Introducing myself & thoughts on buying my first second wheel

yoric

2 hours ago, rolekl said:

I've bought a v5f from Gearbest and just recently a Nikola from Ali. I've been lucky both times it seems. 

I'm still a beginner but my belief is that only Kingsong goes into the "local market hassle".

Thanks for sharing your experience with Gearbest, which is very AliExpress-like.

By the way, nice combo "V5F + Nikola" !

1. Buying via AliExpress: from what I gather, it's not so bad so long as the wheel works initially and you are fine with next to no after-sale support. 
  2. EUC World - from what I understand, it is compatible with most Gotway and Kingsong wheels, the Tesla should be fine. Remember that EUC World is an android only application. 
  3. I don't see any reason why buying from AliExpress would affect your ability to connect to a Gotway wheel. Sometimes there are issues with Kingsong where the wheel forgets the serial number.

A lot of your other questions are unique to you. From what I gather, the rules and consequences for riding EUCs are more severe in Europe compared to the US. I find the stock charger more than sufficient for my riding but I don't go on long rides and my batteries hold more range than I can comfortably ride in a day. 

Best of luck to you, I would recommend getting the Tesla. I started with a Kingsong 16S and I think if I started with a Gotway Tesla, I may not have felt the need to go out and buy a Nikola Plus, which cost an additional $2,500. 

• Like 1

1. EUC World - from what I understand, it is compatible with most Gotway and Kingsong wheels, the Tesla should be fine. Remember that EUC World is an android only application.

EUC World and DarknessBot (iOS) do not support speed settings, calibration or firmware updates on KS wheels with a serial number that identifies retail for inland China. That includes wheels bought from Aliexpress etc.

International KS versions might start appearing in Ali at some point. Or they might be available on request (and a fee).

Edit:

Lovely story by the way, @yoric! Amazing how strongly riding stays stuck with you... for two years! Earlier Finnish winters caused a 4 month gap for me, and no day went by where I didn’t think about riding. This winter: knobby MC tire with studs, and barely any snow, so I’ve kept on riding!

With the exception of KingSong wheels, Aliexpress is a viable source for purchase. Reputable sellers may offer spare parts as a warranty, just replacing them would be on you. Though I’d imagine a bunch of riders love working on their wheels almost as much as I do...

Seeing how much you loved the V8, I’d expect the Tesla V2 to bring you to happy tears and a level of excitement you never inagined!

Edited by mrelwood

17 hours ago, gr8ps said:
  1. Buying via AliExpress: from what I gather, it's not so bad so long as the wheel works initially and you are fine with next to no after-sale support. 
  2. EUC World - from what I understand, it is compatible with most Gotway and Kingsong wheels, the Tesla should be fine. Remember that EUC World is an android only application. 
  3. I don't see any reason why buying from AliExpress would affect your ability to connect to a Gotway wheel. Sometimes there are issues with Kingsong where the wheel forgets the serial number.

A lot of your other questions are unique to you. From what I gather, the rules and consequences for riding EUCs are more severe in Europe compared to the US. I find the stock charger more than sufficient for my riding but I don't go on long rides and my batteries hold more range than I can comfortably ride in a day. 

Best of luck to you, I would recommend getting the Tesla. I started with a Kingsong 16S and I think if I started with a Gotway Tesla, I may not have felt the need to go out and buy a Nikola Plus, which cost an additional $2,500. 

Thanks for your effort in wrapping up my questions and answering them. It conforts my decision in buying the Tesla 2, and buying it on AliExpress, with the pros and cons it entails.
(To be fair, If I wasn't on a budget, I might have considered buying the KS16X for its extra off-road capabilities, but for now the Tesla 2 has the best ratio value/price I came with for my needs)

I won't buy a fast charger for now. As far as I understand, it's mostly for people riding 50 miles or more in the same day, and making a pause to charge back their wheel in two hours.

8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

EUC World and DarknessBot (iOS) do not support speed settings, calibration or firmware updates on KS wheels with a serial number that identifies retail for inland China. That includes wheels bought from Aliexpress etc.

International KS versions might start appearing in Ali at some point. Or they might be available on request (and a fee).

Thanks for those precisions about the KingSong models, it's better to know this before buying. If I were to buy the KS16X, I probably won't buy it from Bangood/AliExpress then.

Earlier Finnish winters caused a 4 month gap for me, and no day went by where I didn’t think about riding. This winter: knobby MC tire with studs, and barely any snow, so I’ve kept on riding!

Really, 4 months without riding because of winter season, I guess winter is agressive in Finland. And you kept thinking about about riding every single day. Hahaha, I'm not the only one addicted. Those wheels are for sure addictive!

That's really cool having equipped your wheel with special tires. This must be tricky to install, but then it must gives a total new touch and feel for riding on snowy/muddy roads.

Seeing how much you loved the V8, I’d expect the Tesla V2 to bring you to happy tears and a level of excitement you never inagined!

I'm sure it will. I just ordered it! This gonna be the longest month ever waiting it arrives from China!

Thanks to this forum I could contact some local guys where I live using a Telegram group. They shared maps where to ride, and it's beyond my imagination. I can't wait to ride all of those, wow, great moments ahead!

Spoiler

2020-02-17-12-03-30.jpg

2020-02-17-12-03-54.jpg

Edited by yoric
Added Maps

4 hours ago, yoric said:

Really, 4 months without riding because of winter season, I guess winter is agressive in Finland.

At least it used to be, snow and ice for up to that long. I had previously decided not to risk it even on snow. Now that I was finally prepared... sigh!

4 hours ago, yoric said:

That's really cool having equipped your wheel with special tires. This must be tricky to install, but then it must gives a total new touch and feel for riding on snowy/muddy roads.

The install wasn’t much more tricky than just a regular tire replacement, as long as you have sourced a tire that fits. Regarding the new feel... you can’t even imagine! Just yesterday I thought my brother was on the phone since he slowed way down. I waited for him and he said that he didn’t want to ride that fast on mud.

”You call THAT mud?!” :lol:

Snow is the same, not much care in the world riding on it! It did take me a good while to learn to trust the tire, but apparently I now do.

Riding on snow, or even on wet leaves or thin mud used to be like walking on a slackline, very slow and careful. On my behemoth of an offroad tire it really is just ”riding”. I do wish other tire sizes than the MSX were better represented with offerings for real off-road and winter, as I believe the customer base now exists. Hopefully some day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Regarding the new feel... you can’t even imagine! Just yesterday I thought my brother was on the phone since he slowed way down. I waited for him and he said that he didn’t want to ride that fast on mud.

”You call THAT mud?!” :lol:

Snow is the same, not much care in the world riding on it! It did take me a good while to learn to trust the tire, but apparently I now do.

Riding on snow, or even on wet leaves or thin mud used to be like walking on a slackline, very slow and careful. On my behemoth of an offroad tire it really is just ”riding”. I do wish other tire sizes than the MSX were better represented with offerings for real off-road and winter, as I believe the customer base now exists. Hopefully some day.

That's interesting, it means changing tires can make a huge difference depending on the ground / soil condition.
The only thing is to find such tire for a specific wheel model. Time will give us more choice hopefully :-)

• Like 1