EUC to replace small type electric scooter

Alexgsi

Hello to all members, I'm new here and never tested EUC but i want to. 

I want to ask for your advice of EUC 

I have 2 electric scooters the one is double motor 67v 3200W and goes to 70kph but its really heavy. That's why i could use it when i need range and speed. I also have small type electric scooter 42v 300W that does 25kph and weights about 15kg. 

I'm thinking to replace the small one with EUC in order to be more compact and light but i would need to have faster top speed maybe about 30kph at least safe without tiltback and so on 30kph safe cruise speed. And for the range i dont need above 15-20kph for that kind of small EUC because my electric scooter does 35km and the biger one does 80km. I need just something small and portable but to be safe with 30kph 

Could you advice me for the model? 

I checked gotway mcm5 on alixpress with 170wh battery to be very cheap and also i could update the battery as i need.

I will use the euc only on short distances 

Whats the cheapest option available? Is ninebot s2 ok? 

Welcome!

20 minutes ago, Alexgsi said:

gotway mcm5 on alixpress with 170wh battery

That is just 16 or 20 cells (67.2V or 84V version) in series and none in parallel!

This way to less for the wheel - the cells will be overburdend and age/detoriate fast. And no real safe driving will be possible - every bit too much acceleration/crack/pumb/pothole (at some speed) will result in an onverlean.

"Normal consumption" of an EUC is somewhere atound 15-20Wh/km - so with good luck you'll have 10km range, driving most of it on low batteries having no fun...

So one should choose the MCM5 with "full battery" option - some ?800 Wh?

21 minutes ago, Alexgsi said:

Whats the cheapest option available? Is ninebot s2 ok? 

Not for 30 km/h. 

• Like 2

So the MCM5 800Wh should be a solid/safe 30 km/h wheel.

Also the KS16S 840Wh (35 km/h max tiltback speed)

A cheaper option would be the Inmotion V8 - but with imho ?30km/h? max tiltback speed. So more of a 25 km/h cruise speed.

Safe is very relative for EUCs, as they always need reserve torque to balance the driver. If one accelerates hard enough, all this wheels can be overleaned (faceplanted) below or around this 30 km/h. 

Inclines,cracks/pumbs/potholes increase the burden and by this reduce the safety margin...

But if one drives prudent (no (strong) accelerations at higher speeds) and anticipatory (obstacles, road conditions, inclines) they can be considered "safe".

The S2 is power/safety margin wise a big step below these wheels. Maybe 20 km/h safe cruising speed (?24? Km/h max tiltback speed) and less accelerations possible.

A big step forward (power safetywise) would be the msx/ks18xl/... Or the newest most powerful nikola plus 100V...:D ... But they are also in another price and weight category...

Maybe you find a nice used wheel?

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 3

I meant if i buy the cheapest option 210wh mcm5 and upgrade the battery myself to the maximum storage... I can do the battery myself and that will be more cheap. I know that the lowest battery wont last long 

I could learn with the stock battery and then just make it myself 800wh and will cost me about 200$

• Like 1

You need an electric unicycle-specific BMS if you want to build your own battery. Not sure if it really will be cheaper to upgrade an MCM5 than to buy the big battery one right away.

Also be aware there are 67.2V MCM5s and 84V MCM5s. The 800Wh (and 650Wh) is 84V. The 84V will be a bit stronger and nicer an faster and if you really want something that does 30kph regularly, you need an 84V.

• Like 2

Yes i figured it out they have 210wh 84v version  thats the cheapest 84v so i can update when i want to. 

What do you think between mcm5 and tesla?

Does the tesla woth the additional weight and money? I mean if we compare the same battery capacities 

The smallest tesla is 420wh 

MCM5 vs Tesla is a matter of preference. The Tesla is a bit more of a general purpose wheel, the MCM5 is a great zippy wheel, a little smaller, and the best mountain climber.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:11 PM, Alexgsi said:

The smallest tesla is 420wh 

That's going to be 67.2V again. Make sure to get 84V. Not sure if there is a 510Wh (or smaller?*) Tesla.

*Gotway uses 2900mAh and 3450mAh cells. So if you want something fully upgradable, be sure that the battery that comes with it is made from 3450mAh cells, or you can't get to the biggest battery size without replacing your existing battery pack.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

No this is 84v version tesla 2*   - 425Wh

the mcm 5 is 420wh 

The price difference is about 100$

Is the wheel size so important? 

Also i read about many problems with the tesla but not sure? 

And i wouldn't drive off road but we do have lot of potholes here

:D  You sound very typical for a new EUC rider. “Save money” “ all I need is” “ I don’t need to go far or fast”  :D  Once people learn to ride they sound very different. “ I wish I got a bigger battery and a more powerful wheel. “ :facepalm:

keeping your request in mind @Chriull gave you a list of the best wheels to get. When you add batteries later you are still subject to the restricted speed throttling in the program for the smaller batteries. ie you will be going slow for a very long time because the machine thinks you are low on parallel power. Speed reduction at 75% battery 

On 10/1/2019 at 5:24 AM, Chriull said:

So the MCM5 800Wh should be a solid/safe 30 km/h wheel.

Also the KS16S 840Wh (35 km/h max tiltback speed)

A cheaper option would be the Inmotion V8 - but with imho ?30km/h? max tiltback speed. So more of a 25 km/h cruise speed.

Safe is very relative for EUCs, as they always need reserve torque to balance the driver. If one accelerates hard enough, all this wheels can be overleaned (faceplanted) below or around this 30 km/h. 

Inclines,cracks/pumbs/potholes increase the burden and by this reduce the safety margin...

But if one drives prudent (no (strong) accelerations at higher speeds) and anticipatory (obstacles, road conditions, inclines) they can be considered "safe".

The S2 is power/safety margin wise a big step below these wheels. Maybe 20 km/h safe cruising speed (?24? Km/h max tiltback speed) and less accelerations possible.

A big step forward (power safetywise) would be the msx/ks18xl/... Or the newest most powerful nikola plus 100V...:D ... But they are also in another price and weight category...

Maybe you find a nice used wheel?

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

I would do it the other way round: keep the small scooter and replace the big one with a big EUC. 

The big euc will generally be smaller than your big scooter. For example the gotway monster can do 70kph I think? not that I encourage that.

This way you might end up ditching the small scooter as well :) 

Otherwise, if you really want to keep the big scooter and have an EUC, you should follow the usual advice: buy the euc with the biggest battery you can afford; generally that means more security, more range, more speed.

I look for all options and i will get mcm5 or tesla 2 but i can't decide which would be better? Maybe the 16"? But that would be carried anywhere with me because its not good to be locked as the electric scooter so im concerned about the weight and thats why not sure to get the tesla? 

• Like 1

If you want to replace your scooter and want do similarly the same things with the euc then go with the tesla. The higher speed and the bigger wheel makes a big difference on streets. The motor cutoff button is a huge advantage vs the mcm5. The biggest disadvantage of the tesla is the very low pedal height so if if you want extreme curving at low speed or climb hills offroad you can hit the ground easily. If you want have fun at low speed want drive a lot offroad and make nice tricks like a skateboarder then go with the mcm5.

Btw. If you go with tesla go with the biggest battery pack or you will regret that soon. It's not only the range. The possible max speed decreases with the battery loading state.

Edited by milesteg27
  • Like 1