Do you "grip" your wheel?

Okay, so I have a question for you all...

Do you ever "grip" your wheel fro better control / traction / et cetera?

Most experienced riders don't cling to their wheels, but I'm interested to know if there are certain circumstances when you do???

For example, do you "pinch" your wheel while riding up a steep hill, or when you want to get some quicker acceleration?

Any and all comments and feedback will be appreciated, including what type of wheel you are riding with...

hmm most experienced riders will have to pay attention, since habits are done when unaware.

I'll pay attention to it.. although for me it's a different ballgame, since I am trying to alleviate my left knee, and hence I am controlling my wheel way more with my right leg, which is most of the time against the wheel, I wouldn't call this pinching but just taking control with that right leg (which is allso my dominant one...)

• Like 1

When I have a higher tire pressure and go from a smooth surface onto cobblestones (especially badly laid or old ones) at speed I will pinch, because the wheel will bounce around otherwise. Also when going off a drop (I don't use padding on the wheel). I don't think I pinch more going uphill than when on flat terrain, at least not consciously.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

I like to keep my feet at the outer edges of the pedals and let the body dangle between my legs

exactly , I think we have two (or maybe more?)  real distinct ways of riding people with a wider stance and then people who are more in contact with their wheel.. I am curious if some people have a real opinion on what is better or not? 

Do you also ride that loose  offroad ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cumulus Libre said:

exactly , I think we have two (or maybe more?)  real distinct ways of riding people with a wider stance and then people who are more in contact with their wheel.. I am curious if some people have a real opinion on what is better or not? 

Do you also ride that loose  offroad ?

Especially on offroad. It feels more nimble that way. And I always have the option to grip the wheel also, just close my legs a bit. 

Not sure which is better. I just feel like wider stance gives more control and allows small movements on the wheel. I also just don't like the feeling of the wheel touching my leg all the time, but that is personal preference. I learned with a narrow wheel (S2) so I never got used to gripping. 

• Like 2

Hmmmm, interesting. I'm new to all this lark, having only had my wheel a month or so, but I haven't ever tried riding it while gripping it. I don't know why, it just felt better having it loose between my legs! I'm curious to try now and see how different it feels.

• Like 1

I still consider myself a newbie but i definitely grip my wheel, especially offroad or over bumps etc.    Perhaps it is just a habit from years of dirt bike riding, as it keeps you from getting bucked off your bike/pegs, or losing foot placement/ability to reach (or accidentally activating) the shifter/brake levers when going fast over rough terrain (which is generally what I'm always doing when riding a dirt bike). 

I like to feel my wheel and what it's doing, and not feel like I might bounce off it or get into an awkward stance from an unexpected bump.

It feels a little unplanted/unstable if I don't.  

Also seems like it's practical for being ready to grip the side pads for jumping up curbs/roots etc, Kuji Rolls style.

Hmm, is it a bad habit for EUCing if experienced riders don't do it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Hmm, is it a bad habit for EUCing if experienced riders don't do it?

Experienced riders may have bad habits that they've acquired from other experienced riders. Their greater skill may make up for their bad technique.

I'm sure this thread will go back and forth between techniques, before eventually and consensually settling on the "grip wheel is better" school of thought, because the pros of gripping a wheel are overwhelmingly more than "don't grip your wheel."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I'm sure this thread will go back and forth between techniques, before eventually and consensually settling on the "grip wheel is better" school of thought, because the pros of gripping a wheel are overwhelmingly more than "don't grip your wheel."

well said and lovely written !!  ;)

it's a good metaphor for life, the bigger group isn't always right... I think we are struggling with that a lot these days :shock2:... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Experienced riders may have bad habits that they've acquired from other experienced riders. Their greater skill may make up for their bad technique.

If you’re gripping your wheel it means your stance is narrow which means you have less control of the wheel and less balance (wider stance=lower center of gravity=better balance).

Gripping is only better in certain situations. 

A wide stance is superior. You won’t even pedal scrape if you have a wide stance (feet hanging off the sides of the pedals) as your shoes will scrape the ground first and give you feedback that you’re turning too sharp before you clip the wheels pedals. 

People seem to forget that while moving you’re the one balancing on the wheel, you’re not trying to balance the wheel. Optimal balance is from a wide stance. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have always been a gripper. Earlier today curious about how Kuji does it when I saw his 16x video and like mentioned above he seems to grip pretty tight. I am thinking about making some kuji pads for my 16x as well. 

• Like 1

I am just back from a 30km ride on and offroad, and suddenly I am doubting what i meant by gripping, in the opening post by @The Fat Unicyclist he refers at it like "clinging".. for me I am not always in contact with my wheel, only when really cornering, and when it get's more rough offroad.. during normal onroad carving I am moving quite a lot on the pedals, for sake of comfort and postponing foot fatigue..

We often refer to @Kuji Rolls but I guess he's offroad capabilities are way better then mine and most of us, with my knee I don't have ambitions to jump, and really grip it what is done by some here... hmm maybe I should add,  so far ;) no in all seriousness he is really stepping on it.. and I love to see what he is able to do with a wheel, I wonder where he will be in say another year or so..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

We often refer to @Kuji Rolls but I guess he's offroad capabilities are way better then mine and most of us, with my knee I don't have ambitions to jump, and really grip it what is done by some here... hmm maybe I should add,  so far ;) no in all seriousness he is really stepping on it.. and I love to see what he is able to do with a wheel, I wonder where he will be in say another year or so..

You would be a pro too if you made modified pads like he does. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:
11 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

You would be a pro too if you made modified pads like he does. 

;) I think there is more to it then that ;) 

the skills, the perseverance to make a trick work, he seems pretty determined to make a move/obstacle work..

This morning I stood up and wanted to make pads like he showed us, so I started riding my KS18L again (it's been a while) so I could see where I should put them those pads...

I was interchanging the V10f and the KS18L all the time,  for small rides on nice tarmac roads, and in the end I left the KS18L at home again and went for a 30km plus ride on the V10F.. I know that most of the people here would probably go for the KS18L (the specs ...)  or XL but for me it simply isn't the case, and I've ridden the ks18L for more then 500km's, it's a lovely wheel but the comfort , agility , .. i think I have issues with the weight (it feels much heavier, I know the top battery story but it simply doesn't bother me) and the stiffness, the pedals, the noise.. but it out performs the V10f offroad .. 

it's a luxury problem..

For now I stick with the V10f 

• Like 2

I'm probably the only person that grips the wheel with my heels and my calves 100% of the time. Granted I've used 1500 miles of my KS18XL's 2100 mile lifespan for commuting purposes. Of which are at 30 mph in the dark over many pot holed streets. I never cruise except for when I go on group rides every month or so. In that case I find that I don't actively grip the wheel. I also ride seated sometimes so I guess I'm not gripping the wheel then either. I have to grip the wheel when going uphill. I guess I have trained myself to keep some pressure on the wheel due to way to many close calls when I've hit big bumps (medium to high speed) and the only thing that kept me on the wheel was my upper calves staying in contact with the wheel while my heels or toes were off the pedal.

• Like 2

If I have the choice to lose the wheel under my feet (due to a horizontal force on the wheel from a bump or while climbing a curb) or to grip it, I choose the latter. I (try to) mainly use the heels for gripping. This makes me somewhat dependent on ankle padding.

• Like 1

The thing about EUCs is everyone has their own riding style and has to find their own style.  Every rider is different.  Different size, weight, speed of travel, use of machine, type of terrain traveling over.

1 thing is constant though, you will need to control the machine.  Either by gripping it and/or bracing it against your body.

• Like 3