2 amp charger

Stein1922

6 hours ago, Stein1922 said:

Hello, how long will it take a 2 amp charger to charge my gotway tesla-mSuper X or Nikola to 50%

You need to divide the Wh with 3.7V (cell nominal voltage) and the number of cells in series ( 20 for 84V, 24 for 100.8V).

That gives you the Ah of your battery pack.

The time for charging up to below ~80-90% is roughly(*) this Ah divided by the charging current.

To charge the battery full from this 80-90% it takes another ~2-4 hours.

*: The charge % reported from the wheels do just roughly correspond to the real state of charge of the battery cells. And most probably the charging current is not too accurate. But this should help for a first guess that can be finetuned to your needs.

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

Your MSX or Nikola (1600Wh): 10.5 hours to charge from empty to full.

Tesla (1020Wh): 7 hours to charge from empty to full.

So maybe 6 hours to add 50% to the MSX and 4 hours to add 50% to your Tesla? More if you end up at or near 100%.

No guarantees;) This is just a very rough estimate (the only way to be sure is to try it), but I guess you just wanted a ballpark figure.

• Like 1

I'd say 5h because even though we have 1600Wh we don't really use the full capacity. When we normally stop riding we're probably at around 30% left.

So a half charged pack would effectively show 65% or thereabout.

If your msx has been charged a couple hundred times already you can expect reduced charging times as the capacity shrinks. I think tests show that panasonic cells reach 70-80% of original capacity after 500-1000 cycles and basically stay there forever.

Edited by alcatraz