What speed does the mcm5 ring it's 3rd alarm?

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in this wheel, but I'm finding conflicting info about this through search. Will the 3rd 80% power alarm ring at 22 mph or 26 mph for the mcm5? I try not to ride the beeps so I want to know how fast I can expect to practically go on a routine basis (full/mostly charged, not super cold, flat ground, etc). For reference, I'm 175lb.

I'd appreciate anyone's experience on this. If you can, include your weight and battery percent.

See I’ve seen this too, but in my experience that’s not how it works. On my tesla I get alarms at 27 mph on flat ground with full battery. And if I’m going downhill, I can go beyond 30 mph with no alarms at all. Through my experience I’m led to believe that the 80% alarm is not a speed alarm but instead a maximum power alarm which works dynamically with whatever calculations the wheel uses. 

• Like 1

We can only believe what Gotway tells us.

The discrepancy between theory and reality might be caused by the voltage drop. The battery percentage is just the voltage in disguise (4.1125V and above = 100%, 3.3V = 0%), and the voltage can drop heavily under demand spikes. Especially for smaller batteries. E.g. a wheel may show 40% battery when standing still, yet you get the 15% battery beeps as soon as you accelerate hard because the voltage drops so much.

Or maybe they changed the formula?

In theory, a voltage-dependent speed alarm makes sense. A motor has a fixed max speed if supplied with any given voltage. So for every voltage, a warning at 80% (or whatever) of that speed makes sense.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny Paul said:

See I’ve seen this too, but in my experience that’s not how it works. On my tesla I get alarms at 27 mph on flat ground with full battery. And if I’m going downhill, I can go beyond 30 mph with no alarms at all. Through my experience I’m led to believe that the 80% alarm is not a speed alarm but instead a maximum power alarm which works dynamically with whatever calculations the wheel uses. 

My belief has always been that the 80% alarm is not related to a fixed speed at all. It is related to how much more you can push the wheel, in terms of the batteries ability to give more power to the engine, which is why it is different at different body weights, and on different road gradients. And why as the battery reduces, the threshold drops.

• 4 months later...

What is the "3rd alarm"? What does it sounds like? I weight about 177lbs and I get two quick beeps at 30-33kph. I want to ride safely, but I'm ready to go faster too. Is that the third alarm? Obviously I never want to crash. Thanks!

6 hours ago, X8Lika8X said:

What is the "3rd alarm"? What does it sounds like? I weight about 177lbs and I get two quick beeps at 30-33kph. I want to ride safely, but I'm ready to go faster too. Is that the third alarm? Obviously I never want to crash. Thanks!

Sounds like the first speed alarm. Most people disable to the first two alarms through the phone app (either DarknessBot, eucworld, or “kebye Gotway). 
the third speed alarm is a continuous beepbeepbeepbeepbeep. This third alarm is not cannot be disabled.

Read more here: 

So, with the info I recently received here, I decided to get fully geared up today (motocross helmet. Fully padded motorcycle jacket, kidney/back protector, wrist guards and gloves, Hip and leg pads, knee and shin guards, motorcycle shoes with ankle protection) and go test my MCM5. At 22mph I get a quick 3 beep alarm, which I believe is my 2nd alarm. At one point, I reached 24.9 mph but still never heard the potential 3rd alarm of constant beeping. I plan on testing this more soon to see if I can reach the final alarm and hopefully not cut out. I also experienced downhill tilt back at the start of my ride due to battery overcharge (I think that's what it was. Would make sense because I did a 3 hour battery top-off charge the night before). Again I am 178lbs-ish. I will update with more info to fill in the gaps of information since I personally had trouble finding a lot of information about this wheel and speed caps. Thanks again to Denny Paul for recommending EUC World app!

13 hours ago, X8Lika8X said:

So, with the info I recently received here, I decided to get fully geared up today (motocross helmet. Fully padded motorcycle jacket, kidney/back protector, wrist guards and gloves, Hip and leg pads, knee and shin guards, motorcycle shoes with ankle protection) and go test my MCM5. At 22mph I get a quick 3 beep alarm, which I believe is my 2nd alarm. At one point, I reached 24.9 mph but still never heard the potential 3rd alarm of constant beeping. I plan on testing this more soon to see if I can reach the final alarm and hopefully not cut out. I also experienced downhill tilt back at the start of my ride due to battery overcharge (I think that's what it was. Would make sense because I did a 3 hour battery top-off charge the night before). Again I am 178lbs-ish. I will update with more info to fill in the gaps of information since I personally had trouble finding a lot of information about this wheel and speed caps. Thanks again to Denny Paul for recommending EUC World app!

at a full charge you'd hear the 3rd alarm at roughly 26 mph. That's why I think most people disable the first two speed alarms. Because they sound so similar, the speed alarms are impossible to discern from each other if they don't ring long enough (like when you slow down in response). If you disable the first two speed alarms and your wheel beeps even a single time when you're going fast, you know you just hit the 3rd alarm for a brief second. That's more valuable to me than having to do guesswork when I'm going faster. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

at a full charge you'd hear the 3rd alarm at roughly 26 mph. That's why I think most people disable the first two speed alarms. Because they sound so similar, the speed alarms are impossible to discern from each other if they don't ring long enough (like when you slow down in response). If you disable the first two speed alarms and your wheel beeps even a single time when you're going fast, you know you just hit the 3rd alarm for a brief second. That's more valuable to me than having to do guesswork when I'm going faster. 

I definitely don't disagree, and I tried to disable the alarm, but they're still going off. My only other concern is if it cuts out on me, not even for my sake because I'm pretty confident I should be okay with my gear, but I don't want to smash the wheel up. One of these days I'm going to see if I can hit 26. I'm trying to speed up and watch the voltage in the app at the same time.

3 hours ago, X8Lika8X said:

I definitely don't disagree, and I tried to disable the alarm, but they're still going off. My only other concern is if it cuts out on me, not even for my sake because I'm pretty confident I should be okay with my gear, but I don't want to smash the wheel up. One of these days I'm going to see if I can hit 26. I'm trying to speed up and watch the voltage in the app at the same time.

Test it on a stand or two tool boxes. Use the gotway app and open the alarms then close the 1 class and 2 class alarms, each time you do it you should get a beep from the wheel. Then spin it up on the stand and you should only get the 80% alarm when it's spun right up at max speed, 5 beeps per second.

1 hour ago, Delmeekc said:

Test it on a stand or two tool boxes. Use the gotway app and open the alarms then close the 1 class and 2 class alarms, each time you do it you should get a beep from the wheel. Then spin it up on the stand and you should only get the 80% alarm when it's spun right up at max speed, 5 beeps per second.

Oh okay I'll try it thanks!

8 minutes ago, X8Lika8X said:

Oh okay I'll try it thanks!

Okay so I disabled the alarms and when it hit 25 mph the constant beeping started but the wheel also cut out simultaneously and I tried it three times. Thoughts? Should I keep that second alarm on?

40 minutes ago, X8Lika8X said:

Okay so I disabled the alarms and when it hit 25 mph the constant beeping started but the wheel also cut out simultaneously and I tried it three times. Thoughts? Should I keep that second alarm on?

Thank you guys so much for all the help. Did a test run and got my 3rd alarm between 24-25mph consistently. No cut outs and I finally feel confident on what to expect from this wheel. 

• Like 1

I get the same and just back off a little when I hit the beeps and keep it just below.  Have fun. Done 1200 miles on the MCM5 so far and all good with no issues at all.

I also closed the tilt back as don't like it at all, again in the gotway app.

• Like 1

Just leave the 1st and 2nd off as they are just speed alarms, the 80% alarm will come on sooner (lesser speed) as the battery level under load gets lower so just go by that.  Your also get 2 and 3 slow beeps when the battery gets really low, I normally plan my charging and ride so I stay out of them too.  If I'm stuck due to the ride and they start coming on I just slow down to nice slow speed.

Use an app like wheel log and also set the speed alarm in the app so it notifies you just incase you can't hear them at 24mph. Or if you have some DIY skills mount the buzzer through the case and you can hear the beeps loud with a full face crash helmet on.  I've done both my MCM5 and my MSuperX and I can hear the beeps at 32mph regardless of any wind.  Best and safest mod I've ever done and will probably do to every wheel I buy.  There are a few topics on it too.

Here's the MCM5 being ridden with it externally.

You can see it here too and how it looks, I have a rubber cover for it when I get caught in the rain.

• Like 2

I have 4k miles on my mcm5, 1st and 2nd class alarms off. I get the beeps on flat ground and an indicated 26.5mph on wheel log and EUC world. I have tilt back on, but set to 45kph in app (almost 28mph) because going down hill can prevent the beeps from coming on on a full charge. It's just preventative, I haven't gone more than an indicated 27.6mph in app. 

Most of the time running short errands I don't hear any beeps since I'm going 22mph cruising in the bike lane or 15 to 18 on a side walk. 

The wheels has been great with no issues aside from the LED lights on the top not working for the last 3500 miles haha. No big crashes, rear plastic cover has come me off catching rocks off road but the whole enclosure is so low to the ground it's my fault for taking it places it doesn't belong 🙂