IPS i5 and Mten3 Comparison - New rider

lennlen

The main issue at this point is less durability in the i5 with it's open design, noted problems with qc and supposedly the possibility that they are closing their doors. Spare parts are available for the MTen3, but for the i5? I wanted an i5 but there are just too many reasons not to buy one. A 67v MTen3 with fewer cells would be more comparable.

• Like 1

May I suggest a change of pedals on the Mten3. Yes, it does make a difference.

I had also been interested on an off also about acquiring the I5 for it's last mile practicality but so far have resisted the urge. 

To be clear, I'm just going by what I've read online and I haven't even bought my first EUC yet. People mention not riding after a rain or through puddles because that might damage the i5. I guess I don't understand why it could not be sealed and still slim. If I owned one, I would look into applying some sort of electronics sealer I think. As far as durability based on a large number of sold units, I guess that would be best answered by a retailer. No spare parts are available for it, right?

On 12/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, 7th1rt3en said:

The main issue at this point is less durability in the i5 with it's open design, noted problems with qc and supposedly the possibility that they are closing their doors. Spare parts are available for the MTen3, but for the i5? I wanted an i5 but there are just too many reasons not to buy one. A 67v MTen3 with fewer cells would be more comparable.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:11 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

The reason the EUC is so slim is because of that open design but has the durability actually been worse on this EUC than any other?

On 12/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, 7th1rt3en said:

To be clear, I'm just going by what I've read online and I haven't even bought my first EUC yet. People mention not riding after a rain or through puddles because that might damage the i5. I guess I don't understand why it could not be sealed and still slim. If I owned one, I would look into applying some sort of electronics sealer I think. As far as durability based on a large number of sold units, I guess that would be best answered by a retailer. No spare parts are available for it, right?

I read a lot of the same opinions prior to buying the i5 but I did not encounter any of the problems that others ran into or hypothesized over.  I think part of this is the way I use and treat my unicycles like the investments they are, and use them within what they're designed for. More specifically to the i5, the manufacturer states an IP54 rating - somewhat dustproof and splashproof only.  I never ride in the rain, through puddles or when the road is wet.  The i5 was trouble free for the first 100mi, and should easily do a few hundred more. 

On 12/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, pico said:

May I suggest a change of pedals on the Mten3. Yes, it does make a difference.

I had also been interested on an off also about acquiring the I5 for it's last mile practicality but so far have resisted the urge. 

Thanks for the suggestion!  The pedals I saw were a bit more than what I wanted to pay.  I've been spending more time on the mten3 and my feet are starting to get acquainted.  I am finding the mten3 great for blasting around on weekend duty, but the i5 is still leaps ahead for commuting. The weight and bulk advantages are hard to ignore.  I hate that the mten3 weighs as much as my boosted v2. 

I'm still splitting my time 50/50 for fun and commuting though.  In the end, I really only need 1 wheel and will end up selling.  Happy to pass forward the i5 and you'll make the decision easier for me, hahaha. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would choose a larger faster wheel for NYC (Manhattan) commuting. As an mten owner I wouldn’t have a good time traveling within Manhattan on that wheel (i would use my 100V wheels for that) but it’s great for the outerboroughs without as much vehicle traffic. 

The mten is my favorite wheel (enjoy it more than my 100V Monster and Nikola) but I could see why it would be sketchy in Manhattan. Perhaps an MCM5 would be a good middle ground? The IPS i5 is a virtually useless wheel given its poor range and top speed, imo. 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an I5 which I start using from the end of Nov, I have done 480km so far, after 300km you can change the speed to 30km/h, I'm a heavy chap and I get around 10 miles range and up to 18mph, The things I dont like about it is been so slim you get silt and leaves stuck between the wheel and the case, so have to use a spray bottle to jet washes it. the case isnt very strong, I've broken 2 of the bolts in the housing the 2 times that I open it, one was to clean it and again when I had a puncture 2 weeks ago, If the casing was made from aluminium it would be a very strong machine, Its very light and easy to carry on the train and the range is very good for what I need it for. Oh another thing I dont have any problem riding when its wet