Caulk around motor wires? (reassembling my 18XL)

brockj

I'm getting ready to put my 18XL back together after I finish installing a new motor. I noticed that King Song has added a bunch of white caulk around the connections to the motor (also to the battery), which I had to remove to get the old motor out. 

Am I right that it's just normal silicone caulk? I have done stuff that I used around the bathroom tub, but I'm not really sure it's the same stuff, or if it's really that important to reapply in the first place.

V2wNvuj.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brockj said:

Am I right that it's just normal silicone caulk?

Your correct! Actually silicone sealant might be a better term.

Some silicone caulks are termed ‘siliconized’ which means you can paint over the surface when dry. This type of caulk does not have the same flexibility as 100% silicone caulk/sealant. This flexibility is necessary so the board’s anchoring screws and wiring connectors remain securely fastened throughout the repetitive vibrations a wheel incurs over time. 

• Like 2

how many miles you put on it before this motor change ?
do you see any place where water got trough ?...also, it was clean inside ?

(I have same wheel like you and since winter season it's coming I wanted to know if I need to open it for inspection...)

Edited by Meserias

15 hours ago, brockj said:

Am I right that it's just normal silicone caulk? I have done stuff that I used around the bathroom tub, but I'm not really sure it's the same stuff, or if it's really that important to reapply in the first place.

It's similar to silicone, but this is probably an urethane or hybrid, silicone-urethane sealant. What's worth to note, typical sanitary silicone emits acetic acid that may cause corrosion of metal parts. Of course there are also neutral-curing sanitary silicones, but hybrid sealants are best in terms of curing speed, environmental resistance and mechanical strength. Just seek for "hybrid sealant". Sikaflex 521 UV or 3M 750 are the examples.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Meserias said:

how many miles you put on it before this motor change ?
do you see any place where water got trough ?...also, it was clean inside ?

(I have same wheel like you and since winter season it's coming I wanted to know if I need to open it for inspection...)

I think you are asking because you think this is for maintenance? This was actually for a (totally unnecessary) motor upgrade, mentioned here: 

But since you asked, I have about 400 km on the wheel and have ridden it through some light rain and mud, but nothing has gotten into the interior. 

Edited by brockj
  • Like 1

If you need the stuff to reapply it, look for a neutral-cure Silicone, e.g. Kafuter K-705. Like @Seba said, don't use the acetoxy stuff (the stuff you use on sinks), because it can corrode the metal parts that the fumes touch.

Otherwise, if you're in a pinch and need something real quick, hot glue works too.

For removing them, drip isopropyl alcohol over the joint between the gunk and the substrate -- hot glue will pop right off, silicone will get softer, but still require digging to remove.

Edited by hyperair
  • Like 2