical glitch... the wheel ended up rolling down the hill and ended up in some bushes. I'm still waiting for some missing replacement parts (yeah, it's been a looong project, and the latest twist is that a couple of teeny-weeny parts were missing from the shipment :D) to get it sorted, although I've given up on the thought that I could ride it anymore before winter (surprised that there's no snow yet though). But people should always remember, even if you're an experienced rider and your wheel has no modifications and has worked flawlessly in the past, it only takes a one electronic component/connection/whatever giving up and failing or a rider mistake to cause a crash. ;)  Stay safe!

Slipped doing tight turn directly on Stainless steel post hole cover on very first day.

Sure happy too have had good wrist guards on tightly, I will never ride without them,ever!

ukj

I had no crash during the learning phase. But I had two crashes when I was able to ride skillful. One was when I wheeled cool around and did not see a little pit in the pavement: I lost control of the EUC and fell. Fortunately there was lawn besides and I managed to swing over and roll down on the grass. Directly after the crash I wheeled over that pit again to learn and then it worked out. The other crash happened when I took a too steep slant besides stairs in a park. I crashed in front of spanish tourists, what an embarrassment ;-). I only scratched my elbow a little, the sweater was guard enough. Now I know how steep a slope may be for me to wheel it up. The other thing, that's not to mention here, never happened to me although my EUC is on the bad guys list. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have only been riding for about 6 weeks now, I have taken a couple of full on tumbles when riding on a grass oval that had athletics markings on it they are about 100mm wide and 20mm deep.

But my funnest and potentially most dangerous was the first time I tried to go up a sloping walkway. I got about halfway up and faltered, stepping off my Airwheel Q3 I turned it off and walked it up the remaining 10 mtrs and placed it back on the ground.

I stood up adjusted myself and my helmet and hopped back on, this is where it gets funny . I must have placed it on the path perfectly balanced because it wasn't turned on, it shot back and I pitched forward and I fell like a dropped tree, flat on my face and both wrists. Thank heavens I had wrist guards on or my 60yr old wrists would probably been broken. one of the little problems of having a dual wheel EUC :-)

Most embarassing was one morning when I just left my house and started to ride, I saw a neighbor to the side so I turn my head towards him to smile and wave hi. The very second I do that, I hit a person that was crossing my path from the other side that we both didnt see. Same feeling when you look after a nice lady and walk into a lamp post. <_< I could not apologize to the poor guy enough, luckily ony my bot and my ego got injured.

Archived