What is it with dogs and my EUC ?

soundkite

What is it with so many dogs tripping out about EUC's?  I'm wondering now if the motion and the sound freaks them out, maybe just the new motion.  Today I got bit HARD by an old dog on a leash.  He literally jerked his master over to me as I was coming to a stop at a light.  If I wasn't wearing riding pants + denim jeans, my calf bruise would be bloody punctures for sure.  I never saw it coming.  In any case, those riding pants are gonna get a lot more use now.  According to Google, dogs typically can run about 15-20 mph, so perhaps I need to upgrade from my V8 just so I can outrun them!

• Like 2

I think that when a dog sees something running away, their instinct to hunt gets engaged. :)
Every time a dog chased me, slowing down made it uninterested.

I treat dogs and children like suicidal maniacs by slowing down, keeping as far as possible and watching them like a hawk until I pass.
Maybe it's just the area I live in, or maybe it's the way I ride, but in 3300km I've had dogs chase me maybe three times and all of them ended up just sniffing me after I slowed down to a walking speed.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 8:03 AM, soundkite said:

He literally jerked his master over to me as I was coming to a stop at a light.

So you were at standstill when the dog bit you?

I have the same experience as @atdlzpae, usually dogs become uninterested when I just stop, but unfortunately not always. Sometimes they keep barking in front of me and I also have been (lightly) bitten twice by small dogs and once a bigger dog bit my wheel and wouldn't let go after I came to a stop. Running away on the wheel might be in the end more dangerous though, in particular with larger dogs. The next time I see it coming I may just step off completely of the wheel.

I believe the reason is that some dogs are genetically disposed to go after everything that they do not know (while many don't care a bit). That makes them quite useful to be trained as hunting dogs or as watchdogs, but an annoyance for us or for the infamous postman on a bicycle.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

I was in the park this afternoon on mine and had an American pit bull come flying at me. I used the cut off switch to turn the wheel off and it immediately calmed down. The lady owner was quite apologetic before opening the gate to go into a no-dogs children's area. I quietly pointed out that the area wasn't for dogs but she assured me he was fine - so I let go off the cut off switch and off the dog went again. She led the dog out and didn't say anything more. It made me smile anyway.

My guess is some wheels create sound that only dogs can hear. You'd think manufacturers would be able to tune the sound outside of any hearing range. Come to think of it, I'll put that down in the future wishes thread.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

My guess is some wheels create sound that only dogs can hear. You'd think manufacturers would be able to tune the sound outside of any hearing range. Come to think of it, I'll put that down in the future wishes thread.

I’ve heard kingsong are the worst and make dogs go mental

my V10F is almost silent, and dogs seem to take no interest 

my MSX is much louder than the V10F, but dogs don’t seem to care

maybe they know they can’t outrun the awesome MSX LOL