Are we in the golden age of EUCs? Will it end?

Ok I know that title sounds ridiculous, but bare with me a second here. It will make sense.

I saw @Marty Backe or someone talking about how reliable EUCs are, and how well they perform, and how accidents only really are from users for the most part (90+%). It's because these things are made VERY well. Well, aren't there examples of products that used to be badass, but then were made like ass, in the past.. for the consumers? 

Haven't we heard the phrase, covering many things: "they don't make them like they used to. my XXX used to run/be awesome, now they are made of XXX and do XXX, sucks".

Will these things become so popular that they will be made to break more often? I'm worried about the future of my lovable EUCs.

I'm sure someone will come back with a "of course not, because xyz", hopefully.
Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

Depends on how you define Golden Age. If your analogy is for flight, then the Golden Age of Flight (approximate between the two World Wars) was a period of exceptional aviation development with grim numbers of young pilot (and engineers/designers) dying.

However, a Golden Age often means (and maybe usually) a greater proportion of the general population enjoying a higher standard of living. For example, Rome the city under Hadrian in the 3rd century BC was reckoned by Gibbon to be Rome's Golden Age, while England's Golden Age was between 1812 to 1914 (the London sewage system was conceived and built in 1859, and the designer Joseph Bazalgette might very well be the person who has ever saved the most number of lives).

Golden Age? If the definition is fast and furious development (personally I'd call that The Wild West), then we might be slightly past it because Wheels seem to be converging both in looks and performance. If your Golden Age is safety, reliability, price, and market penetration, then I think we're just coming into it, especially as eScooters and OneWheels have saturated urban areas (like they should).

• Like 3

There's a lot of nostalgia associated with people who pine for the older products. Sure, there are some aspects where things were built 'tougher' in the old days, or built to last, etc.

But I can tell you that the reliability of my car in the 70's was crap compared to today. It was built tougher for sure, but the quality, performance, functionality, etc., was awful.

Due to the nature of EUCs (self balancing wheels that injure people when they fail) they will always be getting better IMO.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree.  Barring any significant backlash against the EUC (fingers crossed) they should improve as time goes on.  You don't hear anybody pining for the days of Ford's Model T :)

Just think.  In 50 years, when we can install cold fusion batteries in our EUCs, we can glide around endlessly.  Just make sure you store it properly, otherwise:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, TedTheAtheist said:

Well, aren't there examples of products that used to be badass, but then were made like ass, in the past.. for the consumers?

You're a conscious consumer. You won't buy crap

Today you can also buy Nexus 6p (that failed jerryrigeverything's bend test) or Cat S61 which is nearly indestructible. Your choice.

You'll have even bigger choice in 20 years and getting the same quality as today will be way cheaper. :)