Looking for lessons in or near Boca Raton

Bgarr33434

12 hours ago, Bgarr33434 said:

Looking for lessons in or near Boca Raton.  Have been practicing on garage wall but need help.

Looking for lessons in or near Boca Raton.  Have been practicing on garage wall but need help.

Epic win today!  I just did a full lap of my apartment complex parking lot, which includes uphills and downhills.  65 is not too old to ride!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bgarr33434 said:

Epic win today!  I just did a full lap of my apartment complex parking lot, which includes uphills and downhills.  65 is not too old to ride!

Congrats on the progress!!! :thumbup:

From here it'll just get easier!

Edited by travsformation

Working on self starting without holding on, and keeping my arms out of okay.

Just wait for the eureka moment when you can free-mount! Keep up it, you see how you don't need lesson after all? This video was useful to me for free-mounting:

As to EUCs, what do you plan on using it for? Will you be doing any commuting? What kind of distances? Do you like riding fast? (motorcyckle, bicycle, etc.). 

Edited by travsformation

You've already a damn fine 14", perhaps you should look the other way to something larger? All depends on purpose, as Travs pointed out. Glad you got past the worst part of the learning curve......brevity! Instant gratification isnt common on these. I bet LOTS of people feel its going to be impossible and some give up probably 3 minutes before theyd get that surge of gratification. Be careful, its addictive as hell!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Day five, don't feel like I've made much progress in feeling more in control.  I'm still a rider trying to hang on, instead of in control.  When does that change?  Will I feel more in control on a smaller wheel - mten3?  I also think I need to move from the parking lot to a wider open area where I won't be worried about hitting cars.

Edited by Bgarr33434

29 minutes ago, Bgarr33434 said:

I'm still a rider trying to hang on, instead of in control.  When does that change?

It isn't the same for everyone, we all get that "magic click" moment...whenever it happens for us. Just keep practicing, patience is key! And a larger area will definitely help. Also, slow-speed riding is more difficult, the faster you ride (don't go faster than you can run though), the easier it is.

Don't worry about a smaller wheel, a 14" is a great size to learn on! As I said, just keep it up, you'll get there! :)

14 minutes ago, Bgarr33434 said:

Day five, don't feel like I've made much progress in feeling more in control.  I'm still a rider trying to hang on, instead of in control.  When does that change?

Go faster. It is quite hard to go slow (like walking speed and slightly over) and it is much easier to go faster - 10mph and above. You're in a slump because you're training to do things at too slow speed. Speed up and it will be much better. Do the exact same thing you do in the video, just get up to speed quickly and stay there. With learning progress, you can slow down after speeding up and will still be stable, down to slower and slower and slower speeds.

I recently made a similar post for a similar situation, see here:

I think 99% of your "problem" (not a real problem, luckily:)) will go away with more speed.

You can also consciously try to keep your hands at your side (touching your pockets, but not in them) to prevent arm flailing. This will automatically make you do more hip-twisting instead of shifting weight between the feet. The hip twisting is also something you can consciously train. (To explain how to balance via twisting the hips, think how you would balance a bicycle at very slow speed - by rapidly twisting the front tire into the direction you would fall. Work the same with the electric unicycle under you.)

27 minutes ago, Bgarr33434 said:

ill I feel more in control on a smaller wheel - mten3?

A 14D is pretty much as good as it gets, small, light, nimble. I believe more speed will solve everything. Don#t be afraid of moderate speeds (and wear at least wrist guards;)).

32 minutes ago, Bgarr33434 said:

I also think I need to move from the parking lot to a wider open area where I won't be worried about hitting cars.

Good! Anything that distracts you (like being afraid of something) makes you tense, which makes it harder to ride and learn.

• Like 2

This is another excellent video to teach you the skills of riding a EUC. I learned a month ago and really focused on the drills. Having good control of the EUC with your dominant leg is very important. Your  starts and stopping will be much easier . Do the drills"about 30 times"   .....lol:D

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bigwave said:

This is another excellent video to teach you the skills of riding a EUC. I learned a month ago and really focused on the drills. Having good control of the EUC with your dominant leg is very important. You starts and stopping will be much easier . Do the drills"about 30 times"   .....lol

Excellent video! And @Bgarr33434,you can trust @bigwave 's "drill method", it's served him very well!

• Like 1

Ok, just road ten laps at the empty community center parking lot.  Learned successfully how to get on and off without holding on to anything.  Everyone said going faster would make me more stable, but I really don't think I want to go faster than ten to twelve miles per hour.  Would I benefit from a smaller or larger wheel?

I would stick with the wheel you have now until you feel you have mastered it at least. Probably a good idea to get some wrist guards as well. I took Ian's (from Speedyfeet) advice on this, you have to think in terms of conditioning your body. As that occurs you will naturally become more in command of the machine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...