Talk to me about the Mten3.

Gasmantle

Hi all,

I'm a rider of a KS16s and thinking about treating myself to a Mten3 as a second wheel, the KS is ideal for the majority of journeys I do but I'd like something that will fit in a backpack and that I can easily carry on and off trains etc.

I only intend to use the second wheel for perhaps 12miles max per charge and will only be using it on tarmac / paved areas but I do want something that will negotiate kerbs now and again.

Is the Mten3 practical for 'serious' use in the way I want to use it or is it really only a novelty wheel? will it handle kerbs or the odd small bump in the road?

Many thanks :)

I received one last week and loved it at first, I'm still pretty new having just started riding this past September, I'm by no means what I consider to be a good rider but good enough to pretty much be able to go where I want to without issue.  Then I go to ride yesterday having taken a few days off with the Mten and for some reason I struggled with foot placement, the pedals do tilt upwards which I'm not used to but figured I'd get used to it, don't know but I was having a rough time with it, before it seemed like all was good doing tight little figure 8's and such and never even dropped it, but yesterday, I struggled, especially when mounting it.  Then, I think, well I'll just ride my 16x, this is when things went sideways, I could barely ride the thing, it felt like an overloaded suitcase between my legs, my beloved 16x now felt terrible, I could ride it but man, it wasn't fun.  I'm going out today to ride the Mten and am going to put the 16x away for a week or so, I'm determined to get this Mten down.  For a newbie like me, the Mten is super fun and compact but it's a far departure from my 16x, maybe I should have given it more time before switching to such a small wheel.  

• Like 1

@Gasmantle Of course it's practical for serious use. ;)
In fact, I also plan to buy an MTen3 (or a similar small wheel that will fit in my backpack) some day. It would complement my MSX well.
Just remember than 10' means it absolutely sucks at bumps. But you know that already. For city use it will be fine.

KS16S is already good for trains. I'm sometimes commuting with my MSX - that's a hog...

Edited by atdlzpae

The practical "fun" speed is around 10 to 13 mph sustained. Above 15mph sustained starts to get stressful and fatiguing. Also it takes a lot more concentration on the ground's condition. I ride my MCM5 (14") fast and recklessly in low or no light, transitioning from street to sidewalk many times at 20 to 24 mph with little regard to the ground's condition. The MCM5's tire profile and composition is magical in that regard. The MTen3 however, requires careful observation and decision making every inch of the ride when traveling above 8mph. Also it looses some of its zippiness when the battery gets below 50%. Definite learning curve. Super fun. I bought mine as a toy and use it on family neighborhood walks. If you're up for the challenge, it can be used as a regular commuter though.

• Like 2

I use the KS 14D for my last mile commute on some pretty nasty roads and some ice/snow this time of the year. At around 27 lbs it's heavier than the Mten3 but not hard to carry on/off the train. It's too big for a backpack but rolls well with the retractable handle. I don't always see the bumps, potholes, tree twigs, etc in the dark but the wheel seems to handle it fine. I'm still a newbie - a touch under 50 miles so far at this point.

I have a V10F and MTen3.

I use my MTe3 for my daily 1 mile commute through downtown.  I routinely burst up to 22mph on sidewalk that I know is smooth and empty.  At low speeds, the MTen3 can handle bumps; it is not too hard to jump up a curb.  Jumping down is no problem.  It is very fast, very maneuverable and very powerful.   A highly practical vehicle.   It is nice on the sidewalk because it is small and people just think you are on a toy.  Pedestrians/Police/Bikers are far more accepting of the MTen3 then of the V10F.  Also, you can carry the MTen3 around like a briefcase and nobody gives it a second look.  People have asked me before if it is a cooler or lunchbox.

The only thing the MTen3 won't do is handle bumpy riding surfaces at high speeds.   

I've put it in a backpack before but it is not easy or comfortable.  If you got a specific backpack and put a hard plate in it then it might be ok.  Otherwise, the pedal will poke uncomfortably into your back.  You'd want a good chest/stomach buckle too to take some of the weight.

When you first start riding it, your feet will fatigue and your shins will get sore.  Don't give up, that will all go away.   The handle is uncomfortable, also, but if you have strong hands that are not too big, then you will adapt to caring it also. 

Many thanks for all the replies :)

It sounds like the wheel ought to be able to cope with the easy terrain I'm likely to use it on so I'm looking at buying one shortly.

Having watched a few videos there seems to be a lot of positive comments about it and nearly everyone says it's great fun to ride.

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Like 2