Kingsong 18xl versions....why do i want every wheel.

Hi. Im on the hunt for a physically bigger wheel. Ive cut my teeth on an acm but want something more cruiseable with easy performance. Top speed is less of a wish but power and torque would be.  I am talking myself in and out of pretty much every wheel on the market right now. Theres a seller that has a seemingly great deal on the KS 18xl. However on closer inspection it appears to be the 2000w version. Can anyone fill me in on the differences between this and the 2200w version ? I have looked all over the place and i see little mentions here and there,  But nothing confirming specs just some feel it may be more reliable?? 

Love gotway power and specs ms pro imediately jumped to the top of my list but i always feel i would preffer a taller case and flatter pedals. kingsong sure do make a balanced practical wheel with options trolley handle alone makes it super tempting. So hard to choose. Im literally swinging from a monster in the basket to a 16x....with a nicola/ms pro fight to the death the rest of the time. And now kingsong options. 

Im 6ft 2 - 200lbs fortunate enough to live on the doorstep of miles and miles of forestry tracks. Thats where i intend to use it mainly. Any guidance or clarrification of the above questions would be hugely appreciated. 

The slightly older 2000W motor version of the KS18XL is supposed to be one of the most reliable wheels out there. I doubt you'd feel any difference between a 2000W and a 2200W motor. Personally, I'd go for it if the price is right. Remember to upgrade the firmware to the latest version as the new version of the firmware makes the wheel better still. The KS16X is a bit slower but is slightly more comfy and more agile - personally I love the look of it but I understand there are a few waterproofing issues. The MSX is faster and can be had cheaper but there's those pedals and of course that handle. The new Pro version has a bunch of improvements but it's new so will cost you.

I don't know what price you're looking at for the XL but Scootersdirect has the 18XL for £1450 at the moment which seems great value. I bought my wheel from them and they were good to deal with.

• Like 1

The 2000 watt XL might just be the better wheel. I know that it sounds backwards but the smaller demand motor should be safer at higher speeds, at least on paper. The 2200 watt might be better at low speeds. Great cruiser and with the right rider just as good as the MSX in the competitions.

If you are an aggressive rider the MSX is the way to go especially if you are a reactivate rider. ( blast threw and recover) 

35 minutes ago, Glenn@mansfield said:

So does the 2000w xl still hit the same 31mph as the 2200 if it needs to? Thanks 

Speed is firmware limited(not motor size) and the same on both. Your concerns are unfounded on that. 31mph is an inflated number, but YES they both limit at 50kmh (31 mph)by THEIR scale. I think top speed is more realistically around 28mph or less. The 2000w version is the one to get imho(this coming from a guy who WANTED to have a reason to buy the 2200w swap). Having a bigger motor has benefits, but range and top speed (in this case) is not two of them. After mileage is unlocked, you can set and forget the top speed. The newest FW makes the 18 a quiet wheel and even smoother than before. I comfortably cruise at and just under the top speed for mine and take comfort in knowing that KS has opted to stay on the safer side of battery/wheel limitations. Cruising UNDER top speed, gives you the ability to speed up if you need to. So far, I havent noticed mine acting like it minds being ridden at top speed tiltback. If my 18L died today, I'd be looking at an 18XL 2 minutes later. Eventually my collection will grow, but the Ks18 seems like a solid goto. Until major breakthroughs happen, i'd say the top contenders are all similar. Hopefully the euc world isnt stalled or killed by this economy stall, or by politics. Fwiw, ive seen the 2200w motor for sale for UBER cheap. Seems that its not a REAL benefit in most cases, over the 2000w. I read somewhere that the 2200w has different firmware? Dont quote me on that, but i do know its a wise idea to stick with whats more common, as its more likely repairable and has more after sale support.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Yes, they have the same top speed. The 2000 watt has plenty of power at top speed.

The battery power is limited because it is a battery. The power board controls the balance sending power to the motor. The 2200 watt motor can demand more of the limited battery. This is why the smaller motor might just be safer at high speeds. The lower watt motor should spin faster with the same amount of power given to the motor. It is more complicated than that but in this case the numbers favor the smaller motor at high speed and the bigger motor at low speeds. 

If the higher watt motor had a higher voltage battery with the same amperage it would blow the 2000 watt system away. :w00t2:But it doesn’t :facepalm:

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

The 2200 watt motor can demand more of the limited battery.

I don’t think it can. Both motors can handle few times the rated power for a few seconds. The controller is what decides how much power to draw and give. It does this based on the rider’s demands. If you hit a pothole at 30mph, the controller gives the maximum power the firmware allows, and the efficiency of the motor is the deciding factor in whether it is enough to keep you upright. Power rating of the motor doesn’t come into play just yet.

The lower watt motor should spin faster with the same amount of power given to the motor.

No. The motor rating tells us how much power the motor can handle continuously. By just drilling holes to increase cooling increases the motor’s power rating, and it doesn’t affect the electrical demands or efficiency of the motor at all.

Since it’s a different motor, the magnet width, copper thickness and kv rating are likely a bit different. But the power rating doesn’t tell us about efficiency.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

As I said it gets more complicated than that and all bets are off depending on the changes made by winding the motor differently but Yes, in this case the EMF is going to be balanced at a lower  lower RPM with the larger watt motor. The KS 2200 watt motor needs more resistance or a higher voltage to be as safe as the 2000 watt motor. 

Peak voltage and power numbers are best left for the marketing dept (see: audio equipment).  What you want is acceleration comparisons, incline attempts, range tests.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that the KS18XL is a better casual wheel than the MSX/MSP.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1