Do you "grip" your wheel?

16 hours ago, MickeyMicklos said:

I've found these techniques to work for me. Not anything that hasnt been said before on these forums, but now its in video form, which is a bonus. :)

Nice video, I do the first three and it's indeed well explained, the pushing to have a fast acceleration I don't so far, I will test it out.. 

On 8/26/2019 at 12:56 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

hmm most experienced riders will have to pay attention, since habits are done when unaware.

I'll pay attention to it.. although for me it's a different ballgame, since I am trying to alleviate my left knee, and hence I am controlling my wheel way more with my right leg, which is most of the time against the wheel, I wouldn't call this pinching but just taking control with that right leg (which is allso my dominant one...)

My right knee is fucked.

Pretty sure I ride to compensate for that.

After watching the earlier video - I definitely lead with my right side.

Edited by HippoPig

14 minutes ago, HippoPig said:

My right knee is fucked.

Pretty sure I ride to compensate for that.

After watching the earlier video - I definitely lead with my right side.

we are mirrored :efefa6edcf:

my Left knee is ... hmm bad ;)

and I also compensate for that , that means that I do most of the steering and throttling is done with my right leg and my left leg is a bit in front, however I always swirl with that left foot, and in case of emergency breaking or having the swirl suddenly I can throw in that left knee, which helps a lot.. especially while breaking I tend to twist it to the left then.. like coming to a stop with skis on a ski slope..:D

On 8/27/2019 at 11:09 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

This morning I stood up and wanted to make pads like he showed us,

Well I've been using pads for a while now and just like riding styles and tyre pressures it's different for every rider so try different placements and angles and thicknesses

Give yr legs room to move for normal maneuvers 

Adding pads ,Do it,You will not regret it 

Do I hug my wheel im not sure

I ride as hard and fast as the terrain let's me and when it does not Im normally then eating dust 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaz Bon said:

Adding pads ,Do it,You will not regret it 

I agree, but so far I haven't found a nice padding solution yet..

my wheel is still in a superb condition, and I wonder if I start glueing pads with scotch/duck tape or whatever it will damage the rubber black coating from the KS18L .. 

does anyone has experience with that? 

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, it's greatly dependant on your stance, riding style, the height, weight and weight distribution of your wheel, etc.

On my V8 I never had the need to grip. Perhaps a little bit at the beginning, to prevent wobbles when braking hard or going down very steep hills, but that was solved by feet repositioning and time/skill. The only situation I ever grip it is when jumping up curbs or going down stairs.

On the 18XL, I generally don't grip either, even off-road (unless it's an extremely bump section that requires it), as I find it reduces manoeuvrability, which one needs plenty of when off-roading. The only time I grip is when accelerating hard (e.g., to get up a steep hill) or hard braking (although I find that wobbles can also be prevented by making little zigzag turns while braking). I also lock my outer leg in on high-speed turns, as mentioned in the video, as it makes it much easier and more stable, but for the most part, I prefer giving my legs plenty of room, it gives me much more flexibility in terms of leaning, twisting and being more agile overall.

But that's just me :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The wheel touches my legs both left and right.  It's a very light grip.  I do more carving and turns than anything else so it helps me to feel and control what the wheel is doing. 

Second, I have a knee injury that causes an imbalance so touching along with my asymetrical stance is the only way I can ride straight for any distance.