Supercharged Lithium-Silicon Batteries on the horizon

litewave

Courtesy Wired and their sister pub Ars Technica:

The long-term goal is high-energy EVs, but the first stop will be small devices. By this time next year, Berdichevsky plans to have the first lithium-silicon batteries in consumer electronics, which he says will make them last 20 percent longer per charge.

Edited by litewave
removed photo to reclaim available user space
  • Like 1

I can't wait for graphene batteries. Graphene power banks for cell phones are now available.

I didn’t know they were already that far!

The energy density at the 18650 cells of this manufacturers is approximately 2.5 x better, compared to a 3.5Ah 18650. The price per kWh will initially be at least the same but will decrease as time goes on and production numbers grow. My estimate is that from the beginning of 2021 these batteries will gradually become up to 40% cheaper compared to li-ion batteries”, says the battery expert.”

https://privacy.vakmedianet.nl/bike-eu/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bike-eu.com%2Fhome%2Fnieuws%2F2019%2F03%2Fgraphene-lithium-technology-revolutionizing-e-bike-batteries-10135496

How exciting! Unless there are significant drawbacks, we actually might 2.5x the battery capacity of our current EUCs already in a year! A 5000Wh 18XXL with a range of up to 250km per charge... OMG!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

How exciting! Unless there are significant drawbacks, we actually might 2.5x the battery capacity of our current EUCs already in a year! A 5000Wh 18XXL with a range of up to 250km per charge... OMG!

With a price tag of $10.000. B)
I'm always skeptical of products that aren't on the market. Until a datasheet is released and you can order one on Mouser, I'm skeptical.
It's nice to dream though! :P

49 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

With a price tag of $10.000. B)

The article explicitly said that they expect the graphene battery to become 40% cheaper than a regular li-ion, starting in 2021.

49 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

I'm always skeptical of products that aren't on the market.

Me too, I’m absolutely not going to postpone buying a new wheel for example for an article like this. A huge leap in battery technology (and a fusion reactor) have been just around the corner for about 50 years now. But it would just be just so cool! :lol:

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The article explicitly said that they expect the graphene battery to become 40% cheaper than a regular li-ion, starting in 2021.

They can expect it all they want. ;) First for those new batteries will be drone manufacturers, then iphones, then car makers, then space industry and only then everyone else.
Can I believe it's gonna be cheaper in 2025? Yes. 2021? No way. B) Not for you and me at least.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

It can also really benefit those of us looking for a light weight EUC for shorter distance commuting/riding. 20lb 16" EUC with 30 mile range that can be charged in 30 min would be great.

I also think this technology will not be available for EUCs for at least 3 years.

4 minutes ago, fujio001 said:

20lb 16" EUC with 30 mile range that can be charged in 30 min would be great.

30 mile range implies about 1500Wh. For it to charge in 30min would require a 3000W charger. ;) Enough to blow the breaker in some houses.
Also, 3000W charger by itself would weigh a lot. I have a 1000W one and it's HEAVY.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

30 mile range implies about 1500Wh.

I’d say more like 1000Wh, even for a 210lbs rider like myself.

But yeah, charging to full in 30 minutes would imply a completely new kind of a battery tech. Both the graphene and silicon batteries mentioned are just a new variation on Li-ion.

I’d be way happy to charge overnight, I just want the range the graphene can offer! Be it in 2021 or 2025...

• Like 2