Riding Shoes

vint43

I have tried more protective gear then I care to admit.  I am probably on my 6th set trying to find the ones I like best.

However, early in my riding I got a pair of these shoes:

IRON JIA'S Motorcycle Shoes Men Streetbike Casual

(I personally purchased at Amazon - however - removed generic - non affiliate link - because a sometimes cynical world thinks everything is some sort of scam or money grab :-) )  it was neither.   

I have zero affiliation to this company, Amazon, or anything about these things.  I am just very happy I got them. 

There have been the best safety item I purchased to date in terms of meeting my satisfaction and providing some nice protection. 

They are very comfortable, have very flat souls, and really protect my feet and ankles.  They do this while still looking like regular shoes.

I have taken a lot of advice from this forum on different gear to try.  I thought I would pass on this experience.

With this type of recommendation, your mileage might vary.  However, I really have appreciated owning these riding shoes.

Edited by vint43

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

What’s with the affiliate link? 

It is not an affiliate link - it is just a link to the Amazon page where I purchased.  I have no financial relationship to Amazon.  I get nothing from it.

Purely convenience if people wanted to look them up and read other reviews.

if that is a problem - happy to remove it.  

5 hours ago, vint43 said:

It is not an affiliate link - it is just a link to the Amazon page where I purchased.  I have no financial relationship to Amazon.  I get nothing from it.

Purely convenience if people wanted to look them up and read other reviews.

if that is a problem - happy to remove it.  

I thought I saw a referral tag in the url. Here’s the most generic you can get: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WYCTRW/

11 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

I thought I saw a referral tag in the url. Here’s the most generic you can get: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WYCTRW/

Got it! 

I logged into Amazon to get to my prior orders to find the shoes.  I am guessing it picked up some URL junk from referencing back from my order history.

While we're discussing shoes...

An insole called "Walk Hero" greatly improved my New Balance sneakers for piloting the Inmotion V8, where you perch on your arches.  The "Walk Hero" distributes the footplates' support better.  (I removed the NB's removable insole and substituted the "Walk Hero".)

Later, I got a pair of DC skate shoes.  Their low heel was better (for piloting the wheel) than the raised heel of the walking shoe, but 20 minutes on the V8's diminutive footplates, and Ouch!  "Walk Hero" to the rescue.  I plucked out the DC's removable insole and substituted a "Walk Hero".  (Tip:  Make sure to pair left with left, and right with right.)

After trying innumerable dime-store insoles for approximately the same price, I was led to "Walk Hero" by the unerring algorithms of the shopping website. 

The contours of the "Walk Hero" might be a technical offense in the flat skate shoe, whose native insole was absolutely flat, but overall I like the combination of the low-heel skate shoe and the "Walk Hero" to spread the V8 footplate stress out to the parts of the foot that were built to bear a load.

• 3 weeks later...

Good question. I never thought of shoes as much as when I bought a Onewheel Pint that seems impossible to ride without the right shoes. In that process, I got rid of the Pint but tried them all on the EUC (V10). 

I realized that all except the Vibrams felt fine on the EUC. I don't need special shoes. However that said, when I rode for 11 minutes straight, my feet seemed like they were not gripping the pedals well. So I may try my new Vans skateboard shoes on the next ride to see if they make a difference.  

Edited by Lillian
Typo correction

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

Are skateboard shoes preferable for EUCs?

I think MC shoes are not seen as much here because they often offer none or very little shock absorption. But the shoe type is completely up to the rider. Some prefer very high tire pressures with zero cushioning in the shoe as well, while others opt for a cushy tire and even cushier shoes.

The key is to have shoes that are a good fit to one’s feet and preferations. Sketchers is a brand of cushy shoes that a few riders seem to swear by.

My feet are a bit problematic, so I’ve gone through a huge amount of shoes trying to find ones that would enable long rides for me. MC, walking, casual, sneakers, hiking boots, you name it. This summer I got to another level in comfort by purchasing my first pair of basketball shoes. Great cushioning, a very stiff outer sole, and a decent ankle support are what clearly seem to work the best for me. Paired with nicely arched thick comfort insoles, I can now ride for much longer without my feet getting sore or numb.

Adidas Ultra Boost is a wonderful cushioning system, but unfortunately the Marquee Boost turned out to be too narrow for me, and as the Nike Hyperdunk was recently discontinued, I got myself a pair of local discounted Under Armours.

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

Are skateboard shoes preferable for EUCs?

I wear Nike SB Zoom Blazer mid-tops I picked up at a local skate shop. I really enjoy riding in them, 3rd shoe I tried.  

https://www.nike.com/t/sb-zoom-blazer-mid-skate-shoe-qX3MZV/864349-002

I am wondering what I am going to do for the upcoming wet months though. Been looking at some of the dianese offerings. 

Had to buy new shoes: My Etnies had no grip anymore. Tested these:

https://www.vans.co.uk/shop/en-gb/vans-gb/men/sk8-hi-pro-shoes-vn000vhg1oj#hero=0

Never had this brand. After 100km of riding can say not as comfy and roomy as my old etnies but superb grip.

Maybe after breaking in will have some comfynes.