New Audio Setup for EUC Videos (this will rock)

Hi Guys

I has been a long time since I have posted in this forum, but I expect this is going to change with the weather getting better.

Some of you might know that I have drone channel on youtube that is going pretty well. I have tried to posting EUC content on the channel for a while with limited success so I have decided to use my new personal channel for EUC content. I'm working on a new video concept where I will take my audience with me to see local attractions on my wheel while narrating, this is why I have been playing around improving the audio while riding. In this video you can see my progress so far

Let me know what you think about the audio quality?

• Like 2

I used to be a professional audio technician (not of many years experience however) and to be honest I'm surprised how good audio of the H1N is just based on the lack of wind noise and not having excessive gain which is a common issue. Vloggers too frequently underestimate how critical audio is to the production, some people go overboard in the pursuit of perfection but just getting rid of wind noise and excessive gain is really helpful to getting people to come back to your videos.

Your microphone placement has worked out very well in this example.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 12:03 PM, Roadpower said:

I used to be a professional audio technician (not of many years experience however) and to be honest I'm surprised how good audio of the H1N is just based on the lack of wind noise and not having excessive gain which is a common issue. Vloggers too frequently underestimate how critical audio is to the production, some people go overboard in the pursuit of perfection but just getting rid of wind noise and excessive gain is really helpful to getting people to come back to your videos.

Your microphone placement has worked out very well in this example.

Yes, it turned out great :-) 

This is some cool stuff! No doubt the in helmet mics and specialty mics make great video. Mic placement has always been the #1 rule for good audio in a studio. Even when comparing $100 vs $3k mics, placement can make you wonder which is which (excluding noise floor). Im looking into something for my helmet perhaps. I'm not willing to have a unit very big at all(i have a tascam dr40). Has anyone tried any of the latest teeny tiny all in one recorders? Ive a zoom, but Im thinking something so small it can be completely hidden in/on the helmet. Having ANY cables from helmet to person is a definitive NO-NO for me. Maybe there's a bluetooth alternative, as latency doesnt matter during post edit. Im an idiot of all this portable stuff, any suggestions where to even start looking?

Edited by ShanesPlanet