Ride Feel of Different Wheels

ZenGlide

There may be a post about this already, in fact, I'd be surprised if there wasn't, but my searches turned nothing up.

Can people with extensive experience with a few different wheels offer their take on the feel of different wheels, i.e. how they ride, how they handle off road, are they twitchy, torque-y etc.

Might be a good guide for people choosing new wheels and possibly newbies to the scene.

5 hours ago, ZenGlide said:

There may be a post about this already, in fact, I'd be surprised if there wasn't, but my searches turned nothing up.

Can people with extensive experience with a few different wheels offer their take on the feel of different wheels, i.e. how they ride, how they handle off road, are they twitchy, torque-y etc.

Might be a good guide for people choosing new wheels and possibly newbies to the scene.

While I'm not a seasoned pro, just over a month in, I might be able to ad a relative newbie perspective and what I've learned. I have an mten3, KS14S and Ninebot z10.  10", 14" and 16" wheels respectively.  The rule of thumb I've found is smaller diameter and lightness = agility.  Larger diameter and more weight = stability.

My riding style is "short interactive rides".  Shorter straights and more turns, sidewalks, carving, starting and stopping.  My typical straightline speed is 12-18 mph most of the time.

With my style of riding, the mten3, ks14s wheels are better suited.  They provide better maneuverability at slower speeds and might be easier to carry if needed.  For longer faster rides, my Ninebot z10 is more suited.  The Z10 is a bigger and heavier wheel and it's very stable at slow and fast straights along with corners.  The overall stability is an added benefit to a relative beginner like me.

In the beginning, I referenced YouTube reviews and wheel comparisons along with this forum to get info.  Speedyfeet, Duf and Marty Backe have extensive experience on a number of different wheels and I've gotten a lot of good info from their vids.  As a beginner if I had it to do over again, I would have bought an 18 inch wheel or Z10 because of the added stability.  Something I think newbies like me need more than anything else in the beginning.

Edited by Senior Coffee
  • Like 2