Some days, I ride it. Some days, it rides me. . .

I know its a common thing:  We get out to go for a ride and somehow we seem to be a little more unstable than usual. Or: some days you go out and ride and you seem to be ONE with the wheel.

This happens to me ALL the time. Some days I can really put the wattage to the ground and all is well in the universe. Other days I can't seem to coax any power out of the wheel, and I wobble like a baby deer in a field. What i wonder is... when you are having an 'off' day, do you see it as a challenge and try to force your way thru it? Do you see it as a sign and take it easy for a while? Im of the former. On a wobbly day, I force myself to overcome it. Usually this doesn't happen and I just end up with a dangerous ride that tires me out. I also notice that once those legs get cold or tired, it gets a lot more interesting.  Keeps it exciting when you have no idea how its going to go, but you try anyhow. Maybe its just perception? Even on a wobbly day, I notice myself getting further up bad trails than the day before. This also begs the question: Am I more unstable today, or am i just more critical of myself today? Soon I may have a better answer, once i collect more personal crash data... I wonder if any of you pros suffer from unstable days? How do you cope with it?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I'm still a noob but one thing I picked up on from reading and videos is that my foot position on the pedals can cause these kinds of wobbly days.  I know I'm still actively trying to pay attention to my footing and how it affects my ride.  evX rides with his strong foot a little forward on the pedal.  U-stride rides with his weak heel up all the time.  I'm working on figuring out what works for me. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

I'm still a noob but one thing I picked up on from reading and videos is that my foot position on the pedals can cause these kinds of wobbly days.  I know I'm still actively trying to pay attention to my footing and how it affects my ride.  evX rides with his strong foot a little forward on the pedal.  U-stride rides with his weak heel up all the time.  I'm working on figuring out what works for me. 

I tend to adjust depending on my planned ride is going to be. A lot of it also depends on which hip is worse that day. Admittedly, I dont pay THAT much attention, but i am constantly aware  I shift the feet during a ride.  Standing offset does seem to increase leverage for high speed turns. Standing evenly, seems to allow me to accelerate by pushing going back and forth foot to foot. Standing ankle tight seems to help on off roading. I'm more wondering about those days that everything seems a little off. Seems the better I get, the less those off days arise, but my expectations are also higher each day. I do take comfort in watching how often Kuji crashes tho.. Seems he has some off days too.:crying:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I like this video by U-Stride about acceleration. I use the lifting the heel method when accelerating and it feels like you're not leaning over the wheel. @ShanesPlanet I understand what you mean about having an "off day". Usually if I haven't ridden in a couple days I start right in with carving ,which gets me loose and a feel for the wheel. Tomorrow will be an exciting day......shhhh :whistling:

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigwave said:

I like this video by U-Stride about acceleration. I use the lifting the heel method when accelerating and it feels like you're not leaning over the wheel. @ShanesPlanet I understand what you mean about having an "off day". Usually if I haven't ridden in a couple days I start right in with carving ,which gets me loose and a feel for the wheel. Tomorrow will be an exciting day......shhhh :whistling:

Good news to hear man! Good vid too. I too ride at speed with a slight twist of the body to keep leverage and one leg solid. SOmetimes i forget and ride loose and hi speed wobbles remind me to carve and twist. I cant recall the vid i watched that illustrated how to accelerate. Probably the NYC drag race. SO much great stuff to watch, if only my net wasnt so poor.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I recently learned something from watching Shanesplanet videos. I learned quickly the other day that starting out nearly motionless works ALOT better for me then trying to get a running start. It helps me to place my feet  how I normally stand naturally. I learned that when the balls of my feet are nearly at the front edge or on the front edge of the pedal I have more control and feel one with the wheel. I angle my feet outward in the shape of a V with all my toes out over the edge of the pedal and the insides of my heels nearly touching the plastic covering of the wheel. When I can get into the position I feel I have control and way less fatigue to feet and calves. 

Another thing thats been working for me is eyeballing the center bracket of the pedal and placing my ankle directly in line with that spot. This puts my legs directly in line with the vertical axis. Doing so puts my feet out over the front edge of the pedals. I have flat ass feet and this position seems the most comfortable. 

I also learned to always wear my high top nike's. After several skinned up and bruised ankles, with my high tops on, the pedals can smack into them during those times of miss mounts and I may ankles dont bleed :)   Hell Iam even juking and jiving to rock ballads while I'm riding now. Having hella fun with this hobby. 

Now I have to find a used inexpensive wheel to take along to the beach this year so my neices/nephews can learn to ride so I have someone to cruise around OBX with!!!!!! 

Happy Riding Folks...........

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bigwave said:

Whoa, did you get a Nik+?

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Good news to hear man! Good vid too. I too ride at speed with a slight twist of the body to keep leverage and one leg solid. SOmetimes i forget and ride loose and hi speed wobbles remind me to carve and twist. I cant recall the vid i watched that illustrated how to accelerate. Probably the NYC drag race. SO much great stuff to watch, if only my net wasnt so poor.

This one would be my guess:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

This one would be my guess:

BOOM, thats the one. I like closer stance, but his video is ON POINT with how I comfortably ride . He totally inspired me and its laughable i even compare us. The turning is so similar to sport bike turns its uncanny. Evx has to be the most charismatic euc rider I've seen so far. Valuable resources for us all over the place and free nontheless!

16 minutes ago, HuskerDawg said:

I recently learned something from watching Shanesplanet videos.

Wow, seriously? I sit here and am honestly flattered and surprised that anyone finds use from my videos. Please realize that I'm not very good and PLEASE don't take my advice as gospel. Tho I'm shocked to hear that someone may have been helped by any of the vids, I'm now also a little worried. Again, please enjoy, but definitely refer to common sense and don't 'trust' me to know shit. I had never intended for the videos to be anything but entertainment, as I'm not qualified to teach anything.

*hijacked my own thread, does that count?*

Edited by ShanesPlanet

6 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

BOOM, thats the one. I like closer stance, but his video is ON POINT with how I comfortably ride . He totally inspired me and its laughable i even compare us. The turning is so similar to sport bike turns its uncanny. Evx has to be the most charismatic euc rider I've seen so far. Valuable resources for us all over the place and free nontheless!

Yeah, as soon as he talked about "locking in" I was like, oh that's all you had to say.  I've literally used that phrase hundreds of times when talking about cornering on sportbikes.  Can't wait to get to the point where I can really start using his advanced tips.  lol

Regarding charismatic Youtubers, I still think this is one of my favorites.  I wish he'd still make videos but life happens.

THAT VIDEO is the one that pushed me over the edge and finalized my first euc purchase of an 18L. I wondered what happened to him and surely hope he is physically okay. I'm sure if i look, I can find out. Funny I loved his video and charm and have NO intentions of riding in crowded cities.

41 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I don’t see the point in pushing through the off days for me, be they mental or physiological. Pushing through increases the risk level more than I’m comfortable with. It’s perfectly ok for me to have just a cool cruise despite having planned for besting myself on a challenging, long and sweaty technical off-road track. Or even not riding at all.

Usually though I warm up pretty soon despite starting stiff as a corpse.

There’s a tough steep and angled forest path decline that I’m going to do some day, but so far I’ve always been at the end of my trip and my legs have been pretty jelloed up by then, so I keep passing the challenge. And that’s ok.

Don't you just LOVE it when your brain decides that its a perfect time to challenge yourself, AFTER a long ride and your legs disagree? I listen to my legs on that one. Typically I try to push thru unease, but sometimes i just gotta toss in the towel and go home, especially if its a matter of fatigue or cold.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

THAT VIDEO is the one that pushed me over the edge and finalized my first euc purchase of an 18L. I wondered what happened to him and surely hope he is physically okay. I'm sure if i look, I can find out. Funny I loved his video and charm and have NO intentions of riding in crowded cities.

I saw a video recently where they said he bought a house in NJ.  lol

• Like 1

I do physical work (landscaping, construction labourer). On days when my legs are stiff/sore after work I definitely notice more instability on the way back, and occasionally get a wobble. On the way there, I never wobble anymore. I know the reason for that is because a lot of the balancing is done by tiny muscle contractions we're not even consciously aware of....like ever get a shaky leg after holding a squat for a long time or something? Same kind of idea.

Perhaps this might explain some good days and bad days?

• Like 2